Bipedal Mechanized Infantry

Big_T87

So I searched to find if there was a thread and saw none on this. If there is, can someone point me in the right direction?

Anyways, I was curious what people think about the possibility of bipedal (2 legs) mechanized infantry, basically Mech Warrior style, Avatar or armored core (not super fast, but the walking, guns, etc...)?

I know currently bipedal motion for robots is difficult and slow, but do you think we'll ever get to the point of having that capability? I know currently we have the idea of power armor which would be cool to have once the power packs get developed further, but are there advancements for larger and heavier armored vehicles?

What do you think will be the capabilities if this does get deveopled?

It begs the question,... Why would we want such a thing.

I think that we have much better and more cost effective systems already in place.

I found this, just to give an idea.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5349770802105160028#

And I agree in many ways, why would we want these? At the same time, you have to wonder what the capability will be in another 20 years or so and what the combat will become ground-wise.

Tanks are currently huge pieces of equipment which I'm sure they have already considered downsizing, possibly to a one man vehicle. Or, as we're seeing with current equipment, going to UAVs or small tracked vehicles with guns.

There is always a possibility that a tank can't get into certain areas in warfare and a walking machine may be necessary. (say heavily forested or bogs and swamps)

I'm just more of curious what the possibilities are.

It is a fascinating concept, though I cant see any real use for it. We already have very sophisticated walking machines, they are called Infantry. They are reliable, cost effective and require very little logistical support.

But that's just my opinion.

It is a fascinating concept, though I cant see any real use for it. We already have very sophisticated walking machines, they are called Infantry. They are reliable, cost effective and require very little logistical support.

But that's just my opinion.

Food, water, bullets and low pay is all that is required to keep the walking machine going. Robots are expensive.

Actually, landing troops in Normandy during D-day had bicycles to help them land (seaborne). During WWI and WWII, there were a great deal of troops who had bicycles for transportation. In WWI, army chaplains were originally given horses. As the war progressed, horses became too valuable and they were given bicycles instead

Actually, landing troops in Normandy during D-day had bicycles to help them land (seaborne). During WWI and WWII, there were a great deal of troops who had bicycles for transportation. In WWI, army chaplains were originally given horses. As the war progressed, horses became too valuable and they were given bicycles instead

Most armies was issued bicycles at some point, and they were in active use during WWII.
I believe the Danish army was the most extreme, as every Danish soldier was issued a bicycle as a part of his personal equipment.

Most armies was issued bicycles at some point, and they were in active use during WWII.
I believe the Danish army was the most extreme, as every Danish soldier was issued a bicycle as a part of his personal equipment.

It would have made the guy who sold bicycles to the army wery happy!
There was one company in each regiment that were equipped with bicycles.

It would have made the guy who sold bicycles to the army wery happy!
There was one company in each regiment that were equipped with bicycles.

Are you serious, I was under the impression that Denmark had about 1,2 bicycles pr. citizen in average, and that each regiment were equipped with bicycles save for the one company that was issued Nimbus. :-D

Ah well, I stand corrected then.

I didn't get it quite right. Had to ask my Sergeant-Major.

According to the Danish 1937 Army Act there were only one cyclist regiment = No. 6 Regiment which consisted of a regimental staff and 2 cyclist battalions, each consisting of 1 Battalion Staff, 3 cyclist companies and 1 motorcyclist company.

The Gardehusar regiment and Jutland Dragoon regiment had one cyclist squadron each. All Infantry regiments had one cyclist platoon each.

I didn't get it quite right. Had to ask my Sergeant-Major.

According to the Danish 1937 Army Act there were only one cyclist regiment = No. 6 Regiment which consisted of a regimental staff and 2 cyclist battalions, each consisting of 1 Battalion Staff, 3 cyclist companies and 1 motorcyclist company.

The Gardehusar regiment and Jutland Dragoon regiment had one cyclist squadron each. All Infantry regiments had one cyclist platoon each.

Ah, there's nothing like an update on historic facts! :bravo:

Given the fact that Danish geography doesn't include too many mountains, biclycles would provide a rather fast and cost-efficient transport of troops. :)

The Japanese used bicycles effectively in their invasion of Malaya and its speed surprised the British forces there.
So it has been used in battle with success.

The Japanese used bicycles effectively in their invasion of Malaya and its speed surprised the British forces there.
So it has been used in battle with success.

Not only the Japanese, the Finns did it, and elements of the 8 th. SS cavalery division traded in their horses for bicycles during the Operation Barbarossa.
Almost every pre-war european army had elements equipped with bicycles, and when the terrain allowed an easy ride, they made an impressive progress.
And they didn't need to leave 30% of the troops behind to watch over the horses like the cavalery had to.

Wasn't it the French paratroopers who used air-dropped Vespa scooters fitted with 75 mm recoilless rifles?

eventually the inevitability will set in that all war will be done from a house somewhere with a predator drone 20000 miles away. soldiers will be deemed obsolete, and the tech you speak of will be the new soldier, i wonder what a government would do if war meant no casualties..

Back