Blessed morn a' fowk.

In the Paras, they also have Colour Sergeants. In the army, usually, infantry regiments have Colour Sergeants. The rank in days gone by came from the role they performed. They were responsible for the safety of the regiment battle colours which were displayed as the regiment marched into battle. Teeth arms such as RMP, RE, R Signals etc have Staff Sergeants. ;)
My mistake. :bang: they do!!!

Well! one should not drink the golden brew and write at the same time. :drink::horsie:

My mistake. :bang: they do!!!

Well! one should not drink the golden brew and write at the same time. :drink::horsie:

You know this is the first time that I've encountered a senior ranking Sgt that is... well.... a nice chap, most of the time, the RSMs, especially, they just want to make salads out of you!

These RSMs, they must have murdered a member of their family to be one...! :hide:

My old RSM at Tidworth was renowned for being nasty. We had a spate of discipline jobs from various regiments in the garrison. Our RSM assembled all the RSMs from the garrison in his office, chewed them out and told them, any more unrest from their troops - he was going to jail them, now get out!!! We had no more trouble after that!!! :D :D :D

First you shoot down a helicopter, then you defeats a warship with AT and small arms fire. Yeah, sure sounds like a day's work for an RM. :wink:

All in the corps have great respect for your performance that day.
Well done. :thumb::pray:
Thank you Sir. I like to think we lived up to what was expected of us.

In the Paras, they also have Colour Sergeants. In the army, usually, infantry regiments have Colour Sergeants. The rank in days gone by came from the role they performed. They were responsible for the safety of the regiment battle colours which were displayed as the regiment marched into battle. Teeth arms such as RMP, RE, R Signals etc have Staff Sergeants. ;)
But its not consistently used in the infantry or what? Have also seen the rank used by RAMC and REME. There are so many trations and forms of address in the armed forces.

You know this is the first time that I've encountered a senior ranking Sgt that is... well.... a nice chap, most of the time, the RSMs, especially, they just want to make salads out of you!

These RSMs, they must have murdered a member of their family to be one...! :hide:
We generally are nice chaps.
WO´s are generally grumpy old men.

But its not consistently used in the infantry or what? Have also seen the rank used by RAMC and REME. There are so many traditions and forms of address in the armed forces.

That's why I said usually. There are so many strange ranks such as Lance Serjeant(with a J) Corporal and Sergeant of horse, Corporal Major just to name a few. Don't get me started on the simple Private soldier. Depends what unit they're in, they could be a Trooper, Gunner, Ranger, Sapper, Craftsman, Guardsman, all of which are privates!!!

That's why I said usually. There are so many strange ranks such as Lance Serjeant(with a J) Corporal and Sergeant of horse, Corporal Major just to name a few. Don't get me started on the simple Private soldier. Depends what unit they're in, they could be a Trooper, Gunner, Ranger, Sapper, Craftsman, Guardsman, all of which are privates!!!

It was simpler in the RAF, if you didn't know what the blokes rank meant you shouted "OY YOU....................ERK." Unless it was the SWO who liked being addressed as "god."

I saw a bloke in Germany in an Irish Regiment with 4 stripes. He looked important so I kept out of his way.

Back