Best WWII Fighter by Category - Page 2

--

March 20th, 2005  
MadeInChina

P 51 was the plane in fight role, it had long range and a pretty nifty firepower with good control and good visibility
March 20th, 2005  
EagleZtrike

Best Overall: Spitfire
Best Offensive: P51
Best Defensive: P47
March 20th, 2005  
Charge 7

That third pic you have there, Chewie, has D-Day markings on the plane. So I would assume from that it was used at least as early as June 6, 1944.
--
March 20th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
That third pic you have there, Chewie, has D-Day markings on the plane. So I would assume from that it was used at least as early as June 6, 1944.
yeah i noticed that (it's a hawker sea fury BTW)...have been trying to look up it's first use in combat. deffinately was used in korea.

that particular aircraft is know as the "bagdahd" sea fury
March 21st, 2005  
Kilgore

In my opinion, the spitfire is one of the best planes in WW2. Through it got outclassed later in the war, it played a significant part at the defence of england and the defeat of the Nazi empire.

Does anyone know any good soviet planes? I know about the IL-2 sturmovik but not sure about the Yaks and Migs.
March 21st, 2005  
chewie_nz

YAK 9 was a very capable & modern fighter

also the Lavochkin LA-9

early in the war they had an outdated (but extremly tough & hard to spot)
little fighter...the polikarpov

The stubby, tubby and oh-so-noisy Polikarpovs proved to once again be a great crowd pleaser. Their engine noise has been described as a "sewing machine on steroids”. Here one of the I-16s gets into the air.

heres a line up of the aircraft that made up the bulk of the soviet airforce cira 1940

and here's one for fans of the corsair;

kiwi WWII markings [/img]
March 21st, 2005  
Kilgore

The Yak is quite a nice fighter, but it seems to look like a bit of a copy of the spitfire. A very nice plane though. The others look terrible in my opinion.
March 21st, 2005  
EagleZtrike

OMGG THE LITTLE CHUBBY PLANE IS SO COOL
March 21st, 2005  
chewie_nz

you should hear one....they sound like a tractor!
March 21st, 2005  
Mike Main

Think he's right about the Yak-9. A good fighter at the end of the war. High altitude performance is a question mark, but a good performer.
The Yak-3 was a good one too earlier in the war.