Best Weapons for Jungle Combat ?

How would the XM8 compare to the L1A1?

I have no idea, I've never seen an XM8. The thing to remember the L1A1 has been battle tested over many years and has been proven to be very reliable. My first issue L1A1 was an old dog, probably nearly as old as I was, but it was very accurate and very reliable. I took part in inter regimental shooting competitions at Pirbright with it.

I have no idea, I've never seen an XM8. The thing to remember the L1A1 has been battle tested over many years and has been proven to be very reliable. My first issue L1A1 was an old dog, probably nearly as old as I was, but it was very accurate and very reliable. I took part in inter regimental shooting competitions at Pirbright with it.

The XM8 is basically the newer, US version. I personally prefer the L1A1 to the XM8. The XM8 has no attitude and I don't think it's even in service yet. It probably won't ever get issued as the SCAR H Is probably going to completely undermine it. Speaking of which...the SCAR L might actually fare quite well in jungle warfare.
What did most of your opponents use in the competition?

The XM8 is basically the newer, US version. I personally prefer the L1A1 to the XM8. The XM8 has no attitude and I don't think it's even in service yet. It probably won't ever get issued as the SCAR H Is probably going to completely undermine it. Speaking of which...the SCAR L might actually fare quite well in jungle warfare.
What did most of your opponents use in the competition?

We all used the L1A1 which was general issue at that time.

I thought you used a GPMG? I'm so sorry that I'm acting so behind on this conversation..

To answer the question this thread is about, the best weapon for jungle warfare...would be a flamethrower!!!! *sheepish smile*

PS: I apologize for posting the same thing twice.

A LOT of time in the Jungle

I have many a trip through the jungle in Africa. With ammo availability a concern, my favorite is the AK. If we were well supplied, I prefer my HK in 7.62. Until you see 556 tracers zinging all over the place, you will not have the greater desire for a 7.62.... 51 0r 39....

During the VietNam War U.S. Navy Seals used the Ithaca model 37 shotgun ( 12 gauge) equipped with a Duckbill Diverter. This was a machined aluminum device attached at the muzzle the was designed to spread a load of buckshot in a horizontal band rather than a circular pattern.
The device was designed and made at the Naval Weapons Station, Crane Indiana, and it worked too!
The point man on patrol in heavy jungle or while patrolling at night carried this weapon for obvious reasons.

G3+sight / Ak47+grenade launcher / Clamore mines/ booby trps / 1 dog / some camouflags and smoke bombs

Stealth is the best weapon in the Jungle Americans want to move too quickly you must move slooooowly be very observant above you and below you .

Stealth is the best weapon in the Jungle Americans want to move too quickly you must move slooooowly be very observant above you and below you .

That's depend on the operation type, I think sometimes loud noises can help.

Regardless of what environment you operate in, noise will attract hostile fire.
The best weapon will always be yourself and your ability to think, act and adapt to the reality you are in right now.

Regardless of what environment you operate in, noise will attract hostile fire.
The best weapon will always be yourself and your ability to think, act and adapt to the reality you are in right now.

Bingo, if you know how to operate effectively in the jungle, you can use the jungle itself to be a weapon against your adversary without ever firing a shot. Leeches and Malaria simply suck(no pun intended) no matter who or what you are!

Bingo, if you know how to operate effectively in the jungle, you can use the jungle itself to be a weapon against your adversary without ever firing a shot. Leeches and Malaria simply suck(no pun intended) no matter who or what you are!

True and certain units did just that in WW2 for example the Chindit's and the Marauder's.
That being said I'm sure their are certain weapons particularly well suited to jungle fighting like in Vietnam they used the Browning 10 Gauge in thick cover.

G3+sight / Ak47+grenade launcher / Clamore mines/ booby trps / 1 dog / some camouflags and smoke bombs

The viet kong's way is my selection, and the farks are another good example.And the kurds , their incredible warriors in mountains and low cover jungles.
None of these don't use silencers or uavs or other types of modern weapones.

Last edited:
Forget all the talk about the best weapon or equipment. Only a layman will find it interesting
A professional knows that it's all about experience and training.
When I was on a patrol course in the UK, our instructor (who was from the SAS) told us that the only weapon you really need is your brain.
If you can think out of the box, then even the terrain and the weather can be used as weapons.

Back