Bill Mauldin's Willie and Joe, WWII cartoons

--
Boots

August 31st, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

Topic: Bill Mauldin's Willie and Joe, WWII cartoons

I looked around on the forum and I couldn't find anything on Bill Mauldin's Willie and Joe. Mauldin was in the Army durring WWII and started to draw cartoons about US soldiers in the field. In stead of drawing the soldiers clean cut, he drew them as they were, filthy and in need of a shave. Mauldin made a few people in high places mad, but his popularity with the common soldier kept his cartoons alive. Here are a few of my favorites. More can be found at http://ww2.pstripes.osd.mil/02/nov02/mauldin/

"Able Fox Five to Able Fox. I got a target but ya gotta be patient."

"Nonsense. S-2 reported that machine gun silenced hours ago. Stop wiggling your fingers at me."

Fresh, spirited American troops, flushed with victory, are bringing in thousands of hungry, ragged, battle-weary prisoners.

"Now that you mention it, it does sound like th' patter of rain on a tin roof."
December 16th, 2004  
rotc boy

lol, funny stuff!
December 16th, 2004  
implicature

i am def going to get more of those... almost as good as calvin and hobbes ALMOST
--
Boots
December 17th, 2004  
Darcia

That was some good stuff.
December 17th, 2004  
rotc boy

i had never heard of this guy before
my personal favorite:

"... forever, Amen. Hit the dirt."
January 10th, 2005  
Duty Honor Country

I showed that one to my Battalion Chaplain and he got a kick out of it.
January 10th, 2005  
Charge 7

I can't seem to be able to get the image in like you guys but the one I always liked is number 35. An old Cavalry 1st Sgt turns his back, hides his face and shoots his broken down jeep like he would've done a wounded horse years ago.

Here you go - DTop
January 10th, 2005  
AmericanSweetheart

Topic: lol

These are great!
January 12th, 2005  
Ed

These are Great!
April 11th, 2005  
sinkhole

Can someone explain the "wiggling fingers" one?