Best King or Queen of England ?

Padre said:
:-x Claymore, did you know that ***** Elizabeth I murdered Mary Queen of Scots ???
Elizabeth had her killed for plotting against her.
There is dispute over whether it was a real plot, or a set up by the English secret service (yes we did have one, even then ), but the point was, she did join in the plot.

Hmm I will pick a far less conspicuous monarch as my "best" (of modern times) and go with Edward VII.

Edward's forays into foreign policy had direct bearing on the alliances between Great Britain and both France and Russia, and aside from his sexual indiscretions, his manner and style endeared him to the English populace.

Basically he built the alliances that won WW1 and 2 and came across as man of the people and that is a winner to me.

Well of course you get a great deal of horses for courses, and a constant that the biggest and baddest villain of all takes the pot if you wind back. From William the Conquerer and his Norman aristocracy distribution, who are still in power today, onwards, think Mafia.

My school was founded on the banks of the Thames when bluff King Harry was on the throne and favoured sport and learning (first line of my school anthem,:wink: ) 1535, and I don't wish to stand here spouting all day, so I have to say Queen Elizabeth 11 in all respects of constitutional monarchy. Her record is readily and obviously available.

However, my opinion is pinned without doubt on the future, with the no.2 heir to the throne, Prince William, now Duke of Cambridge. He is a man of today, search and rescue pilot, 2 days honeymoon and back to work, great charity man, and his pedigree is immaculate, far more Royal British than the Hanovers, in that, through his mother, he descends from the Stuarts, such as Charles 1 and Charles 11, and therefore unites the line once again. Uncanny to see those Stuart eyes looking at you. And he has a fantastic bride. Lordy Lordy - what a King and Queen. Wills the most royal.

Barring accidents he is the man for the job. Can he have my vote; well he has it, but is it legitimate? If not, I'll take the Queen Elizabeth 11, I slept on the pavement outside Buck Palace all night on the eve of her marriage to Prince Phillip as a kid.

Last edited:
Going to agree with Claymore and say Elisabeth I. Who put and end to the murderous reign of Queen Mary and promoted England from a backwater Island to European superpower.

Going to agree with Claymore and say Elisabeth I. Who put and end to the murderous reign of Queen Mary and promoted England from a backwater Island to European superpower.

Nice one MM. But remember that they were ALL murderous.

Incidently, my grandmother was Huegenot; I am from long lines of flee-ers from murderous regimes and situations; I don't think I have left anyone out. Now that's what I call English!:)

Back