Blood in the Water

Whispering Death

American politics here. Simple question: Do you think Democrats are starting to see blood in the water?

To be blunt, Bush has never looked so infebled and incompetent as he has this year. A Republican House, Senate, and White house have been able to accomplish nothing except for a highway bill that is notorious for its government waste. But the list of failures are long from social security being shot down to Katrina to American soldiers still at their highest numbers in Iraq.

And now Bush seems to be on the verge of losing on the "No Torture" bill as it is looking like it's going to pass the house virtually unchanged since McCain wrote it.

A wounded Republican party and a dying president? Are they now in a perfect position to stop any attempts at legislation and set up for an 06-08 revival sweeping them back into office, running on a "remember how great things where in the 90s when we ran this country" mantra? Do you think there's blood in the water?

I don't exactly understand what you mean by "blood in the water", but I do find it curious that the Democrats are so quite and timid. If I was in the opposition my guns would be blasting and I would seize every chance I have to show the other's failure to do the right thing. (That is the good thing about opposition; you can point atall the failures and you don't have to solve anything)

As I stated in a previous forum, I have little faith in our political system lasting much longer. I foresee a gradual implosion of the system as more and more decisions are influenced by a vastly uninformed popular media and more conflict is created through the development of high-tech, albeit sometimes purposeless, weapons. In short, monetary disruptions and too many damn opinions in reporting will be the death of us yet. And as that happens, we get doomsday: a proliferation of terorrism in the U.S. because, due to that weakened state, we give the impression of a target ripe for the picking.

In the immediate future, I see devices such as the CajunBot coming under fire, simply because it's a bullet magnet and therefore not too cost effective. Good in theory though.

Actually, WD, were we not discussing the political state of the country? Sure, I feel that the Dems are trying to take advantage of the right wing, after all we are talking politicians here. I was just elaborating on that. Sorry for the rant/tangent/whatever you want to call it :)

Or, if you meant the CajunBot comment, I was referring to the popular media sensationalizing it, then reality proving it to be inadequate, exacerbating our political system coming under fire from the home front.

p.s., I generally stand moderate on 95% of issues, just in case that should come into question.

Last edited:
Does anyone here actually think that the Democrats would not use current affaires and shoot them full of holes? Overhere too is the opposition the largest party at this moment. But how hard can it be? You can slamdunk every misstep, lay it under a loop and let the media do the rest! Every job is easy if you can point at the misstakes and you don't have to fix them!
So my guess is the the water is bright red and we have great whites swimming around looking for prey!

Rising economy lifts Bush popularity

By Robin Toner and Marjorie Connelly The New York Times
After months of political erosion, President Bush's approval rating improved markedly in the latest New York Times/CBS News Poll, largely tracking Americans' more positive attitudes toward the economy.
But his presidency is still plagued by widespread doubts about his handling of the war in Iraq, with 52 percent saying the Bush administration intentionally misled the public when its officials made the case for war. A majority of Americans want the United States to set some timetable for troop withdrawal; 32 percent want the number of American troops reduced and 28 percent want a total pullout.
The survey, conducted Dec. 2-6, showed Bush's approval rating at 40 percent, up from 35 percent a month ago, which was the low point of his presidency. His gains primarily came among men, independents, 18-to-29-year-olds and conservatives. He remains a fiercely polarizing figure, with an approval rating of 79 percent among Republicans, 12 percent among Democrats and 34 percent among independents.
Overall, 53 percent of Americans disapprove of his job performance, down from 57 percent a month ago.

http://www.sltrib.com/nationworld/ci_3288984

Back