Best Tank of WW2 - Page 14

--

May 12th, 2009  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzercracker
Oh i agree that by 1944 converting the Pz-IVs would be a required but Germany should completely drop offensive tanks and stick to the small number of tigers as defensive and back them up with tank destroyers and spgs.
The one vehicle we haven't really looked at here was the Jadgpanzer-38(t) Hetzer which by all accounts was a very cheap and reliable vehicle (as was the PZ-38(t)) which had good crew survivability, mobility and packed the same 75mm Pak 39 L/48 as the PZ-IV, it was also much lighter than the PZ-IV at 16 tons against the 24 ton PZ-IV.
May 13th, 2009  
Panzercracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
The one vehicle we haven't really looked at here was the Jadgpanzer-38(t) Hetzer which by all accounts was a very cheap and reliable vehicle (as was the PZ-38(t)) which had good crew survivability, mobility and packed the same 75mm Pak 39 L/48 as the PZ-IV, it was also much lighter than the PZ-IV at 16 tons against the 24 ton PZ-IV.
When comparing casemate/turretless tank destroyers to tanks you need to take into account the lack of turret which is a massive disadvantage also Hetzers had 20mm less in front and only 6mm rear armor (dont remember how much was it on the sides but also not much) add to this poor visibility, very small gun traverse and its a pretty flawed vehicle.

It was OK as an improvement on the Marders, cheap, reliable and relatively effective but no big whoop, an argument that it could destroy allied armor at long ranges is also nothing spectacular, allied armor was absolutely pathetic throught the war so being able to wreck it is no big feat.
May 13th, 2009  
LeEnfield

Personally I think that the title of the best tank should go to the T34, it was cheap, well armoured and fairly well gunned. It had reliability which most of the German tanks did not, also the later models had been upgraded with better guns. With it's extra wide tracks it would get through the Russian mud which bogged down all the German Tanks
--
May 13th, 2009  
MontyB

I think you have to have lived in a cave for a very long time not to agree that the winner was the T-34, not only was it tough, reliable, well gunned and armoured it was also one of the few tanks that generated enormous amounts of fear in its opposition.

Lets be realistic here you don't read reports of shattered German tankers reporting that they fled from the Sherman or Allied tankers recounting attacks by Pz-IIIs I am prepared to bet that the T-34 and the Tiger-I caused a lot more sleepless nights in enemy ranks that any other armoured vehicles in WW2 or any war since.
May 13th, 2009  
SHERMAN

in truth, monty, the allied tankers had a tendecy to report a "Tiger" every time they met Pz IV or Panthers...
May 13th, 2009  
MontyB

Indeed they did which is what I mean when I say that the Tiger generated an extreme amount of fear, so much so that every German tank became a Tiger not a Pz-IV or Panther.
May 14th, 2009  
BritinAfrica

Personally I'd vote for the T34. Robust, reliable, good mobility, good protection and good gun, relatively easy to manufacture, operate and repair.
May 14th, 2009  
Warwick

Just on the T 34.
It lacked any crew comfort and didn't its commander hatch hinge forward???? Makes the commander very visible if he is up outside. Plus no radios???
Basically a good design with a few flaws.
May 14th, 2009  
Panzercracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwick
Just on the T 34.
It lacked any crew comfort and didn't its commander hatch hinge forward???? Makes the commander very visible if he is up outside. Plus no radios???
Basically a good design with a few flaws.
It had quite a lot flaws, you had to step on the drivers shoulders to look out the hatch, the loader didnt have enough room and the gun had pretty awfull accuracy, only in mid 44 they've started adding interkomms and radios but the heavier tanks and spgs had priority so many T-34s that stormed Berlin still had the old tried "bang the hammer on the side once to turn right, twice to turn left ..." method of communication.
May 15th, 2009  
LeEnfield

The T34 may not have had radios to start with but they did get them, what the Russians needed at the time was tanks and more tanks and they churned them out fast and furious. There again the Sherman had a habit of brewing up every time it had the slightest hit yet nothing was done about that for years.