Birthplace of the US Navy?

Sometimes I wonder if the US is too security conscious. Why is the revelation of the birthplace of the navy a state security issue?

Mice and men .......

I have been accused of inventing the Navy in my backyard, when I launched my first rowboat (cause they sometimes refer to me as the Ancient Mariner) [when I am not in hearing range].

It is a base canard (lie) ...
  • it was on the bank of the lake where I put my rowboat (with its outboard motor), into the water, where my navy was launched..
I ended up creating a green water Navy .. but .. only in my own mind.

I did end up patrolling the lake for underwater vessels (they were called fish).

BTW - When I retired from the US Navy, I considered walking inland with an oar on my shoulder, and settling in the first city/hamlet where someone asked me what the object on my shoulder was.

Ah well, mice and men guys ... mice and men.

I'm gonna say Boston around 1780. Most of it was sunk by the British Navy or scuttled in the Penobscot bay and in the Penobscot river at the end of the attack on Castine, Maine.

Most likely an under-researched situation. What was the earliest date that a ship was bought/comandeereed/captured for use against the British by a Commitee of Safety, new government of a Colony, or simular group. Potential tourism dollars at stake for who ever can document being the creation point of what would eventually be the Continental Navy/US Navy.

The first naval encounter was June 11 and 12 1775 in Machias Maine. One of my ancestors was in on the capture of the British ship HMS Margaretta, It was delivered to Boston to the rebels. I believe Paul Revere was one of the rebels to receive it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Machias you can search for info about my ancestor: Charles (The Patriot) Hutchins my great great great great grandfather. That's a lot of greats!

Trivia: the first US Submarine (the Turtle) was commanded by an Army Sgt, Ezra Lee.
US Navy commissioned the sub USS Alligator in 1862. Like the USS Monitor, she sank while under tow off Cape Hatteras in 1863. The H L Hunley was operated by the CS Army, the CS Navy viewed it as a dishonorable way of fighting and refused to have anything to do with it.

Back