best frigate

CPrime

Wich frigate is the best? I think the dutch LCF is.

http://the_kitsune.tripod.com/Rifts-Earth-Vehicles/Zeven_Provincien_Frigate.htm

LCF_tcm10-1405.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the US moving away from Frigates? I thought they were going for the multirole capability of the Arleigh Burke Class Destroyers and missile Cruisers?

egoz said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the US moving away from Frigates? I thought they were going for the multirole capability of the Arleigh Burke Class Destroyers and missile Cruisers?

That's right, our frigates are being slowly pushed out and the arleigh burke class of destroyers is taking over. Sensible, considering the Arleigh Burkes are faster than even our most high-speed frigates, and MUCH more heavily armed.

Their main role is the protection of shipping and anti-submarine warfare. So they are usually part of carrier groups protecting the carrier from submarines and provide a little bit of protection from anti-ship missiles.
The draw back is the new FFG Guided Missile Cruisers of the Oliver Perry Class, aren't as versatile as the Burke Class Destroyers. The technology in general (radar, sonar, radio, etc) is all around better than the Perry Class. I believe the Burke class also provides a bit of stealth technology too, something I know the Perry Class doesn't have.

see now thats where i get confused... isnt it the same as destroyer and cruiser goals? im not really good with navy stuff...

A lot of the stuff is technical differences that include ship design and weapons systems. You can look at the Arleigh Burke Class and see it has a wider array of surface to air electronics and defense systems than the Oliver Perry Class frigates. Which is very important because of the air to surface threats. I'm not possitive, but I'm pretty sure the Burke Class was designed to overlap and possibily help to phase out the Perry Class frigates. The main limitations most likely being ship design in the Perry class. The Burke Class was developed more recently and has better littoral capabilities than the Perry Class (can operate better in shallow waters close to land). Which is a huge plus since open water engagements don't seem to be much of a possibility in the near future. They all can engage and fuction well in blue water, but the added capability of littoral operations is a plus.

The dutch and french La Fayette(?) frigates are the best looking, i believe that the tonnage of the Dutch frigate is closer to that of destroyers than that of frigates.

The dutch and french La Fayette(?) frigates are the best looking, i believe that the tonnage of the Dutch frigate is closer to that of destroyers than that of frigates.

The LCF actually is a destroyer if you look at it technically. But it is considered a frigate because the Netherlands always has been ruled by leftwing softies that didn't want to have an agressive military force. So they decided that the Dutch navy should not have anything bigger then a frigate. If a war ship technically is, then they will name and consider it as a frigate to make it seem to be less agressive.

They even didn't want to call a new sub after a sharkspecy because sharks are agressive.

Personally I think the Anzac class frigate, as below. Not the prettiest ship getting around, but it does the job.

Specs below:
Main Armament
Comprises one 5 inch (127mm) gun capable of firing 20 rounds a minute, ship launched Mk. 46 torpedoes, and a Mk. 41 vertical launch system for the Evolved Sea Sparrow point defence system.

Warramunga is the first warship in the world to be fitted with the Sea Sparrow Missile anti-missile defence system.

Ship dimensions and crew numbers
The ship has an overall length of 118 metres with a beam of 14.8 metres, and displaces 3,800 tonnes.

With the chopper crew embarked, the complement is 173 Officers and Sailors.

Kaman Super Seasprite Helicopter
A single Kaman Super Seasprite helicopter is carried, with its sensors and Penguin anti-ship missiles, significantly enhansing its anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare capabilities.

anzac-1.jpg

This one is the HMAS Warramunga Anzac class frigate.

HMASWarramunga.gif

Back