Best Mil college other than the academies?

Jedo

Well I know for sure I wont be accepted into the academies.

If you had to choose one, where would you go?

I heard best one is Virginia Mil Institute... but im not sure..

What makes you think you won't get accepted to an Academy? From your profile it shows you're only 14. I can't imagine anything that can't be overcome before you are eligible to attend.

If you are not going to go to one of the service academies (thought I agree with Insight that you shouldn't give up, if that is a goal) you should consider your other life goals and how these other military academies will fit in to it.

I am very familiar with VMI and pretty familiar with the Citadel. Both are fine schools, but they do not have excellent academic reputations (VMI is better than the Citadel). If you think you might want to go to graduate school one day, for example, you might consider better academic schools with ROTC programs. At least make sure that the mil. academies in question have the course of study that interests you.

OTOH, both these schools have fine traditions and rabid alumni. They tend to help their own and your network for future non-military careers will be outstanding.

New Mexico Military Institute. This is a 2 year military Jr. College. You can get your commission after two years and enjoy the rest of your college experience without the hassle of having to worry about ROTC.

Jedo said:
Well I know for sure I wont be accepted into the academies.

If you had to choose one, where would you go?

I heard best one is Virginia Mil Institute... but im not sure..

IMO, I'd look for one that offers a great education yet has a high pertcentage of female students. I'd stay clear of a school that doesn't allow females. It's good to think about one's career, it's better if one thinks of that and lives a little in the mean time... after all: all work and no play makes jack a dull boy.

DISCLAIMER: FOR ANYONE READING, OR VIEWING ANY PART OF THIS POST
This post is not meant to cause any violation of rules, regulations, and certianly not general ill will with any persons religion, social or economical enviroment. Nor is it to cause any antagonistic, warlike, or belligerent flame like responce. It is my personal opinion and my excercising the right of free speech that many have fought and died for in order that I might be able to expound, express, and in short, give my opinion throught my given viewpoint.

I think the academies offer the best academic and military education in one package. Plus the price is right.

Last edited:
Team Infidel said:
New Mexico Military Institute. This is a 2 year military Jr. College.
You can also add Valley Forge Military Academy to that list.

Team Infidel said:
You can get your commission after two years and enjoy the rest of your college experience without the hassle of having to worry about ROTC.
You might want to double-check that -- I was always under the impression you had to finish out college w/ ROTC or go through one of the service academies to get your commission.

EDIT: so I looked on NMMI's site -- it's confusing. They say you get your commission after two years, but all the ROTC scholarships I looked at on their site said you had to have a bachelor's degree, and I don't think a junior college can issue a bachelor's degree. So your best bet is to email the ROTC contacts at those respective schools and get the straight deal from them.

Last edited:
http://apps.collegeboard.com/search/CollegeDetail.jsp?match=true&collegeId=566&type=qfs&word=VMI

wow VMI seems hard to get into.. well anything is hard for my situation..

well... what are my chances? :s I really wanna go to VMI..
2.3 GPA freshmen (I was really new and got a 1.5 first semester.. also got suspended for a fight.. someone punched me and i punched him back.. it was dumb..)
3.1 GPA sophmore
getting 3.3 junior year as of now.. lol 3A 2B and a C.. 1st semester ending in 2 weeks..
can speak korean as good as english...
my SAT.. ugh i got 1600/2400.. lol strong math weak english.. my goal is 1900 by summer.. lol I should study instead of watching war movies..
3 years in AFJROTC.. will that help? also.. an officer of a social dance club..
I dont mind which branch I go into .. they all seem fun and exciting!
Also I am Korean... which is a big downgrade.. =/ I dont believe in race.. we just have different amount of pigment.. heh well asians are 3.79% of the US population..
My family is not rich.. single parent.. hope I get some scholorship.. heard ROTC pays most of it.. so thats good..
I kinda regret not studying hard.. if I had a 3.9 id try the academies.. heh
  • 56% In-state students
  • 44% Out-of-state students (im in cali)
  • 11% Women
  • 89% Men (go men!)
  • 1% American Indian/Alaskan Native
  • 3% Asian/Pacific Islander (... 3%)
  • 7% Black/Non-Hispanic
  • 5% Hispanic
  • 83% White/Non-Hispanic
  • 1% Non-Resident Alien
  • 12% in top 10th of graduating class
  • 44% in top quarter of graduating class
  • 85% in top half of graduating class
  • 16% had h.s. GPA of 3.75 and higher
  • 19% had h.s. GPA between 3.5 and 3.74
  • 20% had h.s. GPA between 3.25 and 3.49
  • 24% had h.s. GPA between 3.0 and 3.24
  • 19% had h.s. GPA between 2.5 and 2.99
  • 2% had h.s. GPA between 2.0 and 2.49
Size

• Degree-seeking undergrads: 1,369
  • First-time degree-seeking freshmen: 363
wow school is pretty small.. 363 people.. so around 726 people applied.. chose 50%

If you keep working your GPA will be up enough for VMI. Plus, showing progress over high school is very helpful.

Being Korean will probably help if they only have 3% asians.

Apparently, the SAT has changed its scale, since 1600 was a perfect score when I took it.

Also VMI has not been coed for that long. I expect the % women to go up every year. If you like the idea of VMI, go ahead and apply. Lexington is a beautiful place. There are plenty of girls schools nearby for social occasions (althought the mailman suits the VeeMees wear make them somewhat less competitive in that area than W&L, Hampden Sydney or UVa).

I would contact your local congress person's office about appointments to the service academies. Also, find out who you know who may know someone who knows you representative (city council members, etc.).

msgtmedleyusmc said:
If you keep working your GPA will be up enough for VMI. Plus, showing progress over high school is very helpful.

Being Korean will probably help if they only have 3% asians.

Apparently, the SAT has changed its scale, since 1600 was a perfect score when I took it.

Also VMI has not been coed for that long. I expect the % women to go up every year. If you like the idea of VMI, go ahead and apply. Lexington is a beautiful place. There are plenty of girls schools nearby for social occasions (althought the mailman suits the VeeMees wear make them somewhat less competitive in that area than W&L, Hampden Sydney or UVa).

I would contact your local congress person's office about appointments to the service academies. Also, find out who you know who may know someone who knows you representative (city council members, etc.).

wow thanks for the motivation! But average student that goes into the academy has a 3.9 average GPA with 1940/2400 average SAT score(for AFA).. I dont think I have a good chance there.. maybe if im smart enough.. i can do what Gen. Patton did, transfer from VMI to the academies..

zander_0633 said:
Any idea of a foreign Student can enter those military academiys?
Not unless you become a US citizen. The US service academies only accept US citizens.

zander_0633 said:
Does other country send their Cadets to West Pont Military academy?

Yes, they do. I don't know the details on how they programs work, but there are a handful of foreign students that attend each of the academies. I'm sure that's something that would need to be worked through the foreign gov't process.

Back