Bloody Sundays: Violence against peaceful protesters from Selma to Belfast

I really don't think Northern Ireland will ever be peaceful, there is too much hatred on both sides. Stirring the pot by Obama won't help.

I served 2 years in the province. Whilst it appears to be "quiet" to the outside world, the troubles have never gone away.

I served 2 years in the province. Whilst it appears to be "quiet" to the outside world, the troubles have never gone away.

Wot he says[emoji1]
There may not be the sounds of gunfire or explosions going off in the city in the night anymore, but the hatred is still simmering and violence is never far away.
I don't think it would ever return to the bad days of the 70-80's and even for part of the 90's, but nothing would surprise me as far as NI is concerned.
It's a similar to a having a mixture of snakes in a sack, some will bite and kill you on seeing you, some will hiss and spit at you while the rest of them don't give a shit who you are and just want to be left alone.
It is a political nightmare and unfortunately until 9/11, the majority of funds raised for the terrorist in NI came from collection tins in the USA.
The last Ira killing was against a prison officer a couple of years ago I think.
The good news is that the Ira have been infiltrated, they know it but not to what scale, so many bombs have been discovered over the last 10 years that would of been impossible without inside information. At the height of the troubles the government knew who all the main players were and could of ended the killing in a couple of months, unfortunately human rights would of been ignored and mass killings and internment would of been the priority, innocents would of died and Britain would of been the new outcast country.

I know MLK would not have marched with that trash , King was a big Family man get married before having children and everyone needs to work hard for a living .

I was driving a London bus in Oxford Street on the day the IRA planted three bombs, I was stopped at a bus stop opposite the Wimpy burger bar where one of the bombs was found. A policeman ran over and told me to move the bus. A little while later the bomb went off killing a bomb disposal officer.

During that period I never knew if I was coming home that night.

There was a sh!te load of bomb scares on the underground. Within 24 hours there posters on all bus's and underground stations and trains for the public to be on the look out for any unaccompanied packages.

My conductor found a shopping trolley under the stairs of our bus after all the passengers had got off. I got hold of the inspector on duty, the daft bugger shook the shopping trolley. I don't know what he said because I was 300 meters up the road.

Back