Best tank in the world. - Page 6

View Poll Results :What is the best tank in the world?
M1A2 Abrams-USA 4 66.67%
Challenger 2-UK 0 0%
Leopard 2A5-Germany 0 0%
Leclerc-France 0 0%
T80U-Russia 1 16.67%
Merkava(Chariot) MK4-Israel 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

--

April 22nd, 2004  
JEA

Topic: Best Tank

I found this website by accident, and am highly ammused. I'm currently serving as a British Army officer, and can tell you don't have any idea of British equipment. I know for a fact, from experience, that the Challenger 2 is the best tank. It has a new aplique armour system which allowed it to easily outshine the M1A2 Abrams in Iraq. The Chalanger 2's gun is also more leathal (although the american fire controls system is by far better).
One bogged down Chalanger easily survived more than 7 RPG hits. This was while the recovery crews were working round it, jumping in to their recovery vehicle on the shout of incoming. I'm affraid I can't go in to any detail about it, apart from the fact we have it, as in Iraq it was HIGHLY secret (it was fitted in theatre behind massive screens).
The Challanger 2 has also undergone a moddifying process that made it more reliable than the M1A2 Abrams, but again I'm not at liberty to divulge figures.
I am aware though that America is developing the "Future Combat System" which will develop a vehicl to replace the M1A2 Abrams and the Bradley with a combat weight of just 20 tonnes!
April 22nd, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

I don't believe you. Give me proof of your status in the British army.
April 22nd, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: OK

Firstly, easy Kozzy-Mozzy. Now, 7 RPG shots are not a big deal...the RPG should not hurt the tank with or with out added armour. Now JEA, while you know about this secert features of the challenger, you dont know the ones in the Merkava Mk 4, Abarams M1A2, or Leo 2A6, so, really, they dont mean much, lets compare things we are clear about, and can reveal in full detail(as in, not "top-secret).
--
April 22nd, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

The Challenger definitly has better all around armor then the M1A2, but it's C3, fire control, and engine are a bit lacking.
April 23rd, 2004  
JEA

I'm not saying what I know is "top secret", but at the time it was restricted to a large degree, and it's not my place to decide what I can say or can't say.
You are right that I don't know the Merkava Mk 4 or Leo 2A6 in detail (I do know them to a limited extent though) but I do know about the Abarams M1A2 as I've worked fairly close to it.
Regardless of how much you say RPG7's (the current version the Iraqies are using) are crap, they can still do a hell of a lot of damage to MBT's, especially around the track or turret joint area, also note that I said MORE THAN 7 RPG's. This is a quote I heard from the DEME(A), head of the REME Corps, while I was sat next to him (hosting him) at a mess dinner function. This was supported by an article in "The Craftsman" which is the official REME magazine.
As for proving my position in the British Army, I don't know how to. I'm not prepared to give my rank or number as I'm not sure what the army will think of me posting on this site (they are really funny about us talking to the press and such). I'm couldn't care less if you belive me or not, I thought I'd provide you with facts on British equipment as you don't seem to know a lot, and I'm sorry that I can't back it up with figures but I could lose my job and that means a lot more to me than proving who has "the best" tank.
April 23rd, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

Wasn't there a Challenger that took more then 70 RPG hits?
April 23rd, 2004  
Pollux

rofl

heresome infos about the A5 A6
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/leopard/
April 23rd, 2004  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollux
rofl

heresome infos about the A5 A6
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/leopard/
And STRV 122 although only 2 pictures of it without any information besides the little information under the picture with the snow cammoed tank
April 24th, 2004  
Redleg

Here's some more info about the Strv122
http://www.haaland.info/sweden/tank/index.html
April 24th, 2004  
AlexKall

Its a buty, got a big planch of it in the house, supplied to me by Krauss Maffei Wehrtechnik