Votes: 0 0.0%
  • T80U-Russia

• Merkava(Chariot) MK4-Israel

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now i got some information on the Swedish trail carried out to test 4 modern MBTs: Leclerec, Challanger 2 (was canceled before the trails) Leopard 2I and M1A2. And now i see how they ware convinced that the one that one this trail would be the best tank to buy. There ware 151 different tests carried out.

They shot all the tanks with armor pearcing rounds in all zones, mesuering of IR signature under snow conditions and bare ground conditions, mesuring of radarsignature, messureing of accurecy of IRV sights, messuering of the noice level of the engine, vibration tests, the ability to withstand extreem cold tempretured aswell as high tempretures, ABC systems and more to determein the overall thoughest tank of those four (minus challenger 2).

The leopard 2I was chosen much becuase of its engine and armor and the technology. Its has been modifed by Bofors and Hägglunds to the Leopard 2(S) which currently is the most advanced in protection and firecontrol of the Leopard family.

It was indeed some quite interesting information, note that the M1A2 did stand up for the tests, but some minor things made it not to be chosen as the future Swedish tank. One has been privious failure by USA to deliver army vecs' because of ongoing conflicts around the world aswell as the failure of the engine in the tests in north Sweden, that was designed to determen the ability to withstand extreem cold tempretures.

Vickers Defence Systems was not able to supply a Challenger 2 because of ongoing trails in the UK and was there for forced to say no to this trail.

T-90S MAIN BATTLE TANK, RUSSIA
The T-90S is the latest development in the T-series of Russian tanks and represents an increase in firepower, mobility and protection. It is manufactured by Nizhnyi Tagil of the Russian Federation.

The T-90S is in service with the Russian Army and the Indian Army. In February 2001, the Indian Army signed a contract for 310 T-90S tanks. 124 were completed in Russia and the rest are being delivered in "knocked down/semi-knocked down" form for final assembly in India. The first of these was delivered in January 2004. The locally-assembled tanks are christened "Bhishma".

ARMAMENT

The T-90S armament includes one 125mm 2A46M smoothbore gun, stabilised in two axes and fitted with a thermal sleeve. The gun tube can be replaced without dismantling inside the turret. The gun can fire a variety of ammunition including APDS (Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot), HEAT (High Explosive Anti-Tank), HE-FRAG (High Explosive Fragmentation) as well as shrapnel projectiles with time fuzes.

The T-90S gun can also fire the 9M119 Refleks (NATO designation AT-11 Sniper) anti-tank guided missile system. The range of the missile is 100m to 4,000m and takes 11.7 sec to reach maximum range. The system is intended to engage tanks fitted with ERA (Explosive Reactive Armour) as well as low-flying air targets such as helicopters, at a range of up to 5km. The missile system fires either the 9M119 or 9M119M missiles which have semi-automatic laser beamriding guidance and a hollow charge warhead. Missile weight is 23.4kg. The guns automatic loader will feed both ordnance and missiles.

Also fitted is a coaxial 7.62mm PKT machine gun and a 12.7mm air defence machine gun. A 5.45mm AKS-74 assault rifle is carried on a storage rack.

SELF-PROTECTION

The T-90 tank is protected by both conventional armour-plating and explosive reactive armour (ERA).

The T-90 is fitted with the Shtora-1 defensive aids suite which is produced by Electronintorg of Russia. This system includes infrared jammer, laser warning system with four laser warning receivers, grenade discharging system which produces an aerosol screen and a computerised control system.

It is also fitted with NBC (nuclear, biological and chemical) protection equipment.

FIRE CONTROL AND OBSERVATION

The T-90S has the 1A4GT integrated fire control system (IFCS) which is automatic but with manual override for the commander. The IFCS contains the gunner's 1A43 day fire control system, gunner's TO1-KO1 thermal imaging sight which has a target identification range of 1.2km to 1.5km and commander's PNK-S sight.

The gunner's 1A43 day FCS comprises: 1G46 day sight/rangefinder with missile guidance channel, 2E42-4 armament stabiliser, 1V528 ballistic computer and DVE-BS wind gauge.

The commander's PNK-4S sight includes a TKN-4S (Agat-S) day/night sight which has identification ranges of 800m (day) and 700m (night).

