Bill Maher's warning to Democrats

Personally, I don't know whether Obama is going to win against whoever the GOP puts on the ballot or not.

What I DO know, is the fact that so far, the Republicans haven't come up with a candidate that I would vote for. The candidate's stance on so many many issues concerns me. IF the GOP candidate was to win, I believe we will be in even more danger of being swept under the rug (as middle and poor class citizens). Historically, GOP efforts to make the rich and super-rich even richer at the expense of the poor and middle class, has driven America ever closer to having to declare bankruptcy. If it were you or I that were carrying out the same kind of economic policies in our own lives, we would already have been out on the streets, living from one garbage can to another.

Before someone tries to get another war started as to who we blame for this, let me state for the record that I place the blame for the state of America's economy on both parties.

The fact remains that the Republicans are at least 90% responsible for the monster deficits. After all, they DO control the House and all of the committees where economic policy is generated (where taxpayer's dollars are spent).

I don't think Democrats think Obama is guaranteed to win, but its where I would bet my money, especially if someone so extreme like Santorum where the nominee.

Obama has 5-8 pt lead over Romney and Santorum. That's over the margin of error. Couple in the fact that in a close race people always tend to favor the incombnant in any election, that's simply basic politics

So its not a shoo-in, but its a promising sign.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_election_romney_vs_obama-1171.html

The problem for the GOP is that Obama now has some tanigable results. Unemployment had dropped by almost a full point, the economy is obviously in a recovery, US auto is now thriving, and there are alot of dead terrorists in Obama's wake. Obama approval is back above 50%. For historical record, Bush was reelected with 43% approval and a much narrow gap between himself and Kerry. So Obama is doing better than Bush was at this same time in 2004.

What does the GOP have to show for itself? Lets be brutally honest, there are good candidates out there, but unfortunately they aren't running. Whatever your politics might be, I haven't yet met the person on either side of the political spectrum that honestly thinks the GOP is fielding top tier candidates. Conservatives don't like Romney, and Santorum is far too extreme to win a general election, even by GOP standards.

So Ill agree its not a foregone conclusion, (I haven't meant anyone who really thought it was). But there are more reasons to think Obama will win reelection than he will lose it. Ill agree with Mahar that Democrats shouldnt get complacent.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't know whether Obama is going to win against whoever the GOP puts on the ballot or not.

What I DO know, is the fact that so far, the Republicans haven't come up with a candidate that I would vote for. The candidate's stance on so many many issues concerns me. IF the GOP candidate was to win, I believe we will be in even more danger of being swept under the rug (as middle and poor class citizens). Historically, GOP efforts to make the rich and super-rich even richer at the expense of the poor and middle class, has driven America ever closer to having to declare bankruptcy. If it were you or I that were carrying out the same kind of economic policies in our own lives, we would already have been out on the streets, living from one garbage can to another.

Before someone tries to get another war started as to who we blame for this, let me state for the record that I place the blame for the state of America's economy on both parties.

The fact remains that the Republicans are at least 90% responsible for the monster deficits. After all, they DO control the House and all of the committees where economic policy is generated (where taxpayer's dollars are spent).
The Dems had total controll of 2 years & doubled the debt, plus they controlled the Congress from '07 through '10 when the spending exploded. The debt is the fault of the Welfare State created by Liberals. "The Do nothing Congress" Obama is talking about is actually the Dem controlled Senate, Ried is stopping all sorts of Bills passed by the House w/o even a vote

The Dems had total controll of 2 years & doubled the debt, plus they controlled the Congress from '07 through '10 when the spending exploded. The debt is the fault of the Welfare State created by Liberals. "The Do nothing Congress" Obama is talking about is actually the Dem controlled Senate, Ried is stopping all sorts of Bills passed by the House w/o even a vote

George, mathematically speaking it is simply impossible to go from a debt that was accrued in 8 years of Republican House Control and double that amount in two years. Nobody can spend money that quickly, not even my wife (though I am sure she'd be willing to try).

The Dems increased the debt from the republicans that part is true, and that increase was for the economic stimulus package and other economic aids, which prevented the economy from going from a recession to a great depression. In 2009 we were on the brink of economic oblivion, You really cant knock something that actually worked. It was money that HAD to be spent, there was very little choice in the matter, doing nothing like the GOP wanted to do would have been catastrophic.

The second point you are missing is much of that debt was carryover from the Republican congress, budget plans whether they are cutting or spending go through several years. Those plans do not change simply because the party in power does, they carry over to the next year then the following one. Therefore those 2 years you mention, alot of it was carry over from when the GOP was in charge.

The point Chief Bones assertion that the biggest government spenders are in fact the Republicans is 100% correct.

As a worker in the auto industry the Obama handled the auto bailouts was decisive and in my opinion the correct way to do things. The aftermath of letting Gm fail like Romney would have could have put us in great depression mode for sure.

Back