Best military training in history

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd have to define a period to narrow it down a bit??
I mean Sparta and Rome had excellent training but put them up against a modern army....... you get the picture.

Indeed there is no one perfect answer.

But I didnt mean whos going to win on one vs one.

I basically meant who recieved the toughets and hardest training.

take the Spartans at their peak for example. Those boys went through hell. See the discipline of the Roman legion.

Basically, talk about the best military training, as well as who were better in tactics etc...

we should enjoy it really

The harsh environment, constant intertribal warfare and the blending of horsemanship, survival skills and archery made the Mongols (probably) the most terrifying force ever seen in human history. It can be noted that because they grew up with war and struggle for survival as a constant everyday things, this qualifies as the best possible training system. It cannot be intentionally implemented. There is a lot of evidence in favor of this throughout human history. It was always the nomadic tribes of Central Asia that overthrew the greatest of empires and cultures.

As far as intentional training, the Romans probably proved theirs to be vastly superior on the battlefield better than any other.

well true to the mongols. They were quite fascinating really.

And also about the Romans.

I believe the Romans were better in terms of military, overall that is.
Due to their more 'modernized' ways and methods that were put to use in their military force.

I think that would be Spata's military. They begin to train kid at 4 or 5 years old until 20 years old.

Mongols ahd the numbers, and the bows with a longer range.
training, well they started to ride before they could walk. So the storys go.. Hmmm.....
Romans defeated them at Cholon. Very bloody battle, but discipline and superior tactics helped a great deal.
More modern times the Peninsular army of Great Britain was pretty good. They beat the French.

The Agoge of Sparta. Boys started at 7, left at 30, but were on call till they died. Demanded Physical perfection, a strict, moral and religious life and obedience to the rhetra (the constituion) above all.

The only reason Sparta failed to keep this up, was it's standards were so high, they just didn't have the numbers. Plenty of Perioikoi and Helots to command though.

Warwick said:
Mongols had the numbers, and the bows with a longer range.
training, well they started to ride before they could walk. So the storys go.. Hmmm.....
Excellent post. Wanted to make you aware that you're possibly buying into one of the greatest myths about the Mongols: that they had overwhelming numbers. The interesting fact is that they were almost always outnumbered. It was for that very reason that they intentionally pushed/encouraged the rumor about "countless hoards of Mongols" etc. I think that the Mongol warrior is the perfect example of how toughness infused by a harsh environment and a harsh culture makes a perfect warrior. The Huns before them proved the same, but unfortunately we know very little about them. The Mongols we know a great deal about (often requiring a bit of research to separate myth from fact of course.)

The greatest thing about the Roman Legionaire was that he was probably comparable to most any soldier of any are for his prowess in battle, but much more important than that, he learned to blend his skills almost perfectly with his fellow Legionaires. Sure they had a technological edge over their enemies, but the greatest secret of their success was how coordinated and disciplined their Legions were. I think that the Spartan warrior was probably tougher individually, but not as thoroughly trained to function as a coordinated unit in battle as the Legionaire. They're both excellent examples.

It's also important to distinguish between regular and elite/bodyguard troops - obviously the latter are likely to have more intense training than normal troops.

Ignoring the fact that elite/bodyguard troops are 'by definition' more highly trained I'd say there's no simple way of determining who had the best regular training. Do you call skills like riding a horse that may be fundamental to your way of life military training if you happen to be part of a warlike people? IMO no. We have to examine training that is done only with a military purpose in mind. Also, does experience in the field count or just training systems in place?

Quite frankly I'm distrustful of much of ancient military history - the reporting systems in place were often word of mouth and it was been proven that much of it is simply exaggerated. In any case I think this question is impossible to answer but possible candidates for best regular army training might be:

- Japanese feudal Samurai
- Spartan Warriors
- Roman Legionnaires, especially post Gaius Marius reforms
- German Wehrmacht 1936-42

Frankly, I just don't have the knowledge to give a satisfactory answer to this question.

Last edited:
True that the question has no EXACT answer, but surely it isnt that big of a problem.

I do agree about the Romans. They were more advanced than their enemies. Used better tactics, and we all have to agree on their discipline.
They were trained to work together and divided the units and created centurions to keep the discipline and morale. They created formations such as the testudo formation or the turtle formation as well. They are an example of any modern military, as they have influenced both, Napoleon and Hitler.

The mongols to have to be mentioned, as they were the first to creat the stirrups if I am not mistaken. But the mongols aslo had more numbers as well as horses. Each man had approx 3 horses. They also used good tactics, but to me, they were more of barbarians. They killed and ravaged eveything. Here, the honor comes into play.
What is a good soldier without honor and dignity?

Here, we can mention the Japanese samurai, as they followed the code of bushido, or the way of the warrior. Fascinating warriors if you ask me. Prefered suicide over shame and loss of honor. A really complicated and complex way they got. Lived by following that code as well as grew up being a warrior. To them, honor and tradition was everything, some of them prefered the sword and bow over the European Arquebus and Musket, why? cause it was the weapon of their ancestors and true wep of a samurai.

So, it might differ from one place to another, each had thei own unique abilities.

godofthunder9010 said:
The harsh environment, constant intertribal warfare and the blending of horsemanship, survival skills and archery made the Mongols (probably) the most terrifying force ever seen in human history. It can be noted that because they grew up with war and struggle for survival as a constant everyday things, this qualifies as the best possible training system. It cannot be intentionally implemented. There is a lot of evidence in favor of this throughout human history. It was always the nomadic tribes of Central Asia that overthrew the greatest of empires and cultures.

As far as intentional training, the Romans probably proved theirs to be vastly superior on the battlefield better than any other.

ye but the romans generally defeated using superior numbers. their army was unlimited, pretty much:camo: :rockin: :9mm: :biggun: <- summat like tht!

The romans used better tactics and were more modernized in ideology and ways, but I bebieve i already mentioned that :)

anyways, u could for sure not underestimate the Spartans. Ont thing is, the Spartans didnt think of conquering such as the romans or mongols.
And their numbers where less.

They also created good formations such as the phalanx.

The Japanese Samurai's were very well trained in martial arts, Iaido (swordsmanship), riding horses,tactics and many other things that i just dont feel like typing.

lol, yeah. also Juijitsu and stuff.. archery..

Thats why, from the fist day of their lifes, the comit their lifes to be a samurai, he does not learn this in one day or have to go to classes, well sometimes he does, but he learns most of it during the course of his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back