'Big brother' cameras will soon be 'coordinated' on all UK roads

--

May 25th, 2009  
perseus

Topic: 'Big brother' cameras will soon be 'coordinated' on all UK roads

It sees that within a few months we could be tracked wherever we drive in the UK. Now this seems a good idea on first sight since I don't wish to subsidise those who haven't paid their taxes or don't possess a vehicle worthiness certificate which renders them unisured. However, it seems the police used the anti terrorism laws to stop a pensioner whilst travelling from an anti-war meeting, and was forced to answer questions under the act. Where does this end, does your country use this system, and can they be trusted to use it responsibly?

Quote:
A national network of cameras and computers automatically logging car number plates will be in place within months, the BBC has learned.
Thousands of Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras are already operating on Britain's roads. Police forces across England, Wales and Scotland will soon be able to share the information on one central computer. Officers say it is a useful tool in fighting crime, but critics say the network is secretive and unregulated.

Kent's Chief Constable, Michael Fuller, commented: "We've seen an increase of some 40% of arrests since we've been using this technology. "I'm very confident that we're using it properly and responsibly, and that innocent people have nothing to fear from the way we use it."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ou/8064333.stm
May 25th, 2009  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus
However, it seems the police used the anti terrorism laws to stop a pensioner whilst travelling from an anti-war meeting, and was forced to answer questions under the act. Where does this end, does your country use this system, and can they be trusted to use it responsibly?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ou/8064333.stm
Ever seen pigs fly?

I also remember a self employed plumber in UK driving his van was fined for smoking.

Pubs are losing vast amounts of money because of the "No Smoking," many have been forced to close down. However, one pub has got around the no smoking ban by using a loop hole in the act. They sectioned off a room, drinkers who want to smoke complete a form that they are taking part in research. Now the tree and bunny huggers are looking for a way to close that loop hole.

Its getting all too silly in UK

They have a similar ban here. I had a "government official" come into my shop a few years ago telling me I was not allowed to smoke in the shop or in my office out back. I listened to him for a while then held my hand up to shut him up and then replied. "I tell you what mate, when you pay my rent on the shop, pay all the staff wages and run the business, THEN and ONLY then can you tell me I cannot smoke."

He left and I havent heard anymore.
May 25th, 2009  
A Can of Man

Freedom anyone?
--
May 25th, 2009  
rattler

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus
Where does this end, -snip- and can they be trusted to use it responsibly?
As you asked:

- It will end in dictatorship
- No.

Also, they never will let go of this law, in case they relax a terrorist is easily found and convicted to make it stick. Power to the politicians that run the government!

I remember that on 9/11, just two or three hours or so into it (only one building had collapsed), with friends in Germany glued to the telly and in shock, the unison voiced thinking was (apart from commenting what we saw and could not believe to be seeing): "Kiss goodbye to your citizens rights and freedom after today".

So far, we have not been proved wrong in our assessment.

Rattler
May 25th, 2009  
sky2979

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Freedom anyone?

Exactly.......
May 25th, 2009  
major liability

The UK: a surveillance society that puts China and Russia to shame.
May 25th, 2009  
Rob Henderson

I saw a great picture of some graffiti over in England... Had a little kid painting on the side of a post office that said "One nation under CCTV"... It was gone by that night.
May 25th, 2009  
5.56X45mm

May 25th, 2009  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by major liability
The UK: a surveillance society that puts China and Russia to shame.
Yeah, It's caught a number of murderers and other miscreants, it's gotta be a bad thing.

What most people don't realise is that the images from 99% of these cameras is not ever seen, It's only when there is a reason to look at a certain place and time that the images are looked at.

You see a controller in front of a bank of 30 -50 screens, how much of what is going on in front of him do you actually thing he absorbs? It's only when he sees something of interest that he can re direct or zoom the camera concerned. He is also there to report such things a accidents or loss of picture.

I think paranoia is a far greater worry than CCTV,... unless of course you are doing something you shouldn't be.
May 25th, 2009  
Rob Henderson

It's a great picture.