Big P-51 Show

You lucky b*stard!:)

In my mind, the P51 series aircraft were the most beautiful looking piston engined aircraft ever made. Top that off with their extraordinary capabilities and you have a truly classic aircraft.

In my mind, the P51 series aircraft were the most beautiful looking piston engined aircraft ever made. Top that off with their extraordinary capabilities and you have a truly classic aircraft.

SACRILEGE!

the spitfire mk V, the the most powerfully SEXY aircraft EVER...bar none

Spitfire_at_temora_nswedit.jpg

one for the Aussie....
SpitIntl_Illust3.JPG

and one for the Yanks

in saying that, the P-51 is definitely the spitty's alluring country cousin

Last edited:
To each of their own opinion....

P-51D Mustang was the best fighter of the World War 2, IMO, after Spitfire, Hurricane, and Bf-109.

Any update, Spam King?

The Mustangs range allowed a wider range of missions, but the Spitfire Mk XIV have a far superior rate of climb.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/spitfire-mk-xiv-vs-p-51d-mustang-881.html

Here is a comparison, although this seems to be with an earlier version of MUSTANG, the III or P-51B or P-51C. The problem with comparisons is that these aircraft were being improved at an astonishing rate. I think the Spitfire was the only fighter aircraft to remain competitive throughout WW2 except for a brief period in 1942 against the FW190

TACTICAL COMPARISON WITH MUSTANG III

Radius of Action
31. Without a long range tank, the Spitfire XIV has no endurance. With a 90 gallon long-range tank it has about half the range of the Mustang III fitted with 2 x 62 1/2 gallon long range tanks.

Maximum Speed
32. The maximum speed are practically identical.
Maximum Climb
33. The Spitfire XIV is very much better.
Dive
34. As for the Spitfire IX. The Mustang pulls away, but less markedly.
Turning Circle
35. The Spitfire XIV is better.
Rate of Roll
36. The advantage tends to be with the Spitfire XIV. Conclusion
37. With the exception of endurance no conclusions can be drawn, as these two aircraft should never be enemies. The choice is a matter of taste.
http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit14afdu.html

However, I vaguely remember about a potential post WW2 scenario where these might have come into conflict and based on the above it is not surprising that the best strategy for the Spitfire was to approach the Mustang from below.

Last edited:
Just think if it was not for Britain this aircraft would have never been built. It was Britain that laid down the specifications for it and ordered it from the drawing board unseen. They also put the Merlin engine into it to give it that extra range and speed. Lets face it at first the Americans did not want this plane as they only want aircraft with a radial engine in it like all their other aircraft. When Pearl Harbour happened they took over all the P51 that were waiting to be shipped to Britain and that we had already paid for. When Britain had upgraded the P 51 then the Americans could see its true potential and took over the project,

Back