Blame the victim?

Oh, now I get it... So I wasnt mistaking, it was the cossacks that were persecuted by the Soviets. Because I remember stories about some "special characters" described as cossacks scattered all over Europe before and after WWII.
(I say special characters because the society was very "bourgeois" at that time... They werent very open minded, racist even and they were easily chocked. So when they receive at home a young man who wasnt used to "good company", they didnt take it well. and years after that, they are still speaking about how the man didnt know how to properly use a fork...)

I dont know why, In my mind they were linked with the Ottoman Empire somehow. I'm ashamed, I dont know much about the history of the world in this part of the world. Asia/Eastern Europe... Well, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Oh, now I get it... So I wasnt mistaking, it was the cossacks that were persecuted by the Soviets. Because I remember stories about some "special characters" described as cossacks scattered all over Europe after WWII.

I dont know why, In my mind they were linked with the Ottoman Empire somehow. I'm ashamed, I dont know much about the history of the world in this part of the world. Asia/Eastern Europe... Well, thanks for sharing.

After WWII, the British forcibly repatriated many thousands of Cossacks, many of whom were in exile since the Civil War, and some number who fought against Stalin in WWII, to the USSR. Most were executed there, most others ended up in GULag camps...

Wasn't bad for all time though, under Stalin, Cossacks were allowed to exist on. Fought for USSR in the Great War too... In 1945, they were even included in the Victory Parade
g21122_KubanCossacks1945.jpg
KubanCossacks2.jpg

Stalin, when he deported all the Chechens and other mountain people to Kazakhstan, gave many of their lands to Cossacks.

In 1949, even a movie was made, Kubanskie Kazaki ("Cossacks of the Kuban river"), that showed our culture, our life
11721199.jpg

37c499d34b2d.jpg
bd98a14c9969.jpg
kubanskie.kazaki.avi.image6.jpg
original.jpg
1600606921291788400.jpg

Stalin was our friend, strange as it is...

But after, under Khrushchev, et al, they feared us, I think. In Novocherkassk, in 1954, I believe it was, 1 year into Khrushchev's reign, his KGB troops fired on Cossack protesters, killed dozens of people, included children... That was the start.

I recognize the actor, the blond guy... Isnt there a scene where they are singing with a smile with women while harvesting cereals?

Yes, but you have immediately done it again. A striking slice of 20th c. history backed by fantastic photos! Are you a film-maker? Thank you anyway. Brilliant military history.:bravo:

No, I am not a film-maker. I just use Google realy well :D

I recognize the actor, the blond guy... Isnt there a scene where they are singing with a smile with women while harvesting cereals?

That would be Sergey Lukyanov, I think? Yes, I believe there is a scene like that.

And you mention nothing of the Karelians.....

They did suffer a lot, under the Tsars and under the Communists too. Tried to fight for their Ukhta Republic back in the Civil War, that went nowhere for them.

Today though, they make some advancements. They are asking, for example, for their national flag
________________235546.png

to be Karelia's official Republic flag instead of this that they have now
kar_1993.gif

I think Putin and Medvedev will give it to them too, it is a little thing after all.

They all use that one anyway, on their cars and houses and all, except for the Vepsi, a small Finnic tribe who also live there.
115.jpg

They use this one
.jpg

Note, by the way, the difference in traditional dress from ethnic Karels
photo_get.pl

Vepsi are a very distinct people from Karels. Common misconception lumps them together.

Last edited:
You werent joking when you said there was similarities with the Taleba... What's this? Some kind of burka? ^^

You werent joking when you said there was similarities with the Taleba... What's this? Some kind of burka? ^^

I don't know. They are Finnic people, Lutheran Christians.
image.html

Famous for their ancient wooden churches
35.jpg

That's about all I know about them.

Wooden churches, that's new for me... Oh noes, evil godless termites!!!! ... That would be funny...

Actually, they now put some poison into the walls that kills the termites, ants, and other insects bad for the wood. At least, that is what they said on some TV show I saw about Karelia and their wooden churches...

спасибо Prapor :pray:

This is really interesting.
And you also have descendant of Vikings in Russia - cool!
He he he - we will soon take over most of the world again! :viking:

спасибо Prapor :pray:

This is really interesting.
And you also have descendant of Vikings in Russia - cool!
He he he - we will soon take over most of the world again! :viking:

Well, yeah. Varyags were a Viking tribe that founded the Great Kingdom of Novgorod in year 850. That is considered the first functioning Russian state. They mixed with Slavic Rus people in the area, and the two took one name, Ross, hence Russian name for Russia is Rossya :)

The First Tsar, Great Duke of Novgorod Rurik
63861862_P8170148.JPG

was a Varyag. Such Russian rulers as Ivan the Terrible were descendants of the Rurikovich Dynasty.

Varyags/Vikings are a huge part of our history.

Back