A Blade for Forest Exploration

zander_0633

Milforum Gnat
I will be going to a Jungle exploration tekking in the Jungles of Malaysia this year, SO I thought of buying a Machete. Any recommendations? Should I buy one with a shealth? Any brand to reccommend?

Last edited:
Do you have a GPA? GPA would be great if you using it in jungle, if you're lost. Use your GPA. Yeah, take machete with you. That's my suggest.

zander_0633 said:
I will be going to a Jungle exploration tekking in the Jungles of Malaysia this year, SO I thought of buying a Machete. Any recommendations? Should I buy one with a shealth? Any brand to reccommend?

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-45656.html

1st choice
Meyerco Machete, 22.00 in., Rubber Overmold Handle, Nylon Sheath
Features a 22.00 in. machete with a 420 stainless steel head and a rubber overmold handle. Comes complete with a nylon sheath. $33.99 with nylon sheath.

2nd Choice
Ontario Knife Company 1-18SBK Machete With Saw Teeth
18 in. machete blade with saw back blade made of 1095 carbon steel, a black oxide coating and full tang construction. Black high impact shatterproof polymer handles with steel compression rivets. 23.25 in. overall. No sheath included. $32.99 (Buy a cheap canvas sheath at the Army surplus store.)

Fox said:
Do you have a GPA? GPA would be great if you using it in jungle, if you're lost. Use your GPA. Yeah, take machete with you. That's my suggest.
I think you meant GPS. Typos suck sometimes.

Missileer said:
http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-45656.html

1st choice
Meyerco Machete, 22.00 in., Rubber Overmold Handle, Nylon Sheath
Features a 22.00 in. machete with a 420 stainless steel head and a rubber overmold handle. Comes complete with a nylon sheath. $33.99 with nylon sheath.

2nd Choice
Ontario Knife Company 1-18SBK Machete With Saw Teeth
18 in. machete blade with saw back blade made of 1095 carbon steel, a black oxide coating and full tang construction. Black high impact shatterproof polymer handles with steel compression rivets. 23.25 in. overall. No sheath included. $32.99 (Buy a cheap canvas sheath at the Army surplus store.)

Missileer hit the nail right on it's head. Those are some good ones.

I would prefer one with a shealth! Thanks! Any more recommendations? Wad about those used by the US army?

11359.jpg
This is the Ontario! It looks nice! With a guard, but too bad, there is no Shealth. Wad about sharpening the knife? If I shapen a knife with a black blade, will the colour come off?

btw, would a machete with a hand guard be better? Are there any finer points to look out for?

Last edited:
zander_0633 said:
I would prefer one with a shealth! Thanks! Any more recommendations? Wad about those used by the US army?

11359.jpg
This is the Ontario! It looks nice! With a guard, but too bad, there is no Shealth. Wad about sharpening the knife? If I shapen a knife with a black blade, will the colour come off?

btw, would a machete with a hand guard be better? Are there any finer points to look out for?

Well, I picked these mainly for the quality. The coating will come off only at the edge where sharpened. The need for a hand guard will be self explanatory after you go through some pretty thick brush. It and a rubber overcoat on the handle will keep it from slipping out of your hand when wet and taking your partner's leg off.

You can use a stone for sharpening but I prefer a small bastard cut file with a wood handle hammered onto the tang.(so you can keep all your fingers.)

I'm not sure what the militarys of the world use but they are usually from the lowest bidder. Always put pride in your tools and they will serve you well. Rust and dullness on a knife blade can each kill you.

Remember that a machete is probably the most useful and most dangerous tool of a hiker, camper. Wrap the handle with some nylon cord, you may need it. One other thing, coat your file with a thin coat of vaseline.

Wrap the handle with nylon cord? Can I know what use can it do? Is the nylon cord acting as a lanyard for the machete? File? Is the file on the machete or is it a separate file for sharpening my machete? BTW, wad is the file used for?

I have that very model, works great expect for one thing. When you are cutting through hard wood. SOmetimes your hand will lose it's grip and your knuckles will slam into the hand guard. IT HURTS. But It also protects the hand from far worse pain and damage. And do wrap some 550 Para cord around the grip. It keeps your sweat from making you lose your grip.

Well, in my country, only the Gurkha's use the Khukri. Heard it is a good weapon! Only buy a Khukri from Nepal! If not, it is not a really and good one! BTW, I heard that once a Khukri is drawn, it MUST SEE BLOOD!

BTW, 5.56, do you have the Ontario one which I posted the pic? Any reccomendation how do I order the machete into my country and how much would it cost?

Yeah, the one in the picture. As to ordering it into your country. I have no clue.

Last edited:
zander_0633 said:
Well, in my country, only the Gurkha's use the Khukri. Heard it is a good weapon! Only buy a Khukri from Nepal! If not, it is not a really and good one! BTW, I heard that once a Khukri is drawn, it MUST SEE BLOOD!

BTW, 5.56, do you have the Ontario one which I posted the pic? Any reccomendation how do I order the machete into my country and how much would it cost?

Khukris are too heavy, the blade is designed for, literally, beheading an opponent so it's too thick. You want a thinner, slightly springy and longer blade to cut brush. The para cord can be wrapped with a loop for a lanyard but it can also be removed quickly to form a tourniquet if you slip up with a long sharp blade.

zander_0633 said:
I heard the Khukri is good when used in the rainforest and used against thick branches!
You can use a stone as a hammer if you need to but why?
Use the correct tool for the job and the effort needed is less.
I recomend:
Pro-tool industries 'Woodsmans pal' with the Universal knucklegaurd fitted

sven hassell said:
You can use a stone as a hammer if you need to but why?
Use the correct tool for the job and the effort needed is less.
I recomend:
Pro-tool industries 'Woodsmans pal' with the Universal knucklegaurd fitted

Any pics on this?

zander_0633 said:
So you are saying that Khukris are not practical if I want to use it regularly?

You'll get tired and a sore arm swinging a blade that's too short and too heavy. Use a machete. A khukri is okay for a hatchet, not a sling blade for vines and foliage.

Ok the problem of importing has been solved! So now back to the knives! Do I buy a knive made from Stainless steel or a Carbon steel one? Which is better?
Any special brands to reccomend?

Back