Best WWII Fighter by Category

from what i can tell the YAK 3 & YAK 9 are pretty much the same aircraft!

and in reply to Charge;

History

In an evolutionary process that originated with the Hawker Typhoon, the Hawker Sea Fury prototype flew for the first time on 21 February 1945. This machine was fitted with a Bristol Centaurus XII engine, a four blade propeller, an arresting hook and although the machine was destined for carrier operations, interestingly enough it was not fitted with folding wings. The second prototype flew on 12 October 1945 with a 2,550 hp Centaurus XV fitted to new shock mountings, a distinctive five blade Rotol propeller, an arresting hook and wings that were folded by hydraulic power.
Designated F (for "Fighter") Mark X, the first production Sea Fury flew on 7 September 1946 and these incorporated some minor changes such as a longer arresting hook.
Fifty Sea Fury F.Xs were constructed and the type entered service with the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm (FAA) service in August 1947. Following its ancestral lineage, the Sea Fury F.X retained the standard brace of four 20 mm. cannon armament but had no provisions for external stores. As the future for piston engine fighters in the air superiority role was becoming increasingly dim, the design was modified
to accommodate external stores such as two 450 kg. (1,000 lb.) bombs or twelve 127 mm. (5 in.) rockets, as
well as rocket?assisted takeoff boosters. The result was the Sea Fury Mark XI, later redesignated the FB.11. This variant proved to be an outstanding success, providing the FAA with a tough attack aircraft with light and responsive controls. A total of 615 FB.11s were built, more than any other Hawker fighter in peacetime and in a time when piston aircraft were on the decline.

Participating in the Korean conflict, the Sea Fury proved to be a capable fighter and indeed, a weapons delivery platform. Operating from the decks of the Royal Navy carriers HMS GLORY, OCEAN and THESEUS and the Royal Australian Navy carrier HMAS SYDNEY, the Sea Furies carried out interceptions and air strikes. The type was also credited with shooting down two MiG?15 jet fighters, though several Sea Furies were lost to enemy fighters in return. By the time production ceased, 770 (some licence built) had been constructed, marking the end of quantity piston-engined fighter construction in the UK.

Charge_7 said:
Interesting. I guess they put the D-Day markings on it because it looks cool?

possibly, were those markings used in the korean was for ground support aircraft, i don't know enough about the korena war to say. but i can see how the might have carried on the practise to avoid friendly fire

Nope, only used for D-Day timeframe. It was so the planes would be clearly seen to be allied aircraft at a time when gunners would be inclined to shoot at everything and anything that flew over the beaches.

bang on the money charge;

The invasion stripes were first ordered on April 18, 1944. These stripes
were to be applied to all aircraft except four engine bombers, transports
(not troop carriers), gliders, night fighters and sea planes. On May 31 an
amended order was issued to allow the inclusion of stripes to gliders at
the discretion of the Air Commander-in -chief. There was also one night
fighter unit (the 522nd) which obviously miss-read the order and applied
invasions stripes to their P-61 Black Widows.

The application of the stripes was to be delayed as long as possible before
the landings, but with the original date set for June 4th many aircraft had
the stripes applied on June 3rd or 4th but most were applied on the 5th.
This also explains why some of the stripes are applied rather crudely.

By July, most units had already removed or covered the upper wing and
fuselage stripes to reduce visibility. On August 19, SHEAF ordered the
removal of stripes from all wing surfaces between August 25th and September
10th. Curiously, SHEAF never mentioned upper surface stripping in the
updated order. The remaining fuselage stripes were considered superfluous
by the beginning of November and an order was issued on December 6th to
remove all invasion stripes. The Battle of the Bulge put off in many
instances, the complete removal of all of the stripes.

guess they must have done it "cause it looks cool". shame really i like warbirds to be authentic as possible

i also found this...the germans were certianly on to it!

69E8397CCDCD44F49BBFA5CD4D913AF1.jpg

Back