Biggest Blunders in Military History - Page 7

--

March 12th, 2005  
The Other Guy

aqnother thing that could be considered a blunder would be the allied inability to produce up to date aircraft at the start of WWII.
March 12th, 2005  
Charge 7

What? You mean like the Spitfire and the B-17? I think you better rethink that one.
March 12th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
What? You mean like the Spitfire and the B-17? I think you better rethink that one.
no i think he's refering to the glouster gladiator, the fairy battle & swordfish & the buffaloe

at the start of WWII the hawker hurricane was englands frontline fighter, the spitfire was never as numerous as the hurricane during the battle of britian.
--
March 12th, 2005  
Charge 7

He said "allied inability to produce up to date aircraft at the start of WWII"

I was making the case that that's far from the truth. The allies were quite able to and did make uptodate aircraft at the start of WWII. The Hurricane, while not as good as the Spitfire all around, out performed it in some aspects and it too qualifies as "uptodate".
March 12th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
He said "allied inability to produce up to date aircraft at the start of WWII"

I was making the case that that's far from the truth. The allies were quite able to and did make uptodate aircraft at the start of WWII. The Hurricane, while not as good as the Spitfire all around, out performed it in some aspects and it too qualifies as "uptodate".
i think with the B-17 esp they hadn't really nailed down it's usefulness? wasn't it used in a an anti shipping/submarine role...rather than a heavy bomber?

of on a wee tangent here but i loved the sunderland "flying porcupine" flying boats the brits ( and commonwealth ) used for sub hunters
March 12th, 2005  
Charge 7

Uh, no it was a heavy bomber alright. Check the history of the 8th Air Force. From 1942 onwards they were bombing Germany in daylight with B-17s while the Brits bombed at night.
March 13th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Uh, no it was a heavy bomber alright. Check the history of the 8th Air Force. From 1942 onwards they were bombing Germany in daylight with B-17s while the Brits bombed at night.
i'm talking before the entry of the US into WWII...pre 1942. and i don't care how many guns you hang off an aircraft, it takes big big balls to fly daylight raids across europe.

my great great uncle flew in wellington bomber at night...at least there was the illusion of using night as concellment
March 13th, 2005  
Charge 7

Fine talk all you want about WWII prior to America. The statement was about early WWII not about prior to America's entry.

Daylight bombing hit targets effectively. Night bombing succeeded in keeping the Germans stretched out non-stop in fighting fires and damage control, but they weren't precise.
March 13th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Fine talk all you want about WWII prior to America. The statement was about early WWII not about prior to America's entry.

Daylight bombing hit targets effectively. Night bombing succeeded in keeping the Germans stretched out non-stop in fighting fires and damage control, but they weren't precise.
ummm charge, i was PRAISING the US daylight raids! lol.

but to your first point, yes there was a WWII prior to the US getting involved, and at that time i believe that the B-17 was used primarily in an anti shipping role.

the RAF even evaluated daytime raids (with B-17) and decided it was too costly on men and machines.

Nothing was more precise than the "dambuster" raids completed by lancaster bombers at night,
March 13th, 2005  
Charge 7

Yes, of course there was a WWII prior to America's joining it. What's your point? It was still early in the war when we did join it. I think you say these things just to argue.

You're comparing one small unit on a one-time raid to an entire air force's effects over years?