The driver is equipped with a TVN-5 infrared night viewer.

PROPULSION

The T-90S has a liquid-cooled V-84MS 618kW (840 hp) four-stroke V-12 piston engine. This engine can be fuelled by T-2 or TS-1 kerosene and A-72 benzine, in addition to diesel. The tank can carry up to 1,600 litres of fuel in the main fuel tanks and fuel drums. The fuel tanks are reinforced with armour plating.

The tank is provided with a snorkel for deep fording and can ford 5m of water with equipment which can be deployed in 20 minutes.

The mechanical transmission includes primary reduction gear, two planetary final gearboxes and two planetary final drives. The running gear features torsion bar suspension with hydraulic shock absorbers at one, two and six road wheel stations and tracks with rubber-metallic pin hinges.

accrding to http://www.army-technology.com/projects/t90/

AlexKall said:
Now i got some information on the Swedish trail carried out to test 4 modern MBTs: Leclerec, Challanger 2 (was canceled before the trails) Leopard 2I and M1A2. And now i see how they ware convinced that the one that one this trail would be the best tank to buy. There ware 151 different tests carried out.

They shot all the tanks with armor pearcing rounds in all zones, mesuering of IR signature under snow conditions and bare ground conditions, mesuring of radarsignature, messureing of accurecy of IRV sights, messuering of the noice level of the engine, vibration tests, the ability to withstand extreem cold tempretured aswell as high tempretures, ABC systems and more to determein the overall thoughest tank of those four (minus challenger 2).

The leopard 2I was chosen much becuase of its engine and armor and the technology. Its has been modifed by Bofors and Hägglunds to the Leopard 2(S) which currently is the most advanced in protection and firecontrol of the Leopard family.

It was indeed some quite interesting information, note that the M1A2 did stand up for the tests, but some minor things made it not to be chosen as the future Swedish tank. One has been privious failure by USA to deliver army vecs' because of ongoing conflicts around the world aswell as the failure of the engine in the tests in north Sweden, that was designed to determen the ability to withstand extreem cold tempretures.

Vickers Defence Systems was not able to supply a Challenger 2 because of ongoing trails in the UK and was there for forced to say no to this trail.

Do you have a link to any of this info? If what you are saying is correct maybe that's a part answer to this question right there.

BTW, why would anyone believe that the Soviet T90 is the best tank in the world? They haven't had a class leading tank since the T34/85 back in WW2. They are no longer a superpower and don't have the budgets of the western nations to pour into research, testing, technology and so forth. I do believe the T90 is a good tank however, just not in the same league as say the Abhrams, Challenger 2 or Leopard 2.

The information is in swedish unfortently :(

"The leopard 2I was chosen much becuase of its engine and armor and the technology. Its has been modifed by Bofors and Hägglunds to the Leopard 2(S) which currently is the most advanced in protection and firecontrol of the Leopard family.

It was indeed some quite interesting information, note that the M1A2 did stand up for the tests, but some minor things made it not to be chosen as the future Swedish tank. One has been privious failure by USA to deliver army vecs' because of ongoing conflicts around the world aswell as the failure of the engine in the tests in north Sweden, that was designed to determen the ability to withstand extreem cold tempretures."

I was told that by my brother.

I can supply the swedish document and maybe redleg can read it ;)

The T-90 has inferior everything to western tanks. I really do like it's APS though, we should add something like it to the Abrams.

Yeesh, a little late, But I thought I'd throw in my two cents. Really, the modern tanks of the world are almost equal overall, with slight differences, but what it comes down to is training. I don't know how well other countries are trained, so i cannot make a comparison on that, but in my humble opinion, the M1A2 is the best, but that's becuase I'm biased, being an American and all. (And I lvoe the Abrams) Although, the Merkava is one beautiful piece of machinery, it almost looks better than an Abrams, but again, I'm biased.

Erm... I had a point here somewhere... oh yeah, training is probably the deciding factor. The tanks are all similar enough that it really comes down to how well they're used.

Yes, training is probably the most decisive factors between the tanks. If the Americans had T-72s and the Iraqis had M1s, the US probably still would have won the war, albeit with more casualties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back