• JAS 39 Gripen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JSF

• Other

• Total voters
AlexKall said:
Arnt these planes rether different in their purpouse? (That is actually a question, not a statement ;))

Kind of.

The JSF will be a multi role highly versitile platform where although most components will be interchangable the A, B and C modles will allow for the AF, Navy and Marine Corps to have highly capable systems that meet their requirements. The AF version will be tailored more to air combat and ground support. The Navy will have a more capable STOL aircraft designed for its mission and the Marines will replace their AV8B with a more capable VSTOL aircraft. Yet all share major components and technician training, parts standardization and so on will all be more common and easier. The JSF will be the replacement for the F16 more or less while the F22 replaces the F15. The F22 though designated a FA-22 now is in no way an air to ground system. It just like it's predecessor (F-15) is designed to rule the sky. It will be the system that is MOST capable in the most demanding mission on an airframe, air combat.

Yet just as today their is overlap. F-16s are used for air to air and although the F15 has a stronger radar and is a better performer, the 16 takes much of this mission since the F15 is to expensive to mass produce and maintain in those numbers required. The F16 is a budget fighter. The situation will be similar with the JSF and the F22.

Although many of them have several different purposes, (air-ground, air-surface, etc...) they are primarily fighters. I was thinking about speed, maneuverability, armament, radar, etc... to determine the best.

Well the JAS 39 is in a different category to the other planes as its only a single engine and smaller. Its more comparable to the F-16, out of the others i would say that its between the EFA2000 and F-22 with the rafale being better than either if you want a naval fighter

Six said:
Although many of them have several different purposes, (air-ground, air-surface, etc...) they are primarily fighters. I was thinking about speed, maneuverability, armament, radar, etc... to determine the best.
The best at what? Combat aircraft are specialized by their very nature. I'm assuming you mean "Best air superiority combat aircraft", is that correct? So all other things not being factored in, the F22 would probably be the best. JSF is more versatile, but it depends on what your asking of course.

SAINT said:
F-15... always modern. Nothing can beat even in the future. 8)

I would agree with you there, Mach 2.5 is pretty good, right up until the JSF came into place. That thing owns.

I think the "F-23" was the opponent to the F-22 in the competition that decided which was purchased by the US. Obviously the F22 beat the F23, so the F22 is better.

c/LtCdr said:
I think the "F-23" was the opponent to the F-22 in the competition that decided which was purchased by the US. Obviously the F22 beat the F23, so the F22 is better.
was a purely political choice.
was only because the US wanted the cheaper one and the US wanted a dog fighter no other reason.

Sorry, I have been away for a few days and couldn't answer questions. Yes, I meant the best air superiority combat aircraft. Basically, is there one fighter that would have the best chances of beating any of the others. One of the reasons the YF-22 was chosen instead of the -23 was the -22 has thrust vectored engines. But yes, cost (and therefore politics) was another issue.

still it was stupid, thrust vectoring does you no good if you cant see the enemy or catch it or have the range to catch it.

I'm old fashioned.. I still think the F-4J Phantom II forever modern.

The hippy fashion of the 60s.. Phantom II 8)

Back