Black Hawk Down Quotes

GuyontheRight

Quotes from Black Hawk Down (2001)

Nobody asks to be a hero, it just sometimes turns out that way.
-Sgt Eversmann

Y'know what I think? Don't really matter what I think. Once that first bullet goes past your head, politics and all that shit just goes right out the window.
-Sgt "Hoot"

It's what you do right now that makes a difference.
-Sgt Strucker

Where's the rescue squad?
-Mike Durant
Were It
-Sgt Randy Shughart

Remember, we're Rangers not some sorry-ass JROTC. We're Elite. Let's act like it out there. Hoo-ah?
-Sgt Eversmann

If we don't hold down this city we are gonna have 100 caskets to fill by morning.
-General Garrison

You shouldn't have come here. This is a civil war. This is our war, not yours.
-Osmann Otto
General Garrison: 300,000 dead and counting. That's not a war Mr. Atto. That's genocide.
-General Garrison

Well, I'm here to kick some ass.
-Pfc Todd Blackburn

LTC McKnight: You, get up there and drive!
Clay Othic: But I'm shot Colonel!
LTC McKnight: Everybody's shot! We need the prisoners, let's go!

I made *coffee* during Desert Storm.
-Grimes

Dominick Pilla: Colonel! Colonel! They're shooting at us!
LTC McKnight: Well shoot back!

Do you think if you get General Aidid, we will simply put down our weapons and adopt American democracy? That the killing will stop? We know this. Without victory, there will be no peace. There will always be killing, see? This is how things are in our world.
-Abdullah 'Firimbi' Hassan

Who's hungry?
-Hoot

More Here-
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265086/quotes

The real SGT Eversmann, now a Master Sergeant (E-8) is at my ROTC battalion. He's also my advisor. I'm tellin you, this guy is badass...one of the most kickass people I've met in my life..

I cant remeber who said it but right after they got the go code,
Good luck and remeber no one gets left behind.
-Whats wrong?
Nothing its just that hes never done that before
Aw shit!

Some more that I gleamed from watching the movie again.

"I was talking to Blackburn the other day...and he asked me, "What changed? Why are we going home?" And I said, "Nothing." But that's not true, you know. I think everything's changed. I know I've changed.

You know, a friend of mine asked me before I got here...it was when we were all shipping out. He asked me: "Why are you going to fight somebody else's war? What, do y'all think you're heroes?

I didn't know what to say at the time...but if he asked me again, I'd say no. I'd say there's no way in hell. Nobody asks to be a hero. It just sometimes turns out that way.

I'll talk to your ma and pa when I get home, okay?"
-SSGT Eversmann to CPL Smith's body at the end of the movie

"Hoot": When I get home people 'll ask me, "Hey Hoot, why do ya do it man? Why? Just some war junkie?" Ya know what I'll say? I won't say a goddamn word. Why? They won't understand. They won't understand why we do it. They won't understand that it's about the men next to you, and that's it. That's all it is.
-To Eversmann

"Hoot": See you're thinking. Don't. Cuz' Sergeant, you can't control who gets hit or who doesn't or who falls out of a chopper or why. It ain't up to you. It's just war.
-To Eversmann

Now, I don't know exactly who this is quoting, but from what I skimmed from on imdb.com it's SFC Randy Shugart's voice that says it at the end. I'm guessing it's from a death letter he wrote to his wife. Does anyone know for sure who it's from?

"My love, you are strong and you will do well in life. I love you and my children deeply. Today and tomorrow, let each day grow and grow. Keep smiling and never give up, even when things get you down. So, in closing, my love...tonight, tuck my children in bed warmly. Tell them I love them. Then hug them for me...and give them both a kiss good night for Daddy."

EDIT: Forgot this one too:

[A dying Ruiz speaking to Cpt. Steele]
Lorenzo Ruiz: Don't go back out there without me. I can still do my job.

Yea it's Randy, the movie kinda touched on him and his wife breifly before the mission. At least Im fairly sure, Gordon's character had a bit of an Irish accent

black hawk down was one of the best movies ive seen and i liked it....i play airsoft and i sometimes watch war movies to get into the game thats gonna be the next game.....but i just cant think of what its like being down there walking on the streets and have the possibility to be shot by some woman or child that looks inocent...........OOORAAA troops! keep up the good deeds.....

bhd quotes

hey sup guys, i believe the letter to his wife at the end was written by Griz Martin, it sounds like his voice, plus he talks about his daughter earlier (when hes drawing the picture) and heres a couple good quotes you might like:

"now hes saying its actually a couple blocks down but if hes seen outside it he'll be shot."

