Best and Worst Tanks of Today and Yesterday

--

October 10th, 2005  
Topgunjn1

Topic: Best and Worst Tanks of Today and Yesterday

I feel one of the best tanks in history was The King Tiger Tank of WWII, its armor was found to be nearly impossible to penetrate(except from the rear). The worst tank would have to be T-72, which showed its numerous flaws in Desert Strom I

What do you think? Would like to know your opinions out there.
October 10th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Topic: Re: Best and Worst Tanks of Today and Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunjn1
I feel one of the best tanks in history was The King Tiger Tank of WWII, its armor was found to be nearly impossible to penetrate(except from the rear). The worst tank would have to be T-72, which showed its numerous flaws in Desert Strom I

What do you think? Would like to know your opinions out there.
I don't agree with your choices. The King Tiger was unreliable, a gas guzzler and grossly underpowered. It may have been very difficult to knock out from the front and had a powerful high-velocity gun but most either broke down or were scuttled by their crews when they ran out of fuel.

As for the T-72 you're being incredibly unfair. The T-72 was a generation older than the M-1s' and Challenger 2s' it faced in 1991 and Soviet armour and fire control technologies were never up to the best of the Western tanks. Despite that, and the fact that the auto-loader was unreliable, the T-72 was a good design IMO. It was fast, had a low profile and a good gun. The Russians build good tanks. They've done so ever since the T-34.

Best tank - T-34 or Panther G (obviously today's best tanks are in theory the best tanks but history has yet to fully judge them).

Worst tank - way too many to choose from.
October 10th, 2005  
Armyjaeger

Quote:
Despite that, and the fact that the auto-loader was unreliable, the T-72 was a good design IMO. It was fast, had a low profile and a good gun. The Russians build good tanks. They've done so ever since the T-34.
IMO the T-72 is junk and doesn't really help the fact that in most cases where it takes a penetrating hit it executes the flying frying pan manouver and Im not really fond to its autoloader either. Perhaps with modern fire control system and ammunition coupled with a well trained crew it might have some chances against modern armor...might have.
Russians did build good tanks, and they had a slight edge on it all the way until late 70's I think, about the time when these modern western tanks started making their breakthrough that we see today.
--
October 10th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyjaeger
Russians did build good tanks, and they had a slight edge on it all the way until late 70's I think, about the time when these modern western tanks started making their breakthrough that we see today.
Although I stand by my opinion that the T-72 is a good tank, it wasn't as good, IMO, as the Leopard 1 or M-60 that it shared a generation with.
October 10th, 2005  
Topgunjn1

Yes your right that the original Tiger tank was underpowered, but I believe the King Tiger or Tiger II with its newer power plant from Porsche. Though it is true that the King was a gas guzzler, and often was abandoned by its crews, I believe this is because the time the King came out Germany no longer possed the ability to continually supply the needs of the King. Thus the need to abandon it.

I do concede that another excellent tank was the T-34, the T-72 even in its own generation was said to have great quality production flaws.

Quote:
I don't agree with your choices. The King Tiger was unreliable, a gas guzzler and grossly underpowered. It may have been very difficult to knock out from the front and had a powerful high-velocity gun but most either broke down or were scuttled by their crews when they ran out of fuel.
October 10th, 2005  
AlexKall

T-34 in my opinion.
October 10th, 2005  
Topgunjn1

Ok now that the consencious is that the T-34 is the best tank from Yesterday what about today?

I think its a toss up between The M1A2 Abrams and The German Leopard 2A6.
October 10th, 2005  
Fox

I think M1A1 is the best combat tank in the world. That's my opinion.
October 10th, 2005  
Navy Boy

The King tiger was pretty good tank of WW2
October 10th, 2005  
FutureDevilDog

Best tank today is the M1A2 Abrams