Best Warriors - Page 2

--
Boots

February 1st, 2005  
AussieNick

The New Zealand Maori's, for sheer psycological factor.

Bloody scary fella's, always have been, always will be.
The British used to think the long bayonet was the most effective and terrible weapon at close range until they met the Maori's and fought them, they soon learned that their war spears (not thrown) were far more terrifying and effective.

Produced the regions most terrifying warriors, now they produce the biggest and hardest rugby players.
February 1st, 2005  
serbianpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNick
The New Zealand Maori's, for sheer psycological factor.

Bloody scary fella's, always have been, always will be.
The British used to think the long bayonet was the most effective and terrible weapon at close range until they met the Maori's and fought them, they soon learned that their war spears (not thrown) were far more terrifying and effective.

Produced the regions most terrifying warriors, now they produce the biggest and hardest rugby players.
I forgot them, they are tough. u don`t wanna fight with them. they would kill you and eat your ... then. nasty.
February 1st, 2005  
godofthunder9010

One of the more interesting things is the tendency of the West to overstate the proficiency of the ancient warriors of Southeast Asia. While they were extremely good, Hollywood and hype tend to go much too far.

The warriors that shocked and terrified the world around them were: the Mongols, the Huns, the Greek/Macedonians under Alexander, the Persians, the Assyrians, the Manchus, the Arabs, the Ottoman Turks. Individually, the Cossack and the Samurai would rate very highly, but the
Samurai tends to benefit from overmuch hype. Many more could be listed of course, but in my opinion, the best way to judge a the quality of a group of warriors is seeing how they stacked up against the armies of their time. This is not always best of course. Some of the truly great warriors of history were poorly organized, so they were not given the opportunity to leave their mark. The great warriors of the Middle Ages in Europe fall into that category.

I believe that the greatest warrior of all-time (compared with their own time period in history) was the Mongol. I feel that is the case because they were a complete warrior. I'm not talking about cage match scenarios. That would prove nothing useful. The Mongol was extremely good with his horse and his bow, he had an incredible sense of direction, fought extremely well in any climate or terrain, and was extremely adaptable to changes. He could survive off the land if needed and you had to be one helluva tracker to find a Mongol unless he wanted to be found. He was extremely proficient with numerous weapons. The Mongol is also easily among the toughest warriors in history ... probably THE toughest.
--
Boots
February 2nd, 2005  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7