Best war song

Uh Uh...

the best antiwar satire song I ever heard was the "Feel like Im fixing to die young Rag" from Country Joe and the Fish...Woodstock Music festival, 1969.

The Best Pro-war song? "Sink the Bizmark" by Johnny Horton

:D

check if you guys could get some translations of german war songs.....
their absolutely...go under the skin...

One time...I believe they had the old "Deutchland Uber Alles" song on the movie " the McKensie Break". It was the film about the breakout of german U-boat prisoners in Britain...dont know if its based on real life or not. But listening to almost 500 extras singing that song kinda made my hairs stand up...even sung in german.

Im not praising the song because of its ties to Nazi Germany...But I can see why so many in germany during WWII could be inspired by it. Its powerful.

Dont underestimate the power of inspiration...in any form. :shock:

By the way the deutschland über alles song, just was abused by the nazis..
It origin is in the 17th century, when germany was splitted up in many little monarchies and provinces. In this time the poets and philosophers began to dream of a united Germany.
And that is the sense of that song... Germany as a united nation over all those little monarchies.....
and not as the nazis brought up over every country in the world

Mark Conley said:
Uh Uh...

the best antiwar satire song I ever heard was the "Feel like Im fixing to die young Rag" from Country Joe and the Fish...Woodstock Music festival, 1969.

The Best Pro-war song? "Sink the Bizmark" by Johnny Horton

:D

I agree, that sone buy country joe is really good :)
Anyone know how those trails of him steeling the music(?) from another song went?

Marksman said:
Best song in times of vietnam.I think it is CCR-Fortunate son what do you say!!

Martha and the Vandellas - Nowhere to Run. ;)

That is, if you take it out of context. :lol:

Razor said:
"Bodies" by Drowning Pool. :rambo:
Didn't know that was about war. Always figured that it was more about a serial killer. Must listen it again I guess..... (and I think it's more recent then Vietnam... ;) )

1217 said:
Didn't know that was about war. Always figured that it was more about a serial killer.

Well I guess you have to take it a bit out of context. ;)

Check this place: http://grouchymedia.com/videos/taliban_bodies/index.cfm
It may help you see that it a good war song...

1217 said:
Must listen it again I guess..... (and I think it's more recent then Vietnam... ;) )

Razor said:
Best song in times of vietnam

I missed that, ignor my first post. :oops:

Well this was only a short hundred years before Vietnam, but Battle Hymn of the Republic. Kin I git a HOOAH!? :lol: (yeah i got identity issues, one half of my family's from Missourri, the other half from Pennsylvania. I don't know if I'm supposed to be a Yankee or a Southern boy :lol: )

Redneck said:
Well this was only a short hundred years before Vietnam, but Battle Hymn of the Republic. Kin I git a HOOAH!? :lol: (yeah i got identity issues, one half of my family's from Missourri, the other half from Pennsylvania. I don't know if I'm supposed to be a Yankee or a Southern boy :lol: )

You know deep down what you should be, don't let the Yanks take away your pride. ;)

Yeah, my Moms side is from Tennessee and the rest (which is a lot) are from Arkansas. So when the cease fire ends I know what side I'll be on. ;)

Razor said:
1217 said:
Didn't know that was about war. Always figured that it was more about a serial killer.
Well I guess you have to take it a bit out of context. ;)
a bit?!?!?! :lol:
Razor said:
Check this place: http://grouchymedia.com/videos/taliban_bodies/index.cfm
It may help you see that it's a good war song...
I get your point, but still it sounds to me that the singer needs a tranquilliser real bad...
Razor said:
Best song in times of Vietnam
I missed that, ignore my first post. :oops:
And I missed that :? Our aim must be off..... ;) :lol:

1217 said:
a bit?!?!?! :lol:

Yeah a bit of a whole lot.

1217 said:
I get your point, but still it sounds to me that the singer needs a tranquilliser real bad...

Yeah, he just got done with a super caffeine coffee commercial. (they had to do a lot of takes cuz he's a bad actor) ;)

1217 said:
Our aim must be off..... ;) :lol:

Just a bit. ;)

lol @ Razor

But to get back on topic; I'd like 'Paint in black' for the title. Not because it is an actual Vietnam war song, but because it was used as theme for 'Tour of Duty' Every time I hear the Intro to that song, I can see the Huey's take off.

To hell with Vietnam, Nothing beats :

I wouldn't give a bean
To be a fancy pants Marine
I'd rather be a dog faced soldier like I am.
I wouldn't trade my old ODs
For all the Navy's dungarees
I'm just a fighting son of Uncle Sam.

On all the posters that I read
It says: "The Army builds men"
So they're tearing me down
To build me over again.

I'm just a dog faced soldier
With a rifle on my shoulder
And I eat a Kraut for breakfast every day.
So feed me ammunition,
Keep me in the 3rd Division,
Your dog face soldier boy's Okayeee

from To Hell and Back

Well, if we're talking about Vietnam, as far as anti-war songs go there were quite a few as I remember. Just before I was sent to Vietnam, I was stationed at Fort Ord in California. I used to get a kick out of calling the local radio station in Monterey and requesting Edwin Star's "War" (what is it good for). I remember the DJ announcing "We have a request for War and you won't believe who requested it. Drill Sergeant xxx from Fort Ord". Of course I always used one of our drill sergeants' names.

For pro-military I think it would have to be SSG Barry Sadler's "Ballad of The Green Berets".

Back