The best Gas Mask available to the world military

It depends all on the filter. The battlefields have moved on from trench warfare to fighting in built up areas and then we face threats from chemical manufacturing plants as well as regular combat gas. The standard issued filter for your gas mask may not stop aerosoles, formaldehyd or ammonia as the molecules may be to small to be stopped, so you need a second one for industrial pollution. However, the filter for industrial pollution may not stop combat gasses as the filter is compiled differently than the other, and so on and so on.

I haven't tried any other gas masks than the standard NATO issued, but as long as the mask is used properly and you have the correct filter all masks will do the job - though those with a integrated hood may be slightly better.

Last edited:
Actually I don't want to buy one! hehe, I dont need one!

I was thinking of the basic anti CW training I received in bootcamp and there we had lots of German made gas masks that we were told they are the best beside the Americans' and Israelis'

At the moment the German Army is still using the M65

best-nr_2.81.jpg

The new one will be the "Schutzmaske 2000"

http://www.deutschesheer.de/portal/PA_1_0_LT/PortalFiles?yw_repository=youatweb&yw_contentURL=%2FC1256F87004CF5AE%2FW26A2AB7193INFODE%2FABC-Schutzmaske_2000-140x177.jpg

It has a larger field of view, a bayonet fixing for the filter for the better use of the weapon optics, a connection to the drinking system and a speech diaphragm for better communication.

I don't know if it is the best gas mask of the world but compared to the M65 it's much better.

Last edited:
systemlord said:
At the moment the German Army is still using the M65

best-nr_2.81.jpg

The new one will be the "Schutzmaske 2000"

http://www.deutschesheer.de/portal/PA_1_0_LT/PortalFiles?yw_repository=youatweb&yw_contentURL=%2FC1256F87004CF5AE%2FW26A2AB7193INFODE%2FABC-Schutzmaske_2000-140x177.jpg

It has a larger field of view, a bayonet fixing for the filter for the better use of the weapon optics, a connection to the drinking system and a speech diaphragm for better communication.

I don't know if it is the best gas mask of the world but compared to the M65 it's much better.

This is the one I had during the service

Whatever the US is using...?

I dunno...either US, German, or Israeli-made sounds about right. The israelis have to worry about it a bit more than the rest of us, though.

U.S . Army uses the M40 and older M17A2. The M17A2 is quickly fading from service and the M40 is filling in the slots.

M40 (MOPP 4 Ready)
mask001.jpg

M17A2 (MOPP 4 Ready)
M17A2_mask3.jpg

The big difference is the filters. The M17 has internal cheek filters that won't stop any chemical or biological agents containing oil or moisture, the M40 will. Also the M40 uses the new NATO standard fliters, and a varity o others.

zander_0633 said:
Does the M40 goes on the face or over the entire head?

The mask itself goes just over the face, but with MOPP on it goes to the ears, then the hood goes ovr the rest of the head.

zander_0633 said:
So is a gas mask that covers the whole head better or one that covers only the face?

Depends on the situation and types of chemical or biological agents used.

The U.S. Military has a system called MOPP or Mission Oriented Protective Posture.

There are four levels of MOPP;

MOPP Level 0 -- None of the protective clothing and equipment is worn, but it is readily available.
MOPP Level 1 -- The overgarment and helmet cover are worn.
MOPP Level 2 -- Overboots are added.
MOPP Level 3 -- Chemical protective mask and hood are added. At this point personnel are completely encapsulated.
MOPP Level 4 -- Butyl rubber gloves are added.

Here's a picture of a soldier full cald with MOPP gear.

image1.gif

Here is also a link on MOPP
http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/mopp/fig1.htm

Would that make the solider very hot in the whole suit?? BTW how long does it take for a normal solider to wear the whole thing, everyting?

zander_0633 said:
Would that make the solider very hot in the whole suit?? BTW how long does it take for a normal solider to wear the whole thing, everyting?

Well it depends on what level you are at and what type of agents are being used.

Yes, it is very hot in MOPP gear, if you want to know just ask a soldier that was with the ground forces that first entered Iraq back in 2003.

Back