"I'll ****in' shoot him myslef a couple blocks down, tell him i want his skinny ass in front of the damn building, he's not getting payed til he does just that."- Garrison to Col. Harrell.

"You understand the chain of command son?"
"Roger that sir."
"Good, cause if i ever see you undermine it again you'll be cleaning the latrines with your tongue til you cant taste the difference between shit and french fries. Are we clear?"
"Hoo-Ahh sir."-Pilla and Steele.

"Gordy's gone man, I'll be outside, good luck.-Shugart to Durant.

sgt. Eversmann

you guys seem to forget that Eversmann was given far more credit in the movie than he actually deserves, nothing against the guy he still rocks for bein a soldier. in the real battle his chalk had to return to base rather quickly because they had taken too many casualties. i dont remember if he even went back in after that, im going on the book which i read a year ago so correct me if im wrong.

call me a stiffler guyontheright but most of the quotes on that website are close but incorrect, i guess ive just seen the movie too many times. :rambo:

Re: sgt. Eversmann

rpgincoming said:
you guys seem to forget that Eversmann was given far more credit in the movie than he actually deserves, nothing against the guy he still rocks for bein a soldier. in the real battle his chalk had to return to base rather quickly because they had taken too many casualties. i dont remember if he even went back in after that, im going on the book which i read a year ago so correct me if im wrong.

Who are you to comment on the "credit" MSG Eversmann deserves? Reading a book and watching a movie does not equate to being there, nor does it give you actual knowledge of what occured. It is best you comment on what you know, and not what you think you know. Despite "Black Hawk Down" being entertainment, it is still a very sore and open wound for many that experienced it. Save the armchair general routine for when you've walked in the same shoes as those there.

hey sup guys, i believe the letter to his wife at the end was written by Griz Martin, it sounds like his voice,

The letter read at the end of the movie was written by MSG Gary Gordon to his wife (a very strong and admirable woman) Carmen.

RPG, did you know Tim? If not, how do you know what he sounded like to be able to recognise his voice?

to start off, i commend all of the rangers in that mission, i just didn't like that Eversmann was built up to be a huge hero in the movie, I am sure he does not want to be credidted for something he did not do, plus i have been in active duty, I have never been in combat but the risk was always there. I had to enter houses in Bosnia to inspect for illegal weapons, where i could have easily been killed. plus when i said it sounded like Martins voice i meant the actor who portrayed Martin, and i dont think Shugart had kids. once again, i don not know everything as i was not there, nor have i interviewed the soldiers myself, I am merely trying to attempt an intelligent discussion.

rpgincoming said:
p.s did you guys like the quotes i wrote?

Yep, nice ones.
Welcome to the forum by the way, but I wouldn't recomend you to upset RnderSafe any more, so please provide sources where appropriate, you don't want to see him when he's REAL angry.. ;)

rpgincoming said:
to start off, i commend all of the rangers in that mission, i just didn't like that Eversmann was built up to be a huge hero in the movie, I am sure he does not want to be credidted for something he did not do, plus i have been in active duty, I have never been in combat but the risk was always there. I had to enter houses in Bosnia to inspect for illegal weapons, where i could have easily been killed. plus when i said it sounded like Martins voice i meant the actor who portrayed Martin, and i dont think Shugart had kids. once again, i don not know everything as i was not there, nor have i interviewed the soldiers myself, I am merely trying to attempt an intelligent discussion.

MSG Eversmann deserves every bit of "credit" he has recieved by his peers and those that know what actually did happen. And you are correct, he is not an attention seeker, but he is also a MSG and deserves all of the respect befitting one, regardless of his involvement in the Mog. As I stated, do not use the movie, nor the book to make any judgements or conclusions on the events that occured. While both are nice thoughts, they are hardly completely accurate of the events nor the personal feelings between members.

While your service is appreciated, "the risk" being "always there" is not the same as enduring the risk.

I'm not trying to stifle any discussion on the mission but word your posts carefully. As I stated, this is still a very open and sore issue and despite it's recent fame, needs to be given the utmost respect as any war/conflict and those that served in them deserve.

I also suggest you report to the Welcoming forum to give us a brief introduction with a short bio on your military career.

I love that movie. Even got a couple of the quotes as ma sig on another board.

"Nobody asks to be a hero, it just sometimes turns out that way"

best quote of em all I think.

indeed. BHD's my favorite war movie ever 8 and my mother's too, btw ). think i watched it more times than the director himself has. Maybe though FullMetal Jacket's just as good.

Back