Best tank in the world. - Page 3

View Poll Results :What is the best tank in the world?
M1A2 Abrams-USA 4 66.67%
Challenger 2-UK 0 0%
Leopard 2A5-Germany 0 0%
Leclerc-France 0 0%
T80U-Russia 1 16.67%
Merkava(Chariot) MK4-Israel 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

--

February 2nd, 2004  
DK

Quote:
Defence Systems Daily: Germany's Leopard 2 remains the world's best tank

The Pentagon's gas turbine-powered M1 Abrams may be the first tank that comes to the minds of most Americans, but overall, Germany's Leopard 2 is the world's best. In a new analysis of the world tank market, Forecast International/ DMS finds that, based on an overall comparison in terms of lethality, fightability, mobility and survivability, the Leopard 2A6EX comes out on top. The annual tank analysis and ranking, the only one of its type available from open sources, is a product of Forecast International's Weapon Group.
taken from http://www.rheinmetall-detec.de/inde...lang=3&fid=810

i hope that helps you lot.
February 2nd, 2004  
Redleg

Hi DK, and welcome to the forum.

Interesting info!
but it's a bit old... (2001)
February 3rd, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Is that before the upgrades to the M1A2?
--
February 3rd, 2004  
Redneck

Has the Leopard 2 been battletested?
February 3rd, 2004  
solomonwanca

Topic: My Vote

M1A2 Abrams-USA
February 3rd, 2004  
DK

Quote:
Hi DK, and welcome to the forum.
thank you very much. looks like an interesting place.

Quote:
Interesting info!
but it's a bit old... (2001)
pls correct me if im wrong, but afaik the study compared all the latest versions (m1A2, leopard 2A6, merkava mark III baz etc.)

Quote:
Has the Leopard 2 been battletested?
not in combat against modern main battle tanks. it has been on duty in ex-yugoslavia and it has seen fighting there, but the incidents i know of only included enemy guerillas carrying AKs. even a world war 2 sherman would have survived those.

however, considering the fact that the leopard carries the same gun as the m1a1 and a2 and a very comparable armor i think it would be fair to assume that the leopard would have had a similar k/d ratio as the abrams against the outdated iraqi t-72 export version tanks.

another very important fact is that the leopard is a very successful export model. turkey was the laztest nato country to choose the leopard over the abrams, ashave switzerland, sweden, holland, spain etc.

i really advise you to read the entire article i posted, because it also features the japanese tank, which has so far not been mentioned in this discussion. (maybe due to the fact that very few patriotic japanese people post on western discussion boards. )
February 3rd, 2004  
Redneck

Oh, I wasn't trying to knock your tank on the battle-testing, I was just curious. But that being said, if everything is so similar to the Abrams, what sets the Leopard apart as being better? (Sorry, I tried to read the article you postied, but was unable to navigate my way around, they need to make that website more idiot friendly .)
Actually, here in the States we're getting ready to phase out the Abrams, in ten years there will be no more in the Army (the number is purely hearsay, but it is pretty common knowledge across the Army that the Abrams is on its way out). Supposed to be some new medium airdrop capable tank coming out to replace it.
February 3rd, 2004  
GuyontheRight

What gets the btter gas mileage, i hear the Abrams gets about 2/12 MPH.
February 4th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

I read combat average is 3 gallons to the mile. (No, not miles to the gallon).
February 4th, 2004  
DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheRight
What gets the btter gas mileage, i hear the Abrams gets about 2/12 MPH.

abrams = gas turbine

leopard + all other main battle tanks = diesel engines

the m1a2's engine is supposed to have a lot less fuel consumption than the a1's, however, its still bloody doodoo compared to the diesels of the other tanks.