Best Mil college other than the academies? - Page 2

--

January 25th, 2006  
JulesLee

http://apps.collegeboard.com/search/...e=qfs&word=VMI

wow VMI seems hard to get into.. well anything is hard for my situation..

well... what are my chances? :s I really wanna go to VMI..
2.3 GPA freshmen (I was really new and got a 1.5 first semester.. also got suspended for a fight.. someone punched me and i punched him back.. it was dumb..)
3.1 GPA sophmore
getting 3.3 junior year as of now.. lol 3A 2B and a C.. 1st semester ending in 2 weeks..
can speak korean as good as english...
my SAT.. ugh i got 1600/2400.. lol strong math weak english.. my goal is 1900 by summer.. lol I should study instead of watching war movies..
3 years in AFJROTC.. will that help? also.. an officer of a social dance club..
I dont mind which branch I go into .. they all seem fun and exciting!
Also I am Korean... which is a big downgrade.. =/ I dont believe in race.. we just have different amount of pigment.. heh well asians are 3.79% of the US population..
My family is not rich.. single parent.. hope I get some scholorship.. heard ROTC pays most of it.. so thats good..
I kinda regret not studying hard.. if I had a 3.9 id try the academies.. heh
  • 56% In-state students
  • 44% Out-of-state students (im in cali)
  • 11% Women
  • 89% Men (go men!)
  • 1% American Indian/Alaskan Native
  • 3% Asian/Pacific Islander (... 3%)
  • 7% Black/Non-Hispanic
  • 5% Hispanic
  • 83% White/Non-Hispanic
  • 1% Non-Resident Alien
  • 12% in top 10th of graduating class
  • 44% in top quarter of graduating class
  • 85% in top half of graduating class
  • 16% had h.s. GPA of 3.75 and higher
  • 19% had h.s. GPA between 3.5 and 3.74
  • 20% had h.s. GPA between 3.25 and 3.49
  • 24% had h.s. GPA between 3.0 and 3.24
  • 19% had h.s. GPA between 2.5 and 2.99
  • 2% had h.s. GPA between 2.0 and 2.49
Size
  • Degree-seeking undergrads: 1,369
  • First-time degree-seeking freshmen: 363
wow school is pretty small.. 363 people.. so around 726 people applied.. chose 50%
January 25th, 2006  
msgtmedleyusmc

If you keep working your GPA will be up enough for VMI. Plus, showing progress over high school is very helpful.

Being Korean will probably help if they only have 3% asians.

Apparently, the SAT has changed its scale, since 1600 was a perfect score when I took it.

Also VMI has not been coed for that long. I expect the % women to go up every year. If you like the idea of VMI, go ahead and apply. Lexington is a beautiful place. There are plenty of girls schools nearby for social occasions (althought the mailman suits the VeeMees wear make them somewhat less competitive in that area than W&L, Hampden Sydney or UVa).

I would contact your local congress person's office about appointments to the service academies. Also, find out who you know who may know someone who knows you representative (city council members, etc.).
January 25th, 2006  
zander_0633

AHey ay idea how I can get into Sandhurst Military School in UK?
--
January 25th, 2006  
JulesLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgtmedleyusmc
If you keep working your GPA will be up enough for VMI. Plus, showing progress over high school is very helpful.

Being Korean will probably help if they only have 3% asians.

Apparently, the SAT has changed its scale, since 1600 was a perfect score when I took it.

Also VMI has not been coed for that long. I expect the % women to go up every year. If you like the idea of VMI, go ahead and apply. Lexington is a beautiful place. There are plenty of girls schools nearby for social occasions (althought the mailman suits the VeeMees wear make them somewhat less competitive in that area than W&L, Hampden Sydney or UVa).

I would contact your local congress person's office about appointments to the service academies. Also, find out who you know who may know someone who knows you representative (city council members, etc.).
wow thanks for the motivation! But average student that goes into the academy has a 3.9 average GPA with 1940/2400 average SAT score(for AFA).. I dont think I have a good chance there.. maybe if im smart enough.. i can do what Gen. Patton did, transfer from VMI to the academies..
January 26th, 2006  
zander_0633

Any idea of a foreign Student can enter those military academiys?
January 26th, 2006  
AJChenMPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander_0633
Any idea of a foreign Student can enter those military academiys?
Not unless you become a US citizen. The US service academies only accept US citizens.
January 27th, 2006  
zander_0633

Does other country send their Cadets to West Pont Military academy?
January 27th, 2006  
Fox

I don't think so, zander.
January 27th, 2006  
JulesLee

I think most countries hav a military academy of their own..
January 27th, 2006  
Insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander_0633
Does other country send their Cadets to West Pont Military academy?
Yes, they do. I don't know the details on how they programs work, but there are a handful of foreign students that attend each of the academies. I'm sure that's something that would need to be worked through the foreign gov't process.