Best tanks, Allies or Axis?

Axis tanks, by far. not only where they better vehicles, they had the best tank crews in the world. the success of the german panzer battalions was is one of the greatest stories in military history. how can you argue with this? the kill rate for tanks in europe: five axis tanks to one german tank. thats not very good at all. the shermans where horrible, but when you mass produce them like we could it didnt matter. the germans mistake was to keep developing new designs, instead of just mass producing the mark v with the long 75 mm gun. it would eat shermans alive all day, and we dont even need to talk of the tigers with there 88's.

lundin said:
Axis tanks, by far. not only where they better vehicles, they had the best tank crews in the world. the success of the german panzer battalions was is one of the greatest stories in military history. how can you argue with this? the kill rate for tanks in europe: five axis tanks to one german tank. thats not very good at all. the shermans where horrible, but when you mass produce them like we could it didnt matter. the germans mistake was to keep developing new designs, instead of just mass producing the mark v with the long 75 mm gun. it would eat shermans alive all day, and we dont even need to talk of the tigers with there 88's.
Germany definitely had the best overall, but remember that you can't credit the Axis as having the best because Italy's and Japan's tanks were terrible compared to everyone else's. The Axis had the best and worst.

godofthunder9010 said:
lundin said:
Germany definitely had the best overall, but remember that you can't credit the Axis as having the best because Italy's and Japan's tanks were terrible compared to everyone else's. The Axis had the best and worst.

I feel sorry for the Germans being lumbered with the hapless Italians as allies (apologies to any Italians reading this!).

I mean the USSR had the USA and the UK. Germany had Japan (not really involved in the same war) and Italy (hopeless). In fact it was lucky that the Italian bomber fleets had such poor aim otherwise they might have sunk half their own fleet. ;)

I'm a WWII expert. Its easy to tell

Best tanks:

Germany
America
Britian
Russia

Best Tank Destroyers:

America
German
Russia
Britian

I know. My dads tanker.

I have to completely disagree. How could you say that Russian tanks were less good than USA and UK tanks. Id definetly like a source for that.

As to tank destroyers, how can any USA tank destoryer be compared to the German Jagedpanther or Jagedtiger, or even the USSRs SU100?

My opinion:

1.Germany: overal superior tank design, technology in later stages of the war, chassis where highly adaptable, however due to the complexity of some designs, military f*ck ups by H*tler (not his Staff) and the relentless round the clock bombing campaigns on German industrial areas, mass production and proper development of certain models could not be achieved.

2. Russian: T-34 revolutionised armor/tank design, crudely built but wel equiped for its job and available en mass. IS2 pretty good heavy tank

3. USA: Sherman could be build in large numbers, reliable, not well armored, German 88's had no problem penetrating the armor. Besides the M10 no purpose build tankdestroyers. M26 Pershing entered to late in the war to really prove itself.

4. The Cromwell and Churchil's did a fine job as AVRE's, thats about it, better designs came to late to make a difference.

I have to agree with Sherman about the Tank Destroyers. The Jagdpanther/tiger where purpose build TD.

Nazis Germany obviously had superior armor, however, since Germany's industrial centers that produce armored vehicles have been severely hampered, the Tiger II and Panthers were unable to counter the swarms of American Shermans despite their kill ratio.

Some historians argue that the T-34 and KV-1 are more superior because of their wide tracks that gives them excellent menuverability, but they were challenged by defective Panthers that were rushed to the battlefield. The Battle of Kursk and the Battle of Kharkov are not good examples to decide who had superior armor.

Does anybody have specifications on Germany's future Tank Projects until they fallen into the hands of the Allies? If the war have been prolonged, new behemoths would surely roam the battlefield.

I found some examples of the next gen German Panzers in WW2

PKW VIII Maus (Mouse):

Specs:

Weight:
188 tons!!
Crew:
Engine:
Daimler-Benz MB 509 / 12-cylinder / 1080hp (V1)
Daimler-Benz MB 517 Diesel / 12-cylinder / 1200hp (V2)
Fuel:
2650-2700 liters + 1500 liters in reserve tank
Speed:
13-20km/h
Range:
Road: 160-190km
Cross-Country: 62km
Dimensions:
L=10.09m, W=3.67m, H=3.63m
Armament:
128mm KwK 44 L/55 & 75mm KwK 44 L/36.5
1 x 7.92mm MG34
Ammo: 128mm - 55-68 rounds
75mm - 200 rounds
Armor (mm/angle):
Turret Roof: 60/90
Gun Mantlet: 250/round
Front Turret: 220-240/round
Superstructure Roof: 50-100/9
Front Glacis Plate: 200/55
Hull Front: 200/35
Belly Plate Fore: 100/90
Side Turret: 200/30
Hull Side Upper: 180/0
Hull Side Lower: 100+80/0
Rear Turret: 200/15
Hull Rear Upper: 150/37
Hull Rear Lower: 150/30
Belly Plate Aft: 50/90

maus_1.jpg

maus_2.jpg

Panther II

Weight: 47000kg
Crew: 5 men
Engine: Maybach HL 230 P 30 / 12-cylinder / 700hp
Speed: Road: 55km/h
Cross-Country: 30-40km/h
Range: Road: 240km
Cross-Country: 146km
Fuel Capacity: 700 litres
Lenght: 6.60m (w/o the gun)
-.--m (with the gun)
Width: 3.40m
Height: 2.90m
Armament: 88mm KwK 43 L/71 & 2 x MG
(1 x 7.92mm MG34 - hull)
(1 x 7.92mm MG34 - coaxial)
Ammo: 88mm - 80 rounds
Armor: 16-150mm

panth2_5.jpg

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/profiles.htm Here is a link with a lot of sick shit the Germans where planning/developping, including tanks up to 1000 tons :rambo:

Dutchy

it was my undersatanding that the soviets were the allies :lol:

and no tank could beat the churchill on rough terrain/uphill

Cadet Airman Adam Seaman said:
I'm a WWII expert. Its easy to tell

Best tanks:

Germany
America
Britian
Russia

Best Tank Destroyers:

America
German
Russia
Britian

I know. My dads tanker.
I think that's a very, very strong bias toward the American point of view, and not very realistic. There are several good tanks that the British and Americans came out with, but overall (taking the average from 1941-1945) the US and UK were inferior to the Germans and Russians in both design and function. The USA's Sherman was a lot easier to fix though.

As far as tank destroyers go ... consider that nobody killed as many tanks with so little as the Germans. They had lots of anti-tank systems they used to balance a very nonbalanced tank equation in the East.

Back