Best way to become Brig Gen +?

JulesLee

man When I join.. I want to be at least an O-7 before i retire.. man General sounds sooooooo nice....... :lol: :shock:

so which career field is the best way to become O-7?
If not I just want to be O-5 or 6 and teach JROTC cuz I somewhat want to be a teacher but it seems boring grading papers and talk about crap you wont remember and wont need.. :eek:

My JROTC instructor served in teh AF for 27 years and his Lt. Col o__o!

Mod Edit: Read through the forum rules. No matter how small you make the font, you cannot beg for milbucks donations. Doing so again will result in a fine of your milbucks and possible temporary ban.

JulesLee said:
man When I join.. I want to be at least an O-7 before i retire.. man General sounds sooooooo nice....... :lol: :shock:

so which career field is the best way to become O-7?
If not I just want to be O-5 or 6 and teach JROTC cuz I somewhat want to be a teacher but it seems boring grading papers and talk about crap you wont remember and wont need.. :eek:

My JROTC instructor served in teh AF for 27 years and his Lt. Col o__o!

Mod Edit: Read through the forum rules. No matter how small you make the font, you cannot beg for milbucks donations. Doing so again will result in a fine of your milucks and possible temporary ban.
My NJROTC instructors was a 1st sgt in the marine core,but now is retired
and we also have a captain that was in the navy but is now also retired.

Hard work does have alot to do with it, but then so does a certain amount of good luck. Doing the right thing at the right time, getting noticed, and finally being in the position to take the slot when it becomes available. Out of all the officers I started from the ground up with, two are Generals. One is the current DAG (Deputy Adjutant General) of my home state and the other is the retired former commander of the 42nd ID. I've known both since I was a 2LT. The DAG was a a LT with me, and the division CO was my first battery commander after I was commissioned. Both are extremely capable men and damn fine leaders. They both also understand politics very, very well. My old battery commander knew not only every man's first name, but he knew the names of their wives and children, what they did for a living and how they were doing. He could still do this when he became my battalion commander - for a unit of over 750 men! But that's politics - as for his professional abilities, they were second to none. The last year he was BC our battalion placed second all Army in ARTEP evaluations. We'd always been among the best - he found a way to make us even better.

Charge pretty much nailed it. Dedication and hard work are only part of it -- it is also about being in the right place at the right time, understanding politics (the higher you get, the more you need to be able to work with civilians and elected officials), not doing anything detrimental to the uniform (i.e., stay out of trouble), and leadership. A good book to read about all this is GEN (Ret.) H. Norman Schwarzkopf's book "It Doesn't Take a Hero." It's a long book, but since it's written from a first-person perspective and in a story-telling manner, it's a quick read.

There's only one flag rank billet that I'm even remotely interested in, so my chances of making flag rank are slim to none. Oh well, "Rear Admiral Chen" would've sounded nice. :lol:

Charge 7 said:
One is the current DAG (Deputy Adjutant General) of my home state and the other is the retired former commander of the 42nd ID.
Is that Taluto, sir?

AJChenMPH said:
Charge pretty much nailed it. Dedication and hard work are only part of it -- it is also about being in the right place at the right time, understanding politics (the higher you get, the more you need to be able to work with civilians and elected officials), not doing anything detrimental to the uniform (i.e., stay out of trouble), and leadership. A good book to read about all this is GEN (Ret.) H. Norman Schwarzkopf's book "It Doesn't Take a Hero." It's a long book, but since it's written from a first-person perspective and in a story-telling manner, it's a quick read.

There's only one flag rank billet that I'm even remotely interested in, so my chances of making flag rank are slim to none. Oh well, "Rear Admiral Chen" would've sounded nice. :lol:

Charge 7 said:
One is the current DAG (Deputy Adjutant General) of my home state and the other is the retired former commander of the 42nd ID.
Is that Taluto, sir?

MG Taluto is the current commander of the 42nd ID, LT. The officer I mentioned is a past commander. I do know General Taluto, but he was not who I was talking about. BTW, General Taluto married a Vermonter and lives right on the NY/VT border. He's quite a capable officer himself, of course.

As for your dream, isn't the Surgeon General a Vice Admiral? Or am I mistaking your meaning?

i think he just wants something with rear in it :lol: ;)

at least i hope he does otherwise im pakcing my bags and starting to run!

1. Graduate from one of the four military academies or Virginia Military Institute or the Citadel.
2. Study history, military history, and international politics.
3. Once you graduate, wear your class ring wherever you go.
4. Marry a general's daughter.
5. Learn to play golf and how not to beat your superiors.
6. Never complain about your assignment.
7. Seek assigments to combat arms units(for quick promotions).
8. Take graduate courses through the Command and General Staff College.
9. Learn to socialize well.
10. Spend at least 20 years doing the above.

Charge 7 said:
MG Taluto is the current commander of the 42nd ID, LT. The officer I mentioned is a past commander. I do know General Taluto, but he was not who I was talking about. BTW, General Taluto married a Vermonter and lives right on the NY/VT border. He's quite a capable officer himself, of course.
Ah, okay sir. I had heard that MG Taluto was retiring out of the NY ARNG after his tour in Iraq was up, wasn't sure if the 42nd ID had returned home. Prior to my entering the Guard, our unit did the medical SRP's for the 42nd before they shipped out.

Charge 7 said:
As for your dream, isn't the Surgeon General a Vice Admiral? Or am I mistaking your meaning?
The SG is a presidential appointee and a physician, sir -- you are a correct that it's a 3-star rank; however, I'm not an MD, so no chance of me getting that billet. There's a senior advisor billet in the Office of Public Health Emergency Preparedness (the office that I work in) that's a 1-star billet, that's probably the only flag billet I want.

Back