Bet a Cigar

tetvet

Banned
I'll bet a Cigar that I'm the only one in this forum that fired expert with the 3.5 Rocket Launcher Bazooka , the original Bazooka I think fired a 2.36 rocket , the target was pulled along by a little trolley device I hit the trolley knocking it off the rail range about 75 meters bent the trolley so it couldn't be used any more that day .:lol:

I'll bet a Cigar that I'm the only one in this forum that fired expert with the 3.5 Rocket Launcher Bazooka , the original Bazooka I think fired a 2.36 rocket , the target was pulled along by a little trolley device I hit the trolley knocking it off the rail range about 75 meters bent the trolley so it couldn't be used any more that day .:lol:

We fired and practiced with the LAW rocket-propelled grenade launcher when I was in. Never saw a bazooka and that was in the late 70's. Sounds like you had a direct it.

The 3.5 needed a two man crew the loader and shooter the weapon itself could be broken down into parts and was lite maybe 8 pounds it could kill a tank pierce 3 inches of armor , I've never fired the LAW but did fire the M-79 Blooper , the blooper in automatic form were mounted in the nose of huey gun ships in Vietnam they called the gun ship hogs because of the short barrel sticking out the nose of the ship .

I fired the 3.5 in Infantry AIT, but they never rated us.

We carried them in VN as I was with the CIDG Program. We also carried Carbines, BARs and A6s. M79's bark was worse than it's bite.
LAWs were junk. They were susceptible to weather. They were known to have bounced off PT76s.
We had the older type Huey guns. They loaded them so heavy I have assisted in pushing them to help them get airborne.

Never fired one but I will take you up on that cigar, I fancy Gurkha Evils, can get quite pricey so pony up.

I fired the 3.5 in Infantry AIT, but they never rated us.

We carried them in VN as I was with the CIDG Program. We also carried Carbines, M79A and A6s. M79's bark was worse than it's bite.
LAWs were junk. They were susceptible to weather. They were known to have bounced off PT76s.
We had the older type Huey guns. They loaded them so heavy I have assisted in pushing them to help them get airborne.

The Law I trained with was not made to take out a tank with a direct hit to it's frontal armor. It was more of a rocket propelled grenade.

All LAWs were designed to take on tanks.
I believe they were rated to penetrate 11 inches of homogenous armor.
I don't think they had a HE projectile.
We used them against bunkers.
The climate just got to them.
Light Anti-tank Weapon.

We still use the LAWs today to take out bunkers or "murder holes". Doesn't have the punchof an AT4 but is certainly easier on the shoulders to carry and doesn't get caught on evert piece of foliage sticking out of the ground.

We still use the LAWs today to take out bunkers or "murder holes". Doesn't have the punchof an AT4 but is certainly easier on the shoulders to carry and doesn't get caught on evert piece of foliage sticking out of the ground.

When in I was instructed by a Vietnam vet. This is basically how he described using them (as you described). To blast a stronghold at fairly short range. The NVA didn't have-use that many tanks from what I was told.

I'll take the M4 over the AK any day. I will say the RPG is a really effective weapon and I wish we had something like it at the squad level in the US arsenal. (I guess the Marine SMAW) is close). LAWS and AT4s are nice, but once you use em....that's it.

I'll take the M4 over the AK any day. I will say the RPG is a really effective weapon and I wish we had something like it at the squad level in the US arsenal. (I guess the Marine SMAW) is close). LAWS and AT4s are nice, but once you use em....that's it.

This baby solves a lot of issues and it has additional items for all occasions. It is rather heavy and carry the ammunition is an issue. I have read the US Army and the US Marines are issued with this darling...do you have any experience with it, Brinktk?

From Sweden with Love.....

A Royal Marine almost sunk an Argentine ship with one of these Charlie G's 84 during the Falklands invasion.

Good bit of kit but as 13 says very heavy

This baby solves a lot of issues and it has additional items for all occasions. It is rather heavy and carry the ammunition is an issue. I have read the US Army and the US Marines are issued with this darling...do you have any experience with it, Brinktk?

From Sweden with Love.....

I don't have any personal experience with them but I do know soldiers that have used them in Afghanistan. They all said great things about it except for its weight.

I´ve fired the Gustav several times.
In Afghanistan it was often used against fortified positions or against personnel in the open. It´s a very user-friendly weapon. Very accurate and very effective.

3.5 Rocket Launcher

Although I never fired one, they were standard issue to the Engr. unit I was assigned to (in Germany) in the mid '60's.

Back