Best and Worst Navy of Today and Yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topgunjn1

As a whole I feel the U.S. Navy has one of the best Navys. Though in specific roles as in close shore ops, Anti submarine warfare, or amphibious operations its a toss up among many nations.

Now the best navy of the past thats a tuff one. Depending what era your talking about. Seeing since Navy's have been around since the beginning of civilization. If we go back to the late 30s and early 40s I feel The Imperial Navy of Japan was the best. Until after the attack on Pearl Harbor when the U.S. gots it rear in gear again.

In the worst Navy of modern times thats hard to really decide. Do you base it off size, disasters for the Navy or battles lost. For me I think of The Russian Navy. With al the problems with her aging fleet, and the not too recent lose of The Kursk. Not to mention the recent accident with another one of her subs. You would wonder why anybody would join the Russian Navy.

With regards to Yesterday's Navy again I would say the Russians. In WWI The Japanese easily destroyed The Russians Baltic Fleet but also disabled their eastern fleets by blocking their ports.

Let me know your opinions on this one.

The Swedish Navy was after the WW2 (if im not misstaking, around 50s 60s) the largest Navy, and aparently the best at the time, but as you say it depends on when you take a look at all the navies, many Navies have had its glory at one time or another. :)

Now? Not sure, but my guess is on the US Navy
The Swedish is a modern Navy though, but not perticuarly big.
The Brasillian Navy then? Remember it as rather big navy, dont know its current state though?
Canada is probebly alot like Swedish navy, modern but not that big.
The British navy is quite big aswell?

The British Navy is one of the largest in the world and has the second largest carrier force with three carriers. Of course the U.S. navy has the largest with I believe 12 carriers.

I am not sure I'm going to agree with the Russians as worst in history just because of the Japanese. Their civiliaztion then went on to become a world superpower taking over the entire pacific with their Navy. Their strategy was brilliant and innovative in the Russo-Japanese navy battles. I very much accreditt the Japanese naval prowess more than Russia's incompetence in that war.

I think our navy is the best of all time, when it comes to just pure dominance of the seas.

Worst of all time, id have to say the persians after there defeat by the greeks. (sorry phoneix :p )

Rabs said:
I think our navy is the best of all time, when it comes to just pure dominance of the seas.

Worst of all time, id have to say the persians after there defeat by the greeks. (sorry phoneix :p )

Disagree with you there.

The best Navy of all time was probably the British Royal Navy. It achieved dominance after destroying the Spainish Armada in 1588 and stayed Top Dog until it was surpassed by the USN in WWII. Thats almost 400 years of Naval supremacy. The USN really didnt start to get the ball going until the Great White Fleet (around 1898) but didnt reach its apex until about 1944

The runner up would be the Roman Navy, but I consider this to be somewhat cheating as the Romans simply copied the Navy of the Carthaginians. Probably the first recorded incedent of military reverse engineering.

mmarsh I'm going to backup rabs on this one.

While the Royal Navy was certainly extremely effective in its time, it was still primarily a support arm. Its job was to get the lobsterbacks to the conflict zone and prevent the enemy from using the sea against their armies.

With the advent of the aircraft carrier this has changed, and the United States more than any other millitary has embraced and exploited the aircraft carrier.

The Nimitz class is the arm of american diplomacy. The Chinese don't just haul out and smack Taiwan is because they know there is a Nimitz sitting somewhere off the coast.

The Nimitz has given the US the ability to sit a country-destroying force within range of any country it decides at any/all times it wants. Don't like what Argentina is doing, you've got a Nimitz sitting there with the capability to devestate that country within days.

That's the advantage of the US navy over previous navies in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back