A better way to name "Terrorism"?

I still think it is much simpler than all that.
A terrorist is someone that carries out attacks without public support while a freedom fighter has public support, this is why for example the French Resistance were freedom fighters in France and terrorists in Germany, Hamas and Hezbollah are freedom fighters to the Arabs and terrorists to the Israelis etc. etc.

I still think it is much simpler than all that.
A terrorist is someone that carries out attacks without public support while a freedom fighter has public support, this is why for example the French Resistance were freedom fighters in France and terrorists in Germany, Hamas and Hezbollah are freedom fighters to the Arabs and terrorists to the Israelis etc. etc.

True, but the French were fighting a declared war, Hamas and Hezbollah are fighting because they believe Islam is right and everybody else is wrong. Modern combat and terrorists nowdays are completely different han back in the 40's

We believe what we want to.

True, but the French were fighting a declared war, Hamas and Hezbollah are fighting because they believe Islam is right and everybody else is wrong. Modern combat and terrorists nowdays are completely different han back in the 40's

Can't agree with yours or MontyB's comments. The French had surrendered, their designated gov't had thrown in the towel and sided with the Germans, ceding parts of the country to Nazis, retaining control of parts of S France, hence Vichy. So it all respects the Maquis, were actually terrorists, because they were fighting against their legitmate gov't and its rule of law - because they disagreed with the decisions made, so they declared war on the occupying Germans. Hammas & Hezbollah are also non state organisations, with declared aims and have declared war on the State of Israel, does this make them right - NO, but since Hammas was created by Mossad as a counterweight to the PLO, pigeons coming home to roost does seem appropriate.

I'll stick with my original definition, I don't like it, but until we can all play nicely (not going to happen). So until we can find a way to bring the disaffected into society as a whole, where they feel they are valued & respected - equally, we'll have the debate and the even worse by blows of this debate.

I didn't know that about France, I withdraw my above post about them, Sorry France but I believe a govt should fight to the death or die trying.

Hiya. I'm new to this thread, heck I'm new to the entire forum! With that said....

I think the terrorists falls under the Geneva Convention. War is war, period. When we get too picky on definitions we start falling behind. I think that while those "terrorists" may not abide by the Geneva Convention we must. And that means, if they are not readily identifiable as the enemy, yet take actions that supports or furthers the action of the enemy, kill them.

IMO.

Terrorism isn't war... The US Government defines terrorism as an unlaw act of terror on NON-COMBATANTS where, their object is to terrorize. Now, I may only be one man, but I think that Terrorism is terrorism... and it should be stoped.

The Geneva Convention pertains to enemy military captured in time of war, terrorists are NOT enemy military, therefore the Geneva Convention should apply to them as much as they think it applies to us.

As for any and all terrorists, I stand by my fire ant and honey statement.

So basically what we're saying is that if someone is fighting for their freedom against an oppressive regime, using assymetrical warfare, then they're terrorists?

So if a State is sponsoring them then they are breaking the Geneva accords - USA (Mujhaihadeen, Contras), UK (Loyalist paramilitaries in NI) etc. But that's OK 'cos they're western and everyone needs western values?

Sorry guys I don't buy this, we've all got our hands dirty in the past and those pigeons have come home to roost, but we've not stamped out terrorism, only made it more effective and forces that more often than not turn around to bite their supposed master.

We need to stop using broad brush statements to define criminal acts, because all it does is muddy the water, inflame emotions and confuse the issue.

As with any other fight we need to figure out who we're fighting, what they want and why and who's helping them - then we can attack the source. I will re-iterate that one man's terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

But surely the one constant in this discussion is that a terrorist is defined by the individual, it simply comes down to who's side you are on.

But surely the one constant in this discussion is that a terrorist is defined by the individual, it simply comes down to who's side you are on.

Yep, unfortunately it is a gov't or the media that defines the terrorist nowadays. The gov't if their interests are threatened and the media to hype fear, frenzy and sell copy. I'm thankful for the internet, it allows me to research issues and be to be more immediately ill informed and opionated, than if I'd had to wait for the newspaper.

Yep, unfortunately it is a gov't or the media that defines the terrorist nowadays. The gov't if their interests are threatened and the media to hype fear, frenzy and sell copy. I'm thankful for the internet, it allows me to research issues and be to be more immediately ill informed and opionated, than if I'd had to wait for the newspaper.

I agree, unfortunately, a lot of Americans [Mainly the not-so-smart ones] are positive that Russia is a factor of evil, and that muslims should all die [I dont think that, just to clarify]

Yes, sometimes i feel like the media is a branch of terrorism. How does it help if you tell everyone that they are all under threat from getting blown up by suicide bombers/car bombs and that there is no hope?

