Bloody Revolt in a Village Challenges the Rulers of China - Page 2

--
Boots

April 15th, 2005  
A Can of Man

I'll ask a friend who studied in China. He's not in China anymore though. He's originally from Hong Kong.
April 15th, 2005  
Boobies

Topic: hehe...

13th, ask him how superstitious HK and Southern Chinese are at once as well. That is why you see Chinese people don't like the number 4 for it sound like "death" in Chinese. Lot of Chinese and TW people love the number of 8 and 9, because they represent good luck and fortune.

Many Chinese people superstitiously believed cremation deters eternal rest of human soul, thus bring destruction and unrest to the family. And yes, superstitiously, girls are represent lost of fortune and some times means bad luck when married out of the family. And Yes, superstitiously, boys represent dragons that brings wealth into family.

And I did live in HK for a bit while lived in CHina for 17 years. Although, I can't represent complete Chinese perspectives, I do know a few things about China and Chinese.
April 15th, 2005  
Whispering Death

The number 4 thing is a Japanese custom. I don't think the Chinese share it?
--
Boots
April 15th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Topic: Re: Heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobies
I lived in China for 17 years. Do I count?
You are officially recognized and counted sir. Consider yourself priveledged for this great honor.

Quote:
it is nice to hear stuff from the locals. However, I find that many westerners and politicians use what these locals wants and desires to degrade China (ignoring its desire to move forward) generate anti-China, and possible stage movements that overthrow the government. Instead of helping Chinese from economic and educational side, westerners tend to rattle that country's foundation in the name of freedom and liberty, yet ignore the eventual hardship Chinese will be facing.
I don't think that it should be surprising that the West is wary of China. From the Western perspective, China sends a lot of mixed/confusing signals. They want to promote world peace and stability, but they also want to invade Taiwan and punish Japan. They want to move away from Communism, but the Communist Party planning on giving up power ... ever as far as we know. China wants and needs help from the West, but it doesn't want or need the West at all.
April 15th, 2005  
A Can of Man

4 is to east Asia what 13 is in the West.
It applies in Korea as well.
Hong Kong people are pretty superstitious. They burn paper mache Rolls Royces and fake paper money to appease the spirits of their ancestors when it's that time of year again. I lived there a few years myself.
April 16th, 2005  
Boobies

Topic: Ya...

Thanks Thunder!

China is trying to carve out its own version (or not) of democratic system. To western countries, China's path is a bit ambivalent. I sometimes puzzle the small-steps in obvious situations. Many fundamental issues are deep rooted with 5000 years of baggage. There are definitely many things need to be considered before a full blown democracy can be executed at this time. The #1 social concern now will be: economic reform and educational system for rural communities: an education system targets ridding of superstition and unscientific practices that has no connection with religion.

And the sometimes overboard Pride thing as well!
April 16th, 2005  
MadeInChina

i agree that the numbers are correct and what happened is true, howver, western sources states their views with bias and is sometimes not focused on the true issue, as in the case with anti-jap demostrations, in which almost half of the article is about the comminest government
April 16th, 2005  
rajkhalsa

Thanks guys, for all your perspectives

I have another somewhat related question. What kind of political representation (through the CPC) do the rural Chinese have? I know that educational opportunities (and city/industry hoku(sp) housing permits) are very hard to come by if you are not a CPC member of standing, or come from a powerful family. That being said, what is the political structure of rural China like?
April 16th, 2005  
MadeInChina

in rural china i can say one thing, and that is they miss chairman mao when he put them as the number one piority in china

btw, if there was pics of this so-called protest, i would be glad to see it, other wise i would think its a rumor
April 16th, 2005  
Xion

lol , it doesnt mean its a rumour because you can't accept the truth

holy hell, there are hoardes of news agencies reporting what their reporters saw with their naked eyes and this above guy sitting in canada is telling that its a rumour, lmfao, you are truly a communist