• T80U-Russia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Merkava(Chariot) MK4-Israel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Defence Systems Daily: Germany's Leopard 2 remains the world's best tank

The Pentagon's gas turbine-powered M1 Abrams may be the first tank that comes to the minds of most Americans, but overall, Germany's Leopard 2 is the world's best. In a new analysis of the world tank market, Forecast International/ DMS finds that, based on an overall comparison in terms of lethality, fightability, mobility and survivability, the Leopard 2A6EX comes out on top. The annual tank analysis and ranking, the only one of its type available from open sources, is a product of Forecast International's Weapon Group.

taken from http://www.rheinmetall-detec.de/index.php?lang=3&fid=810

i hope that helps you lot.

Hi DK, and welcome to the forum.

Interesting info!
but it's a bit old... (2001)

Hi DK, and welcome to the forum.

thank you very much. looks like an interesting place.

Interesting info!
but it's a bit old... (2001)

pls correct me if im wrong, but afaik the study compared all the latest versions (m1A2, leopard 2A6, merkava mark III baz etc.)

Has the Leopard 2 been battletested?

not in combat against modern main battle tanks. it has been on duty in ex-yugoslavia and it has seen fighting there, but the incidents i know of only included enemy guerillas carrying AKs. even a world war 2 sherman would have survived those.

however, considering the fact that the leopard carries the same gun as the m1a1 and a2 and a very comparable armor i think it would be fair to assume that the leopard would have had a similar k/d ratio as the abrams against the outdated iraqi t-72 export version tanks.

another very important fact is that the leopard is a very successful export model. turkey was the laztest nato country to choose the leopard over the abrams, ashave switzerland, sweden, holland, spain etc.

i really advise you to read the entire article i posted, because it also features the japanese tank, which has so far not been mentioned in this discussion. (maybe due to the fact that very few patriotic japanese people post on western discussion boards. :D)

Oh, I wasn't trying to knock your tank on the battle-testing, I was just curious. But that being said, if everything is so similar to the Abrams, what sets the Leopard apart as being better? (Sorry, I tried to read the article you postied, but was unable to navigate my way around, they need to make that website more idiot friendly :lol: .)
Actually, here in the States we're getting ready to phase out the Abrams, in ten years there will be no more in the Army (the number is purely hearsay, but it is pretty common knowledge across the Army that the Abrams is on its way out). Supposed to be some new medium airdrop capable tank coming out to replace it.

GuyontheRight said:
What gets the btter gas mileage, i hear the Abrams gets about 2/12 MPH.

abrams = gas turbine

leopard + all other main battle tanks = diesel engines

the m1a2's engine is supposed to have a lot less fuel consumption than the a1's, however, its still bloody doodoo compared to the diesels of the other tanks.

to DK

Intresting. I think the Leopard was the best around 2001. But, the Merkava Mk 4 wasent around, and i must say its very impresive(obviosly im my opinion is effected by me being israeli,but still). The Mk4 has a new turret, engine, fire controll. It is the newest western tank....By what my step dad says(he served about 25 years in the armored core), the gaps are small and each small modifcation changes everything

Merkava - It must be the best tank in the world...

It's definitely the Merkava MK4, and I say that while seeing most of the others in action and being inside both the MK4 and the M1A2.

Depends what you want
The chalenger 2 is the best armourd, and its gun is probably slitely more acuret than the other tanks, but its slooow (i think one went threw basra, got hit 7 times by RPGs, went over an antitank mine, and only cracked a track)
The leopard 2 has a great gun, has speed, buts its armour is not the best
The leclerc is very fast, only requires 3 crewmen, but again, its armour is not very good
The abrams is a good all rounder (what it lacks in certain areas can be made up for by americas ability to field so many of them at one time)
I dotn no much about israili or russian tanks

I wouldent say

I cant say anything about the Leclerc thats good. I heard it has worse armour then the others. I know it has the Autoloader which i heard to be unreliable.

The Leopard 2 IS takes about 14 liters/mile.
Theres a slight problem there though, a Swedish mile is 10 KM instead of 1.602 (one point six zero two not 1 thousand etc, dont know if its seperated by a .) wich is a american mile. and i dont know how much a gallon is.

IS stands for Improved Sweden. It has got better electronics and armour then that of the german Leopard 2.
I got the figures from my brother who works with these STRV 122 (Swedish name for the Leopard 2 IS)

Sorry for my grammar. I have dyslexia which unfortently dosnt help.

hey dudes, u people are really brainwashed with propaganda. If u read enough info on the net and researched tanks maybe u would come to a conclution that the T-80 is a superiour tank to the M1A2 and to the rest. The Leopard isn't bad but T-80 kills it. And if u doubt it go to hell cause i've been researching this stuff for the past couple of years and i've anylized all the tanks fully.

Soviet said:
hey dudes, u people are really brainwashed with propaganda. If u read enough info on the net and researched tanks maybe u would come to a conclution that the T-80 is a superiour tank to the M1A2 and to the rest. The Leopard isn't bad but T-80 kills it. And if u doubt it go to hell cause i've been researching this stuff for the past couple of years and i've anylized all the tanks fully.

Calm down a bit!
You are free to mean (almost) whatever you will, but keep comments like that away from the forum!!

come on

The best tank in the world is pretty much a tie up with the Strv-122 and the M1A2SEP. The T-80 and 90 would get rocked in a battle.

well

hey dudes, u people are really brainwashed with propaganda. If u read enough info on the net and researched tanks maybe u would come to a conclution that the T-80 is a superiour tank to the M1A2 and to the rest. The Leopard isn't bad but T-80 kills it. And if u doubt it go to hell cause i've been researching this stuff for the past couple of years and i've anylized all the tanks fully

Firstly, thanks for the invetation. ;)

Now, Soviet, the problem is that so far, soviet made tanks lost to western designs every time. The Autoloaders are POSs, and crew comfort sucks. The russian tanks so far(i dont know about the T80) also have a limited capability to fire from ramps, due to the low turrets that allow very little dgrees of lowering the gun).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back