Bird Man

acjarhead

At one point in Desert Storm We was attached to 7th Marines. We had possible contact in our Zone and was put on a search and destroy Mission. Heavy guns moved behind us after about an hour of searching because they seen something. Sgt Derr was our Air contact man. When we pulled up on a berm I saw Something. Not sure what. I told Capt. Gram Contact. We had an open mic, everyone on the net could here. It went up the chane of command. Sgt. Derr called in Fast movers butt they could not make it out . I was calling in Quadrant elevation and my Azmeth. To try and get others on my line of sight. About seven minutes later i seen it move again. I announced Confirmed. The entire net is now aware my sighting. I am very nervise now. I am realy about to Kill someone.. I was shaking but ready to do my Job. The other Tankes in my Pltoon was trying to see the Target . Moveing up and down the Berm trying not to make them selves a Target.
At this time I am an E5. Gunner on my Plt. commander Tank." Capt Gram". An M60 Tank Called (THE GRENCH). I have been on this Tank for a long time. I know all there is to know about it..
There are three switches ,Turret power,( already on), Main Gun and Machine gun. I assumed I was looking at troops so I was gonna use the machine gun. I looked threw the 32 Primary sight and aimed about 2 feet below the top of the Berm so I could walk the gun up on target. 3200 meters out. As I waited for the word fire i fliped on the Machine gun Switch with out even taking my eye off the sight. I was ready. Fingers on the trigger. I heard , no friendlies down range Fire when ready. Capt Gram announced Fire.I only had to wait a few minutes until I seen it Move. I pulled the Trigger and "Boom". The Main Gun went off. Scared me. I was expecting pop, pop, pop. My eye was watering from the impac of the sight so I tryed to change eyes and look threw the 105Delta to see what i did. The smoke was still not cleared out but continued to look. Something was Floating in the air. What was it. After what seemed like five minutes a voice came over the net. It was my Co. Commander Capt. Hussey. Good shoot Sgt. Caudill but leave the ****ing Birds Alone. I felt realy dumb. I was so nervice. I hit the wrong switch. We never seen anything else. Everyone got a good laugh at my expence. I did hit it. There was a niece vee in the top of the berm. The next day we were back on defence and some General came by and said he would like to meet Birdman. That was not cool. We all got a good laugh and it in a way relaxed a little. I am glad something good came out of it.

:tank:

That was a nice story, acjarhead...

Hell, all of us when through something like that one time or other. We had one guy, a fellow nurse, in our ward who thought playing with a defib machine was fun until he stupidly tried to do it on himself. The marks took about a week to dissappear. We call him the Shocking Man after that...

Welcome to the forum, friend... and enjoy the company of some of the people here... you will not be dissappointed.

Back