Best Tank of WW2 - Page 6

--

May 16th, 2006  
LeEnfield

Patton ....did not want an upgrade in the Tanks, he argued long and loud about any changes to the Sherman and also had a greater leaning towards TD and moblie artillery rather than Tanks
May 17th, 2006  
zander_0633

?Yeah! But by doing so, it cost the life of lots of lives of the innocent soliders!
May 17th, 2006  
Ted

Easy: Panther tank! A nice combination of punching power, speed, good engineering and reliablilty (especially compared to the Tigers). I certainly wouldn't want to go up against one, while sitting in a Sherman.
--
May 17th, 2006  
zander_0633

I can't agree any more! haha
May 17th, 2006  
jan-willem Fischer

Jagdpanther late
May 17th, 2006  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Easy: Panther tank! A nice combination of punching power, speed, good engineering and reliablilty (especially compared to the Tigers). I certainly wouldn't want to go up against one, while sitting in a Sherman.
Just to say that there really wasn't anything wrong with the reliability of the Tiger I. It wasn't as reliable as the Panzer Mk IV but it was decently reliable nonetheless. Perhaps you're thinking of the Tiger II?

In any case I agree with your choice. Although over-engineered and although the overlapping suspension wheels were prone to clogging (especially on the Eastern Front) the Ausf G version of the Panther is IMO the best overall tank of WW2.

BTW, the less said about Patton's advice regarding retention of the Sherman the better.
May 18th, 2006  
2dold4this

I think some of the problems with late war German designs can be attributed to poor metallurgy. The Germans lacked the needed alloys to make good steel at the end of the war.
May 18th, 2006  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dold4this
I think some of the problems with late war German designs can be attributed to poor metallurgy. The Germans lacked the needed alloys to make good steel at the end of the war.
This is definately true, although not a problem inherent in the designs themselves. Late production Tiger IIs in particular were affected by this.
May 18th, 2006  
zander_0633

Well, many of their factories were destroyed too.
May 18th, 2006  
Italian Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander_0633
Well, many of their factories were destroyed too.
Stunning revelation.