Best Helicopters

I think helicopters are pretty useless in today's battlefields as they are easily vulnerable and slow. Yet when it comes to heavy missiles, repeated gunfire and loud military sounds, the helicopters are the best. It's just that they seem so much vulnerable

I disagree, I think that helicopters (More transport than attack) can still be effective in counter-insurgency situations. The Mi-24's in Afghanistan worked wonders until the rebels started getting Stinger MANPADS from the United States, but in more recent times I don't think any attack helicopters were used by the Russians in 2008 during the South Ossetia conflict (Please correct me if I'm wrong!).

its so strange...but i just have to speak my peace about helicopters, the technological advances to protect them from antipated battlefield weapons...and what can actually take one down.

No matter how good the technology developed to actually offset the technological advantage of a defense... when all else fails sometimes the old ways work best of all.

For an example: during the Viet Nam war, when the US forces were being placed in an air mobile war footing, it was strange how the vietanese forces always looked for a simple and pragmatic way of dealing with the situation.

During one patrol sweep, a US military force actually found a giant cross bow, with steel rebar rods to be used as bolts, posistioned near what appeared to be a current helicopter air path commonly used by US forces. It wasnt that the device was ever noted to be sucessful in actually downing a helicopter: what was more notable that the Viet nam forces had reconised that it might be a sure way of nailing a helicopter was a bolt through the blades of the current design of the helicopter. Folks, you even bend the blades on a two rotor helicopter...and it sets up a vibration and possible catostrophic failure of the system that if nothing else required a team of mechanics to sweat and curse the repair and testing of the repair that would remove a helicopter from service.

technology my hot buttered tail bone. there aint no such thing as an ignorant enemy, only ignorant dreamers. or somthing to that effect.

bring on the hot flame blasts ...:shock:

What do you mean by "bend the blades" ?

Hitting and kocking the blades out of snyc on a two rotor configuration helo like a Ch 46 would mean a catastrophic rotor collision and utter loss of lift...But you would have to hit it pretty hard, on a CH 47 those rotors are pretty big.

Hitting and kocking the blades out of snyc on a two rotor configuration helo like a Ch 46 would mean a catastrophic rotor collision and utter loss of lift...But you would have to hit it pretty hard, on a CH 47 those rotors are pretty big.

the chinook is a mystical piece of machinery, that stays airborne using just pixie dust mixed with a single chuck norris chest hair.

Last edited:
I'll put my vote in for the MH-53J. Able to hit the deck, get in and get out of where it needs to be with enough armor, and speed to keep in the air, enough engine power to lift an F-15. And 3 M2/ M134 guns. Too bad that they were retired though.

I prefer any helicopter that can get my butt out of trouble. Then I don´t care what it's called. ;-)

Last edited:
I prefer any helicopter that can get my butt out of trouble. Then I don´t care what it's called. ;-)

I think that somtimes people in aircraft industries today forget that that was the orignal idea when helos where put into service decades ago,...that and mail carrying.

the chinook is a mystical piece of machinery, that stays airborne using just pixie dust mixed with a single chuck norris chest hair.

So true. The Chinooks date back to when Jet Airliners were a new thing,to when you needed a church key to open a beer can to when a "computer" was the size of your livingroom,but really about as powerful as your current laptop or desktop.

Like the crocodile,it's the exception to the notion of planned obsolescence.

Football stadiums wear out faster. ;)

Still I think I would prefer something with analogue instruments with just a Tom Tom or something stuck on the cockpit window, more focus on flying and not the mobile radioshack of panels in your lap like on today's rotary tech wonders.

I couldn't fly and attack copter either...I would just wanna fly, not be caught up with other functions that detract from that.

It's funny, today some military helos have been said to have advanced autopilot systems so the flight crews can focus on other aircraft functions. Not calling it a bad idea, but it's like flying the aircraft nowa days must seem like a nuisance in face of all this new airborne technology.

I still love the hind. Big, fast, heavily armed, and still able to carry a squad of troops. In my book the best helicopter out there. It has been improved since the soviets invasion of afghanistan and now has modern, lighter armor, modern weapons, and new engines with a lower heat signature. The new ate superhind is pretty sick too.

ATE_Mi-24_Super_Hind_Mk_III_01.jpg

IDK for sure because I looked around and I couldn't find any info on that. All I found was the new composite rotor blades and redesigned exhaust vents.

I'm also a fan of the AH-64D and the Mi-28. I would like to see the Mi-28 with Longbow radar and western weapons some day cause that would probably be my favorite.

Last edited:
Back