Best Weapons for Jungle Combat ?

Was watching a show about Vietnam and got to wondering, what would be the best weapons for jungle combat? What would you equip yourself and/or your squad with if you were operating in a jungle, mangrove, etc.
The best weapon is yourself. With the necessary training required and operational experience, you are at the forefront. A firearm is just a tool and the best guns will always be those you are trained on and know inside out.

The gun you are trained best with though may not be very effective in that kind of enviroment. Its like trying cqc with a barret m82a1.

The gun you are trained best with though may not be very effective in that kind of enviroment. Its like trying cqc with a barret m82a1.
Bollocks!
Seen much combat or training in a jungle?

Whatever weapon I possess in a jungle I will, because of my training, be able to use it very effectively.
With the training I have I will be able to kill you with a pencil. Again, a firearm is only a tool.

Bollocks!
Seen much combat or training in a jungle?

Whatever weapon I possess in a jungle I will, because of my training, be able to use it very effectively.
With the training I have I will be able to kill you with a pencil. Again, a firearm is only a tool.

Very well said, Adapt and overcome, true as in anything.

The British campaign and operations during the emergency in Malaya and Borneo are text book.

If I remember correctly there was also a jungle warfare school at Jahore Baru run by the Ghurka's

if i had a squad i would arm two with M4's one man with a flamethrower and another with some sort of longer ranged rifle as for myself i would pack my favorite long rifle the TAC .50.

if i had a squad i would arm two with M4's one man with a flamethrower and another with some sort of longer ranged rifle as for myself i would pack my favorite long rifle the TAC .50.
Call of duty modern warfare 100. :confused:

Last edited:
I am frequently asked something on the order of "What do you think is the "best" weapon for 'X' [situation]?"

My stock answer is thus:

"The best weapon in the world is the one you are most comfortable using; that works reliably whenever you pull the trigger; that has acceptable mechanical accuracy out of the box; and whose projectile will stop or kill an adult, male human, or at least an adult of whatever it is you expect to be shooting."

Terrain is irrelevant. Ironmongery is irrelevant. All that matters is:

a) Are you comfortable using the weapon currently in your hands?

b) Do you understand the details of your environment?

c) Do you understand your opponent?

d) Can you get a shot into the other guy before he gets a shot into you?

....Everything else is conditional.

I haven't seen much in the way of modern polymer bullet hoses that eat up your ammunition at the same pace Walstreet eats up bailouts.

I haven't spent weeks without bathing lugging 90 lbs of gear facing constant threats on the verge of dehydration and death in a warzone. Rightly so I don't even dare comment on that, it's not my place , and I know my role and nod my repects to the very members here on the forums as well as all others abroad who have.

Though if for whatever diplomatic or travel agency screw up of a reason I ended alone in a failed state somewhere in the jungle, and had no other option.

Then there is something I could ask for from experience, yes through the back channels and failed firearms control policies of the good ole' US of A, I have had a minor amount of trigger time with some semi automatic version's of the Warsaw Pact's finest. (AKM)

High humidity tropical environment, I would ask for what I know, an 870 express, or an 870 military equivelant, an AKM or preferably an AK 74, and as for side arm, an S&W .40 cal (Solid frame like the SW 99 or police issue model) , because I also am familiar with that platform.

Plus I would look at common ammunition for where you are located at. Can't really go wrong with 12. Gauge 3 inch. or old Soviet Rounds in many areas of the world.

Because let's face it, I don't want something I don't know how to use, or when it malfunctions I am left clueless, learning proper maintance of my weapon as it malfunctions and I am left vulnerable is not the time ask for a manual.

I would have to know by nature the concept of it's mechanism and how to clear ,and return the weapon to firing condition ASAP.

Dehydration, disease and exhaustion are killers if left unattended to, lack of drinkable water can be deadly even in the Rain forest, that being said,

The last thing I would want is some weapon system that is newest and coolest thing in the eyes of prepubescent children who adore it the world over because somebody got a million views firing the faulty prototype on you tube.

Or a 3 D model of the weapon system that looks cool in the latest video game, safety switch and ejection ports being on the wrong side in the game and all. Only for the game's "audience" to never realize there is a reason not one military organization the world over doesn't use the weapon system, mainly because the system is garbage.

Lastly. I ask one thing before I ship out to meet my demise in the Rain forest, at least 3 weeks, solid days spent on the range with qualified instructors with verifiable experience. All the Hollywood images aside, I would like to start over from scratch, learn a few proper marksmanship techniques and principles so when I did screw the pooch in the jungle at least I bite it knowing which end was the dangerous end.

A little recap for those who scrolled to the bottom of my post in fear of the large number of words.

My Choices

870 Express (pistol grip would be nice)
S&W SW 99 .40 Cal or similar S & W platform
AKM or AK 74 with Soviet Issue Sling ( I have a fetish for slings).

Last edited:
Good choices Yossarian.

However, my choices would be:-

CZ75 9mm Parabellum or 1911 Colt 45 ACP.

12 bore Winchester pump with extended magazine

Sterling SMG

L1A1 rifle

Yes, or pots and pans if you were in the ACC.

It's not the pots and pans that are dangerous, its what the buggers put in them.

I remember a Snowdrop Sergeant coming into the mess one day saying, "ANY COMPLAINTS? If you have keep em to your F:cens:ing self.":roll:

:eek:fftopic::sorry:

Last edited:
Old timer..^^:peace:^

How about a Swedish K (m45) SMG..Silenced ofcourse for that "What the hell hit that guy" factor.
Uploaded m39b 9mm.

That SMG has the added benefit of using the same ammo as the Glock 17...(Less to carry)
Add a silencer to the pistol and a brain to the head and you can stalk around the jungle untill they cut it all down to use as paneling in Hoolyweed...

KJ sends..

Back