Big Big Derby in Manchester

WHOWILL WIN?

• City

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UTD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I hate ManUtd almost as much as I hate Arsenal but ManUtd will most likely win. Van Nistelrooy is in too good shape.

wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Got a bit drunk last night!!

What a game, Im afraid if we were playing a half diecond team they might have scored.

UTD are useless.

Come on the citzens

Match Facts
FA Premiership
Sunday November 07, 2004
FT Man Utd 0-0 Man City
BOOKINGS
22' Keane
34' Jordan
59' Smith
85' Flood
89' Smith
Man Utd
Roy Carroll, Rio Ferdinand, Gabriel Heinze, Gary Neville, Mikael Silvestre, Roy Keane, Liam Miller (Ryan Giggs), Cristiano Ronaldo, Paul Scholes (Wayne Rooney), Louis Saha, Alan Smith

Man City
David James, Sylvain Distin, Richard Dunne, Willo Flood, Danny Mills, Paul Bosvelt, Stephen Jordan, Steve McManaman, Antoine Sibierski, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Nicolas Anelka

Referee: Poll, G

Venue: Old Trafford

Attendance: 67,863

Corners:
Man Utd 16
Man City 1

Goal Attempts:
Man Utd 15
Man City 3

On Target:
Man Utd 10
Man City 1

Kevin Keegan picked out midfielder, Paul Bosvelt for special praise after his role in the scoreless draw at Old Trafford.
It was the midfielder's first start in a derby since his summer switch to the Blues from Feyenoord two seasons ago.

The thirty-four-year old has been a constant in the City engine room playing a vital role in the absence of Claudio Reyna and Joey Barton. His presence in the midfield at Old Trafford was crucial in helping the Blues to a point.

"Paul Bosvelt played a vital role in the derby. We sort of played 4-1-4-1 and had to stop Saha or Smith when they dropped off. That was his job," explained Kevin Keegan.

"Sometimes I was thinking could he move the ball a little quicker and I realised that was totally unfair.

"He ran a million miles chasing people here and there and I suppose when he got a touch of the ball he just wanted to caress the ball a while!

"He is thirty-four-years of age. He was the heart of Feyenoord when he was there and that is a description their fans used of him when he was playing for the Dutch side.

"He wants to play in the Premiership and that desire showed in the derby. For us he did a great job. I am so pleased for him as English football has not come easy to him."

The midfielder was brought to the ground by Alan Smith midway through the second half when the United striker was on a yellow card.

But the Dutchman simply got to his feet and kept on playing when he could have rolled to the ground and stayed there.

"I think all my players got up and got on with the game in this derby. None of the City players stayed down unless they were hurt.

"You don't want to see that. This was a derby match so let's be honest if it was played twenty years ago we would have finished about two a side!

"Now days there is a lot more respect between players. If they stay down you would like to think that they are injured, though that is not always the case.

"This was never a feisty game. Both sides were committed. They were desperate to win and we were desperate not to get beaten.

"So in some respects we had a desperate derby match but it is a great result for Manchester City."

Manchester United and Arsenal will dust down their reserve teams for a low-key renewal of their usually spiteful rivalry when they meet in the League Cup quarter-finals on Wednesday.

Managers Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger thrive on the mind games surrounding what has developed into the biggest fixture in the English game but even those two heavyweights seem prepared to call a pre-Christmas truce.

They will assume the role of proud grand-parents watching from the touchline as the youngsters have their fun, the League Cup's lack of relevance to the top Premier League sides completing a cycle for a competition launched in 1960 and promptly ignored by the leading teams.

The first final competes with victory in the 1996 Auto Windscreens Shield as then-second division Rotherham's finest hour, even though they lost to Aston Villa over two legs.

A place in Europe for the winners raised the League Cup's profile in 1966 and a year later, when the final was switched to a one-off Wembley occasion, the competition was established as something every club took seriously.

In the late 1970s and early 80s Nottingham Forest and Liverpool were the dominant sides in the league and in Europe but both gave their all in the League Cup, winning it six years out of seven between them.

SEVENTH IDENTITY

By then the competition had blazed a trail in title sponsorship -- it is now in its seventh identity -- and the final was switched to a Sunday kickoff for live TV coverage.

Ferguson was happy to take any trophy as United reached the final three times in the early 1990s, winning one, but within a few seasons he set the tone by leaving out his big names.

The expansion of the Champions League, offering qualification for up to four English clubs each year, was a further body blow and by the League Cup's 40th anniversary fewer than half the Premier League sides were giving it their all.

With the final switched to Cardiff's Millennium Stadium, United went all the way two years ago and Ferguson played all his big guns in a full-on 2-0 defeat by Liverpool.

BAD-TEMPERED

But the Scot, along with Wenger, says his intention is to stick with the youngsters this season, despite having the chance to kick the Londoners when they are down.

In the real world of the Premier League, United ended Arsenal's unbeaten run at 49 games last month in the latest bad-tempered edition of what has developed into a rivalry with little obvious mutual respect.

Since then Arsenal have lost their way badly and Wenger would not enjoy another Old Trafford defeat.

Ferguson, however, with his side gradually making ground in the league and safely through in the Champions League, is sticking with his youth policy. "I know my team apart from one player and it won't be affected by Arsenal's," he said at the weekend.

Wenger put out a side with an average age of 19 in the last round and as it was good enough to beat third-placed Everton's full-strength team 3-1. There seems little reason for him to change his approach, especially as Arsenal have injury and suspension problems and face two huge games in the league and in Europe.

United have recognised the second-rate nature of the tie by reducing ticket prices and the move has resulted in a 67,000 sell-out.

Back