'Big brother' cameras will soon be 'coordinated' on all UK roads

'one nation under ccty' was by Banksy. For those who don't know him he is a protest art hero. go check him out on google. lots o' good stuff

Now as some one living in Britain all this CCTV does not bother me one little bit, the ones that complain the loudest and longest are usually those who have some thing hide. Any one that steals a car will find that the numbers plates are read by the Cameras and the Police alerted by the computer of were the car is and where it is going. Those that drive with out a licence or insurance will also be high lighted and will have their collars felt. In Central London you can be tracked all over the place by your ticket. Even in the 1980's I could find out just when a member of the my staff had boarded a train for work and when he got off the train and many other things.
The number of crooks, vandals, muggers and even murderers that have been caught by the Police just looking back at these tapes has been enormous If these camera's are removed what benefit would the law abiding public get from this and what benefit would the criminals get, one wonders who is leading this campaign

Aaaargh! :x. I've just been the victim of this big brother stuff myself, got a letter today saying 'Photographic evidence shows the vehicle entering the car park at 09:45:09 and departing at 12:11:47.' Obviously, I didn't read the time limit on the supermarket car park! Oh well at least I'm guilty so I'll pay up!

Here how it works, yes it is an ANPR system, hang on what did I say earlier ;)
http://www.parkingeye.co.uk/

Interestingly there is even a gripe forum for this supermarket car park
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=25030

Last edited:
We have had " traffic cameras" here in the Tidewater area, for a lot of years now, they're so good they can read a Vin number, but can't tell if you run a red light, so NOW we have red light cameras popping up everywhere, and people bitching about them, cause now they can't run a red light without getting a $50 fine.

Personally I think they should obey the traffic laws and stfu (here anyway)

Good post. I agree... The only reason people whine about more surveillance (in this case) is because they can't break the law without getting caught as easily anymore.

"One of the foremost advocates of traffic safety has withdrawn support for the District's traffic camera enforcement program after city officials conceded revenue was a primary motivation.

The AAA, which supports the use of traffic cameras to enhance road safety, has rebuffed the city's plan to expand the program to earn more revenue.".....

"It also was discovered that the city's vendor, Lockheed Martin IMS, placed some of the cameras too close to the intersection and reduced the yellow-light time."

By reducing the yellow light time you increase the number of people that run red lights there by increasing revenue but not safety.

AAA stands for Automobile Association of America.

http://www.rense.com/general30/with.htm

Big Brother is not always your friend.

But if we increased yellow light time, all it would do was allow speeders more time to think they could "catch the light"... It's really a no-win situation.

But if we increased yellow light time, all it would do was allow speeders more time to think they could "catch the light"... It's really a no-win situation.
They didn't increase it they reduced it. Try reading the article.
Yellow light time should be set to allow time for drivers to react and stop. If it is to short you can not stop in time to avoid running the red light. Decreasing safety by forcing cars to violate the red light.

When an organization like AAA dedicated to driver safety withdraws it's support, that should tell you something.

I realize that. I never said anything to the contrary. I was simply saying that the alternative (increasing it as opposed to decreasing it) would only give speeders the mentality that "I can make it" from further back.

I realize that. I never said anything to the contrary. I was simply saying that the alternative (increasing it as opposed to decreasing it) would only give speeders the mentality that "I can make it" from further back.
What does that have to do with the topic?
It is about the cameras. How Big Brother was manipulating the lights for no other reason than increasing revenue not safety.

Well I would hope the reasoning behind it isn't only monetary, but the reason that if you shorten yellow-light time, then speeders will realize that they WON'T make the light, and will instead choose the SAFER option of stopping instead of gunning it.

Well I would hope the reasoning behind it isn't only monetary, but the reason that if you shorten yellow-light time, then speeders will realize that they WON'T make the light, and will instead choose the SAFER option of stopping instead of gunning it.
What speeders? It is about running red lights not speeding. It is about Red Light cameras. Suggest again you read the article.

*sigh* Chukpike. If a person is traveling the proper speed limit, THEORETICALLY that person would be perfectly able to stop in ample time before a light turned red. Those who travel ABOVE the speed limit (also known as "speeders") would be much more hard-pressed to stop in time, seeing as they are traveling faster, and it is known that the faster you are traveling, the harder it is for you to stop quickly.

But quite honestly, this is happening in the UK, not America, so to bring up America's own red light camera ventures is slightly off topic because there might be large differences between the two.

Yes we have red light cameras here as well, the link has a long list of the range of cameras and sensors used:

The Red Light Camera was originally used to measure red light offences. Nowadays the RLC can also be used in combination with speed measurement, similar to that of a Gatso Meter rear facing speed camera (radar type 24 technology) and can therefore also record the speed of the offending motorist as well. So you could end with a speeding offence as well as a traffic light offence, if you go through a red light camera!

http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/guide.htm

A study on red light cameras here suggesting they make accidents worse

http://www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=231935

There is an extensive analysis of traffic camera systems here, noting the pros and cons

A follow-up four-year independent study commissioned by the DfT [43] concluded "after allowing for the long-term trend, but without allowing for selection effects (such as regression-to-mean) there was a 22% reduction in personal injury collisions (PICs) at sites after cameras were introduced. Overall 42% fewer people were killed or seriously injured. At camera sites, there was also a reduction of over 100 fatalities per annum (32% fewer).

Use of ANPR is not limited to traffic-related law enforcement. Under the UK Home Office's "Project Laser", ANPR cameras log all the vehicles passing particular points in the national road network, allowing authorities to track the movement of vehicles and individuals across the country

Use for non-traffic purposes
Cameras and number-plate recognition equipment can be used for purposes unrelated to enforcement of traffic rules. In principle any agency or person with access to data either from traffic cameras or cameras installed for other purposes can track the movement of vehicles for any purpose. [3]
As an example, 80-year-old pensioner John Catt and his daughter Linda (with no criminal record between them) were stopped by City of London Police while driving in London, UK in 2005, had their vehicle searched under section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000, and were threatened with arrest if they refused to answer questions. After they complained formally, it was discovered they were stopped when their car was picked up by roadside ANPR CCTV cameras; it had been flagged in the Police National Computer database when they were seen near EDO MBM demonstrations in Brighton. Critics point out that the Catts had been suspected of no crime, however the UK's mass surveillance infrastructure allowed them to be targeted due to their association.[58]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_enforcement_camera

Last edited:
Back