Bf-109 in unusual markings

The 1st URL is a nice summary of the ME-262
The 2nd URL was common to practically all German technology, this is how we got to the Moon.

The RAF would would use the RAF markings when evaluating captured Axis aircraft to see what they could learn about them and what weakness they could find when the plane was dog fighting

The RAF would would use the RAF markings when evaluating captured Axis aircraft to see what they could learn about them and what weakness they could find when the plane was dog fighting
Tends to cut down on them getting shot down during testing!

Captain Eric Brown Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm was officer i/c of the enemy aircraft flight, he has test flown a huge number of different types

The first Bf-109 with British serial number TP814 was a Bf-109G-6/U2
It was landed in error by Lt Host Prenzel at Manston on 21st July 1944. It was coded “White 16” of I gruppe – Jagdgeschwader 301. It was flown to Royal Aircraft Establishment Farnborough on 26th July by S/Ldr R.J. Falk, and after eight test-flights there was flown to Wittering on 31 August for use by the Air Fighting Development Unit (AFDU). At the AFDU it was used for comparative tactical trials with the Mustang III and the Spitfire IX and XIV. The aircraft crashed during take-off at Wittering on 23rd November 1944, flown by F/Lt H.L. Thorne, and was damaged beyond repair.

The information comes from the book "War Prizes" by Phil Butler published by Midland Counties Publications (ISBN 0 904 597 86 5) in 1994. An illustrated survey of German, Italian and Japanese aircraft brought to Allied countries during and after WWII.

The first Bf-109 with British serial number TP814 was a Bf-109G-6/U2
It was landed in error by Lt Host Prenzel at Manston on 21st July 1944. It was coded “White 16” of I gruppe – Jagdgeschwader 301. It was flown to Royal Aircraft Establishment Farnborough on 26th July by S/Ldr R.J. Falk, and after eight test-flights there was flown to Wittering on 31 August for use by the Air Fighting Development Unit (AFDU). At the AFDU it was used for comparative tactical trials with the Mustang III and the Spitfire IX and XIV. The aircraft crashed during take-off at Wittering on 23rd November 1944, flown by F/Lt H.L. Thorne, and was damaged beyond repair.

The information comes from the book "War Prizes" by Phil Butler published by Midland Counties Publications (ISBN 0 904 597 86 5) in 1994. An illustrated survey of German, Italian and Japanese aircraft brought to Allied countries during and after WWII.

Are you sure about that, my information has the first being a Bf-109 E3 given the British designation AE479 (White 1) Aircraft of 1./JG 76 flown by Fw. Karl Hier, captured by the French on 22 November 1939; handed over to the RAF 2 May 1940.

It was sent to the US in April 1942; crashed at Wright Field 3 November 42.

Are you sure about that, my information has the first being a Bf-109 E3 given the British designation AE479 (White 1) Aircraft of 1./JG 76 flown by Fw. Karl Hier, captured by the French on 22 November 1939; handed over to the RAF 2 May 1940.

It was sent to the US in April 1942; crashed at Wright Field 3 November 42.
I did not make it quite clear, that I was referring to the first picture in the link from pampa14
You're right about AE479.

I thought it was a FW 190 that landed by mistake at Manston.
Fw 190A-4/U8 coded “Red 9” on 20th May 1943 by Uffz. Heinz Ehrhardt of I/SKG 10 and Fw 190A-5/U8 coded “White 6” from the same unit on 20th June 1943 flown by Uffz. Werner Öhne.

Fw 190A-4/U8 coded “Red 9” on 20th May 1943 by Uffz. Heinz Ehrhardt of I/SKG 10 and Fw 190A-5/U8 coded “White 6” from the same unit on 20th June 1943 flown by Uffz. Werner Öhne.

So are you saying more then one landed at Manston?

I'm not doubting you, but I can understand one landing by mistake at Manston, but two seems rather odd. I would have thought Hurricanes on the Dispersal would have given the pilots a clue it wasn't a Luftwaffe air base.

Last edited:
That's what the book says.

Red 9 is assigned the RAF serial number PM679 and White 6, PN999.

Thanks mate, but its rather odd unless there was heavy cloud cover or inclement weather. I bet the pilots were rather surprised when they were dragged off to the station guard room, no doubt the Station Commander couldn't believe his luck.

Thanks mate, but its rather odd unless there was heavy cloud cover or inclement weather. I bet the pilots were rather surprised when they were dragged off to the station guard room, no doubt the Station Commander couldn't believe his luck.

I can think of at least 4 German aircraft that "accidentally" landed at RAF Manston during the war.

Bf-109 E4 - Damaged by a Spitfire of 66 Squadron, belly–landed at RAF Manston, pilot Wolfgang Teumer (of JG 51) taken prisoner, 27 November 1940

Bf-109 G6 - Lt. Horst Prenzel, Staffelkapitan 1./JG 301, landed at RAF Manston by mistake after a Wilde Sau sortie over the invasion area against night-bombers on 21 July 1944.

Fw-190 A5 - Originally of I./SKG 10, flown by Uffz. Werner Ohne; landed in error at RAF Manston, 20 June 1943

Fw-190 A4 - Originally of 2./SKG 10, flown by Uffz. Heinz Ehrhardt, accidentally landed at RAF Manston, Kent on 20 May 1943.

I can think of at least 4 German aircraft that "accidentally" landed at RAF Manston during the war.

Bf-109 E4 - Damaged by a Spitfire of 66 Squadron, belly–landed at RAF Manston, pilot Wolfgang Teumer (of JG 51) taken prisoner, 27 November 1940

Bf-109 G6 - Lt. Horst Prenzel, Staffelkapitan 1./JG 301, landed at RAF Manston by mistake after a Wilde Sau sortie over the invasion area against night-bombers on 21 July 1944.

Fw-190 A5 - Originally of I./SKG 10, flown by Uffz. Werner Ohne; landed in error at RAF Manston, 20 June 1943

Fw-190 A4 - Originally of 2./SKG 10, flown by Uffz. Heinz Ehrhardt, accidentally landed at RAF Manston, Kent on 20 May 1943.

I can understand an emergency landing by damaged aircraft, I would have thought orders would have gone out to Squadrons warning them of landing perfectly good aircraft at RAF stations.

Very strange.

I can understand an emergency landing by damaged aircraft, I would have thought orders would have gone out to Squadrons warning them of landing perfectly good aircraft at RAF stations.

Very strange.

I imagine any the deliberately landed there were simply trying to get out of the war but outside that we are talking about relatively "primitive" technology in terms of navigation so I imagine disorientation could have caused accidental landings (assuming of course there was not a giant pile of allied aircraft parked there).
Given the location of Manston I imagine that a disorientated pilot returning from the North would have been flying over water until he saw an airbase on the coast which he could have mistaken for the French coast.

I imagine any the deliberately landed there were simply trying to get out of the war but outside that we are talking about relatively "primitive" technology in terms of navigation so I imagine disorientation could have caused accidental landings (assuming of course there was not a giant pile of allied aircraft parked there).

I wonder how many actually landed at Manston on purpose and what happened to the families of the pilots. The Gestapo weren't exactly friendly or forgiving chaps.

Given the location of Manston I imagine that a disorientated pilot returning from the North would have been flying over water until he saw an airbase on the coast which he could have mistaken for the French coast.

I agree,the location of Manston to the English Channel, disorientation could have been a factor, but as I mentioned previously there would have been Hurricanes parked on the dispersal. If I remember correctly Manston was the home of at least two fighter squadrons.

Back