M15/42 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

--

April 22nd, 2004  
Pollux

yeah
that was Michael Wittman and his Crew
he "scored" over 138 tanks and 132 anti tank guns

once he wiped out a whole british convoy with about 25 tanks trucks and recce tanks
they drove on a narrow road trough a forest and wittman waited beside the road in the forest. From a distance of 80 meters he hit the first tank then drove his tiger onto the road and hit one vehicle after the other while his machinegunner held down the british infantry. his tiger got some hits, but nothing serious for a tiger....
so he foiled the attack of a whole british brigade
April 22nd, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

Basically, a badass.
April 22nd, 2004  
panzer

Yes that was in the Caen area....
--
April 22nd, 2004  
Doppleganger

Yeah. We and the Americans were lucky that we had daytime air supremacy over France during D-Day. If it wasn't for that fact there's no way that we'd have pushed the Germans back as quickly as we did after the break out..

There was some really decent units in Normandy at that time like the 21st Panzer Division, Panzer Lehr Division and the 12th SS Panzer Division.

We had nothing that could really cope with their Panthers or Tigers and the M26 Pershing (a good tank) arrived too late to have any impact.

Only the Red Army's JS-2's could match what the Germans had.
April 22nd, 2004  
panzer

yes air supremacy was the X-factor in Normandy.
April 23rd, 2004  
Pollux

the german problem was the fuel......
there were enough fighting planes but no fuel
they were just parking on their airfields
April 23rd, 2004  
Gunner13

Can I ask what the M3 Grant/Lee is doing in this poll? It was a nice try as a tank, but far from the best even in the early days of the North African Campaign. I concur with the nomination of the M4 Sherman Firefly, but what about the M4E8 (Easy Eight) or the British Comet??

Personally, I voted for the Panther G - very formidable tank and much better mobility than the Tiger II. It would have been a world beater with a diesel engine as the T34/76 or /85 had.
April 23rd, 2004  
panzer

I can't remember, but did any german armour use a diesel engine? I believe not many did if any at all.
April 23rd, 2004  
Pollux

no there were some tanks that used diesel engines...
for example the maus
April 24th, 2004  
Animal Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollux
no there were some tanks that used diesel engines...
for example the maus
An diesel-electric engine infact.