• P'okpoong-Ho [North Korea]

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
READ BEFORE VOTING FOR EACH MBT OVERVIEW

Merkava IV
Country of origin: Israel
Weight: 65 tons
Crew: 4
Armour:Classified composite matrix of laminated ceramic-steel-nickelalloy. Sloped modular design.
Primary Weapon: 120mm Smoothbore with ATGM capability
Engine: 1,500HP turbocharged Diesel Engine
Operational Range: 500km
Maximum Speed: 64km/h

T-90
Country of Origin: Russian Federation
Weight: 46.5 Tons
Crew: 3
Armour: Steel-Composite-Reactive Blend
Primary Armament: 125mm Smoothebore with ATGM capability
Engine: Various models of diesel engines
Operational Range: 550km
Maximum Speed: 60km/h

Leclerc
Country of Origin: France
Weight: 54.5 tons
Armour: Steel, titanium, NERA
Primary Armament: 120mm smoothebore
Engine: 1,500hp 8-cylinder diesel engine
Operation Range: 550km
Maximum Speed: 71km/h

Leopard 2
Country of Origin: Germany
Weight: 62.3 Tons
Armour: 3rd generation composite, including steel, tungsten and plastic filler with ceramic component
Primary Armament: 120mm smoothbore
Engine: 1,479hp twin turbo-diesel engine
Operation Range: 550km
Maximum Speed: 72km/h

M1 Abrams
Country of Origin: United States of America
Weight: 61.3 tons
Armour: Chobham, RHA, steel encased depleted uranium mesh plating
Primary Armament: 120mm Smoothbore
Engine: 1,500hp multi-fuel turbine engine
Operation Range: 465km
Maximum Speed: 67.7km/h

Challenger 2
Country of Origin: United Kingdom
Weight: 62.5 tons
Armour: Chobham, Dorchester level 2
Primary Armament: 120mm rifled gun
Engine: 1,200hp diesel engine
Operation Range: 450km
Maximum Speed: 59km/h

Type 99
Country of Origin: Peoples Republic of China
Weight: 54 tons
Armour: Classified, ERA
Primary Armament: 120mm smoothbore [Compatible with Chinese 140mm]
Engine: 1,500hp liquid-cooled diesel
Operation Range: 600km
Maximum Speed: 80km/h

P'okpoong-Ho
Country of Origin: North Korea
Weight: 44 tons
Armour: Cast Turret and spaced armour
Primary Armament: 125mm Smoothbore with ATGM capability
Engine: Unknown, possible Russian diesel
Operation Range: 450km
Maximum Speed: 60km/h

Maybe you should vote for it in the poll then, easier to keep track of stuff.

Like 100 people might think the Leclerc is the best, but not vote for it, and we would be none the wiser.

from what i had seen even the mark 2 and the mark 3 can go head to head with any of the tankks out there.
its just ne awsome pieace of machine

the problem again is, we cant know becuase these will never go up against each other, but if you had a certain amount of money to spend on the tanks, and had crews of equal quality i like the T-90, their cheap, its light, fast, manuverable, and has a gun that can penentrate a abrams, they are death traps and exstemely uncomfortable, but hey they work. Also the latest russian ERA is proof of the latest abrams rounds. Also a factor is the type of battle, in a long range shot out the western tanks will win, but in mid to short range the t-90 numbers and speed would win.

M1 is actually about 7km/h faster.

The Chinese T-99 is the fastest in this group by 8km/h to the second fastest [The German Leopard 2]

I have to query the stats. Challenger 2 was coming into service as I was bowing it. Our Crane Fruehauf trailers on the Tk Tptr had a max load weight of 65 tons, the Chally 2 weighed in at 70 tons, causing stress fractures on the trailers. Now they might have lightened the load a bit, but still!

Based on pure stats I would go for the fastest, as most of the armour seems to be pretty effective and the 120mm cannon is the dogs b@llo^ks, so that covers firepower, protection and manouverability. The next question is crews and firepower systems, but that could lead to a real Gordian knot of a discussion, so I'll save us all having to cut theknot by saying British Army, all the way - there it is out there!

The most important thing would probably be the fire control system. Both of these tanks have top notch systems from my understanding.

I bet you that all these tanks have excellent fire control systems.

Only two that I would question would be the T-99 and the Pokpoong-ho

Voted for the Merkava as well, the rear hatch and where the engine is placed seems to me to give the tank such clear inginuitivness.... on paper, since the odds of all these tanks going toe to toe, is almost slim to none, bout the only thing you can compare is paper stats and what the operators can say about this tank in the field, but the problem amounts is that those crews in the field generally only know their tank, and with heavy price tags, I don't see their branch of service spending money to buy another heavy piece of war machine, just so they could take it for a spin....Let alone translate all the toolings on the foreign tank...

I guess the closest thing you can achieve is pretty much guestimation

Speed is rather a problematic factor. Tanks dont go full speed in combat usually, and if they do they dont do it over long distances. You go full speed its harder to see the enemy and kill him. Also takes a bunch of fuel and ruines the tacks....Tanks arnt race cars.

Type-99, T-90 and PingPong tanks shouldnt even be here, T-90 in its absolutely best variants is comparable to modern MBTs and even then not in every field (crew comfort, hull armor, optics).

Type-99 is i suspect something of a hybrid between 2nd and 3gen tanks but still significantly inferior to Western 3rd gen MBTs on all fields.

Pingpong is comparable to a T-64 so it doesnt even qualify to be placed next to 3gen tanks.

As for the rest i seriously doubt in their best variants there's enough differences to actually claim one is significantly better then the rest, personally i'd go with M1 or Merkava but i doubt they're quantum leap over say 2A6, its unlikely you'd notice a difference and the greatest advantage would be tactical rather then stemming from hardware quality.

As for speed, tanks on march move with the speed of the slowest vehicle in the column so they dont move top speed, cross country they dont move at top speed for a variety of reasons, fuel consumption, letting slower elements of the unit keep up and difficulty with killing the enemy so unless the speed is significantly slow (40kmph roadspeed) it doesnt really matter much.

i think T-90 is best and most exported tank of this decade. India will have 1000+ tanks and Saudi 350 tanks and some tanks in small numbers to small countries....
if it is not the best why would it have been sucessfull and exported in large no's for foreign countries.

if it is not the best why would it have been sucessfull and exported in large no's for foreign countries.

Because such counties do not possess the defense spending nor development of armament's as countries like the US, UK, Russian Federation, ect... so they must buy on the cheap, can't buy Caviar when you living in a box.

Back