• JAS 39 Gripen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JSF

• Other

• Total voters
devilwasp said:
still it was stupid, thrust vectoring does you no good if you cant see the enemy or catch it or have the range to catch it.

Radar on the 22 is the best in the world for its class. F22 can cruise at Mach 1.5, and tops out at about Mach 2. It can catch anything except a MiG-25. And all US fighters have unlimited range. Plus, the 23 was a HUGE aircraft. Makes a big target in a dogfight.

Radar on the 22 is the best in the world for its class. F22 can cruise at Mach 1.5, and tops out at about Mach 2. It can catch anything except a MiG-25. And all US fighters have unlimited range. Plus, the 23 was a HUGE aircraft. Makes a big target in a dogfight.
yeah and the F23 would have had a better radar.
yeah and the YF23 topped out at mach 2 but its cruise speed was mach 1.8
also the YF 23 was far more stealthier than the F22.
also there is no dogfighting anymore its first shot wins, and with the YF23 with a greater range and speed and stealth it could have swept the battle field clean.

Shadowalker said:
devilwasp you work for the manufacturer of the Y23?
nope just love the plane, done a wee bit of research on it and found some interesting things.
a mate of mine also said there was a hybrid of the F22 and the YF23 supposed to look nice.
i also found a sorta hybrid of the YF23/SR71 and the F15 and the mig 27 is really weird but looks nice.

devilwasp said:
i also found a sorta hybrid of the YF23/SR71 and the F15 and the mig 27 is really weird but looks nice.
thats quite a mix! as for best modern fighter in use i would say F22.

c/LtCdr said:
:lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol: Right. Get a clue, please. If there's no dogfighting then why is the Navy FWS still around?
its around cause up till now there has been dogfighting and now with this F22 radar of 200 miles and with the ability to fire the missile at 150 miles away i dont think there will be much use for dogfighting.
also name me one dog fight that has happened in the last 10 years?
i know they happend in the falklands and some in GW1 but still there has been no dogfight for atleast a decade.

Animal Mother said:
As i can recall there where plenty during the Iran-Iraq war at least. It was plenty of both BVR and WVR fighting.
yeah you got that right there.
but in realitly there is no real need for a western country that has a plane like the F22 to have a dog fighting team but it would be wise to keep it.
the F22 will stop all dogfightings beacuse of its radar and misile range.
by the time you enter missile range your dead.
untill a comparable aircraft to the F22 is produced then i must say it owns the sky.
(until the YF23 us built :D that is)

I disagree Devilwasp. The further stealth technologies progress, depending on how good it gets, powerful radar isn't going to help you too much. If we're looking at a future where all combatants have highly stealth capable fighter aircraft, the rules of the game shift drastically. Stealth technology may bring things back to even more dog-fighting and a lot less kills from long range.

godofthunder9010 said:
I disagree Devilwasp. The further stealth technologies progress, depending on how good it gets, powerful radar isn't going to help you too much. If we're looking at a future where all combatants have highly stealth capable fighter aircraft, the rules of the game shift drastically. Stealth technology may bring things back to even more dog-fighting and a lot less kills from long range.
yeah but what countires have stealth? what countries have the tech to do this and will do it in the future?
not many is the answer.
powerful radar will help if its on low wavelength.
and if there is AWACS support for the F22 or what ever comes next then even stealth planes will be dead.

Back