I agree, unfortunately, a lot of Americans [Mainly the not-so-smart ones] are positive that Russia is a factor of evil, and that muslims should all die [I dont think that, just to clarify]

Yes, sometimes i feel like the media is a branch of terrorism. How does it help if you tell everyone that they are all under threat from getting blown up by suicide bombers/car bombs and that there is no hope?

It's funny but most of the Americans I speak to are bemused by Russia, they understand that it wants to regain some world clout, but they feel that it hasn't got the money. As for Muslims, they tend to be very firm, mainly because they think of Muslims in terms of Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Iran & 9/11. Pretty sad really.

Russia isn't a factor of evil, never has been eitherm I met russian sailors in Italy once and in Dubai a few times, and all i ever had with them is fun, drinking, dart games and the mutual feeling of friendship. muslims on the other hand have tried to kill me since I first set foot in their god forsaken sand box, so I guess that would make me half not-so-smart huh?

Do you realize that you are generalizing the Americans in the same way you are acusing them of generalizing Russia and Muslims?

Russia isn't a factor of evil, never has been eitherm I met russian sailors in Italy once and in Dubai a few times, and all i ever had with them is fun, drinking, dart games and the mutual feeling of friendship. muslims on the other hand have tried to kill me since I first set foot in their god forsaken sand box, so I guess that would make me half not-so-smart huh?

I wasnt saying Russia is a factor of evil. Thats basically saying that im a member of the factor of evil.

Well, if they try to kill you then thats different. I was talking more about the fact that most Westerners [Including Australia] view every Muslim as a terrorist [Private schools in Australia dont allow muslims to join, even if it isnt a religious type school].

And [Directed at AB_Shorts_Momma] im not picking on Americans. You would be pretty dimwitted to think that every American has nothing against muslims. I was just saying America because they are the super-power of the west.
If you prefer, i could say Australia instead of America? Ive never seen so many racists in all my life [With the exception of Serbian Nationalists]

LOL... no, my point was that you did the same thing by using a specific group or nationality...

you could have easily stated that unfortunately many people are positive that Russia is a factor of evil and that all muslims should die. That is probably a true statement that cannot be argued as easily.

I wasnt saying Russia is a factor of evil. Thats basically saying that im a member of the factor of evil.

Well, if they try to kill you then thats different. I was talking more about the fact that most Westerners [Including Australia] view every Muslim as a terrorist [Private schools in Australia dont allow muslims to join, even if it isnt a religious type school].

And [Directed at AB_Shorts_Momma] im not picking on Americans. You would be pretty dimwitted to think that every American has nothing against muslims. I was just saying America because they are the super-power of the west.
If you prefer, i could say Australia instead of America? Ive never seen so many racists in all my life [With the exception of Serbian Nationalists]

Serbian Mig, I live in America, not the greatest Americans fan, but I do respect them. For me the biggest problem is that many are so insular, but then given that their states are as big as many countries, I can understand that. Also their education system does not really focus on anywhere else in the world - again understandable since the majority of their fights have been on foreign soil (helping their allies). So I do give them credit for that, amongst other things.

I dislike sweeping generalisations, as they lead to stereotyping, which narrows the thought process. I have been to and had experience of at least 33 different countries in my life and it has taught me to respect each and every one of them.

That said I have not been able to understand the reason why many insist on perpetuating age old grievances - beacuse they CAN!!

Coming back to the point of the thread, I live in Detroit, which has a very high Muslim population. Not got any assasinations - yet, although I believe that the mayor is setting himself up well, and the Muslim population seems to exist quite nicely with the christians and the judaists.

To my mind this is proof that different idealogies can get along - but you need to set some rules and make sure that everyone understands what they are & hold them all to the rules.

Namecalling does nothing, talking does a lot, that's my philosophy.

Alright, sorry for using America. I generally say America when i talk about the west.

So just replace it with the word "West"

Im not dissing America. Some of the people there are really cool, its just the government and radical republicans [and some liberals] that i cant stand. America is a super power, you cant be a super power if the country is a stooge, can you?

Ive heard some stories from certain areas in America where muslims are considered a minority and are filthy etc.

Im not saying that all of America is like that, dont get me wrong.

I jsut know as a fact that muslims are so looked down upon in Australia, its ridicoulous. Even back in Serbia they dont hate muslims that much [Well, mainly European-Muslims there, but they are still muslim]. One of my friends at school, he is a Bangladeshi muslim, and he got rejected by 2 private schools and even a public school for simply being muslim.

And im also not saying that ALL Russians/Chinese etc love Muslims. Its just there are less of the "Kill islam" type there [With the exception of Serbia.]

Personally though, i dont like nor dislike muslims. But i respect them more than i would respect some other religions. I beleive to much in Charles Darwin, Karl Marx and Josip Broz Tito to have a religion.

QUOTE]
thats cause most westerners are smart.

Back