Best Weapons for Jungle Combat ?

:shock:
I wonder how long it takes before a moderator closes this thread
It must have violated all the rules on this forum.

A far sight from all the rules. And it's all in good clean....well by Marine standards fun.

He's a bootneck, and he's okay,
He drinks all night and he fights all day.

The Royal Marines had another little habit of stripping right off and racing over course with a rolled up newspaper which had been set on fire stuck in some orifice or other. I think I may still have some photo's of them doing this, but even if I found them I wonder if they could be posted here.

The Royal Marines had another little habit of stripping right off and racing over course with a rolled up newspaper which had been set on fire stuck in some orifice or other. I think I may still have some photo's of them doing this, but even if I found them I wonder if they could be posted here.

The dance of the flaming bum (I'm being polite here). I've seen matelots doing it in Bugis street during the late 1960's.

Going back to the old way, I choose to have a machete and a 40 cal. Effective as ever, dating back to the cavalry days were they are killers.

The M16 would be useless in thick jungle due to it's small caliber. My country has something called the R4 which is based on the Galil Arm and so its rounds basically shred everything to pieces. These rounds are inaccurate but in Jungle warfare nobody is going to be able to see as far as they can shoot so I doubt the would matter much. The weapon was built for our dry climate, and so it may be very unreliable in damp jungles so I'm not sure if it would be the best. It is also quite long, but there is a bullpup version in production which would fix this problem. Another option would be the L85A2 which, since it is built for amphibious assaults, would work better in the jungle's damp climate. It is heavy, meaning a soldier would become extremely tired trying to carry it through a thick, hot and humid environment. I hope this helps :)
PS: South African soldiers do not run around in leopard skins trying to poke each other.

The M16 would be useless in thick jungle due to it's small caliber. My country has something called the R4 which is based on the Galil Arm and so its rounds basically shred everything to pieces. These rounds are inaccurate but in Jungle warfare nobody is going to be able to see as far as they can shoot so I doubt the would matter much. The weapon was built for our dry climate, and so it may be very unreliable in damp jungles so I'm not sure if it would be the best. It is also quite long, but there is a bullpup version in production which would fix this problem. Another option would be the L85A2 which, since it is built for amphibious assaults, would work better in the jungle's damp climate. It is heavy, meaning a soldier would become extremely tired trying to carry it through a thick, hot and humid environment. I hope this helps :)
PS: South African soldiers do not run around in leopard skins trying to poke each
other.

The L 85 A 2 and M 16 fire the same caliber round.

A friend of the family was one of the design team of the SA80 at Enfield Lock, he managed to get the gas system working, but the rest of the rifle he reckoned was a piece of crap. He walked into his bosses office one morning, dumped a SA80 on his desk and basically said "This piece of sh!t will never work properly." His boss shook his head and told him that it has to be made to work as its now gone political.

A gun magazine in UK was closed down by spooks when it reported on the failure and poor reliability of the SA80. If I remember correctly during the first Gulf war SA80's were withdrawn and troops were reissued with the British built FN FAL L1A1, which did work.

Even if it is now working, I personally I don't like the bullpup design, try firing it off the left shoulder and you'll have your teeth removed by the cocking handle.

It's not ambidextrous like the AUG?

No its not Yoss, personally I think its a bad design, but it appears that serving soldiers like the rifle. The old issue British built FN FAL the L1A1 could be used off either shoulder, which in my opinion was a far better rifle, it was accurate, hit hard and very reliable. Its main problem was that it was too long.

A question that should be asked, "Why doesn't the SAS use the SA80"? They use the M16 or M4 if I remember correctly.

Back