Bloody Israeli raid on flotilla sparks crisis

--

June 1st, 2010  
longriver

Topic: Bloody Israeli raid on flotilla sparks crisis

aeli commandos rappelled down to an aid flotilla sailing to thwart a Gaza blockade on Monday, clashing with pro-Palestinian activists on the lead ship in a botched raid that left at least nine passengers dead.
Bloodied passengers sprawled on the deck and troops dived into the sea to save themselves during several hours of hand-to-hand fighting that injured dozens of activists and six soldiers. Hundreds of activists were towed from the international waters to Israeli detention centers and hospitals.

International condemnation was swift and harsh as scrambled to explain how what was meant to be a simple takeover of a civilian vessel went so badly awry.

Bloody Israeli raid on flotilla sparks crisis
June 1st, 2010  
Shmack

Hmmm.. what did they kill them for? Wasn't it enough just to arrest them?? Anyway, i've heared that attacking ships in international waters is called piracy.
June 1st, 2010  
Shmack

Oh, i got it, watch this:
Close-Up Footage of Mavi Marmara Passengers Attacking IDF Soldiers
--
June 1st, 2010  
Moloch

Well, that's the way you deal with people entering your ships in international waters...Oh and btw: watch 0:48. The guy with the metal rod at the right end of the circle. Looks like he's wearing combat gear to me. Who's attacking who, hm?
June 1st, 2010  
senojekips

The long and the short of it was summed up by Shmack.

Under the definitions of International Maritime Law this attack was at the very least, state sanctioned piracy,... at worst an act of war. The Israeli thugs certainly deserved far worse than they received. The fact that they were complying with illegal orders is no defence. (Nuremburg 1946)

Blaming people for defending themselves and their ship is patently stupid and about all that could be expected of a pariah state like Israel.
June 2nd, 2010  
Prapor

To speak from some experience here (3 years in Russian Border Guard sea patrol, chasing down poachers, drug runners, and people smugglers in the Pacific), we never had to kill anyone. Well, there was that one unfortunate case, a Japanese illegal fisherman, couple yers back now. They tried to ram a Russian patrol boat after being told to stop, turn off thier engine, and prepare to be boarded. As a result, the guards fired warning shots, and one bullet hit the young man in the head... There was a bit of an uproar about that too. I mean, even in Russia they usually don't kill people over... fish, you know. But, the usual procedure over there is, if the ship does comply, stop, and shut off; board, detain the crew, and take control of the ship. If they run, fire, take out their engine, then repeat the previous steps. If they try to fight, or ram, again, fire at engine, then board, preference is - take alive, using hand to hand combat techniques. And we are good at that. In Crimea, back in 2006, seven Russian Paratroopers and Black Sea Fleet Marines got into a barroom brawl with about 30 other people, mostly local Crimean Tatars, many of whom were also armed with knives, chairs, you name it. The Russians had no weapons, the Paras were there on vacation; the Marines were on leave from their nearby base, left their arms there. They beat up the hooligans, stabbed one with his own knife, threw another out a window, and had them running, screaming for help, by the time the police got there.

Are Israeli commandos not trained as well as Russian special forces?I mean, if 7 of our guys can fight 30 people with chairs and knives and rebar and win, can't 15 of Israel's?
June 2nd, 2010  
KJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prapor
Are Israeli commandos not trained as well as Russian special forces?I mean, if 7 of our guys can fight 30 people with chairs and knives and rebar and win, can't 15 of Israel's?

They probably could, but not hanging from fastropes ya know..

BTW, HOW in the world do you hit someone in the head with a warningshot?
Hahaha.

//KJ.
June 3rd, 2010  
Wolf

I don't see how attacking commandos from an enemy faction in the middle of the ocean would improve the situation, but maybe I'm just trying to be too cerebral.
June 3rd, 2010  
Westpac Wayfarer

It seems to me that the Turk Blockade Runners fared better than the Somali Pirates that encountered the Russian Navy the other day. Has anyone pointed out yet that the Blockade is operated jointly by Israel and Egypt?
June 3rd, 2010  
Prapor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westpac Wayfarer
It seems to me that the Turk Blockade Runners fared better than the Somali Pirates that encountered the Russian Navy the other day. Has anyone pointed out yet that the Blockade is operated jointly by Israel and Egypt?
Those were pirates. These are unarmed aid workers. There is a difference.