Birth of a new bird: The Airbus A380

--
Boots

January 19th, 2005  
Pierrot

Topic: Birth of a new bird: The Airbus A380

The new Airbus A 380 was officially shown yesterday.

cf -> http://www.techno-science.net/index....=news&news=754

Do you believe that this project's really viable ?
January 19th, 2005  
A Can of Man

I can't believe it's out already.... seems like yesterday when the sketches of this thing were just a dream.
January 20th, 2005  
SwordFish_13

Hi,

Woooooooooohuuuuuuuuu that's a Big Bird

Quote:
Just recently Airbus has launched what will be the largest airliner ever built. This double-decker aircraft will seat 555 passengers in a typical three-class cabin layout and over 800 in a single class configuration. Scheduled for service in 2006, the A380 will fly over distances of 8,000 miles (14,800 km) and will be powered by four Trent 900 engines from Rolls-Royce or GP7200 engines from The Engine Alliance (General Electric and Pratt & Whitney). Airbus promises a more efficient airplane than its rival, the Boeing 747. Airbus claims the A380 will use 20% less fuel and will fly quieter, cheaper, and be more environmentally friendly than the 747.

Source
AirBus Considers that the Future Belongs to Big Long range Aircraftes ..............on the other hand it's Direct Rival Boeing Seems to think medium size long-range aircraft will be of better interest to the airlines..............lets see who wins the mind games .

Peace
-=SF_13=-
--
Boots
January 21st, 2005  
A Can of Man

I think this jet will sell to the biggest airline companies because those companies want the prestige of fielding the largest airliner ever built.
January 21st, 2005  
Strongbow

Three cheers for "old" Europe!!!!!!
January 21st, 2005  
A Can of Man

Strongbow... from your nickname I would assume your English?
January 22nd, 2005  
CDTGaticaW201

It looks pretty awesome.....I just wonder how economical and affordable it'll be for most passengers, and if all the amenities it's cut out for will be reserved for only first class passengers.
January 22nd, 2005  
A Can of Man

I just noticed.... it only seats 30 more people than the 747.... will airline companies REALLY dish out that much extra money just to seat 30 more people? But then again I said the top would still buy just as a prestige thing. But that will be poor business for Airbus....
January 22nd, 2005  
CDTGaticaW201

So far it says 150 units have been requested...UPS and Fedex have requested cargo versions. But I too, just realized the increase in capacity is only 30....I would have expected more. Sucks for the airport's that are going to have to reconfigure terminals just to get them in/out
January 22nd, 2005  
rotc boy

but you have to look at the difference in mileage and maximum weight capacity...